Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

russbo.com attacked by "Great Chinese Firewall"?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• russbo.com attacked by "Great Chinese Firewall"?

One of the reasons why my personal server, x.russbo.com, which previously held the forums, libraries, video streaming, communications, etc, was "slow", was because it was being attacked, on an "every thirty second" basis, by the server controlled by SXBC TV in Xian Shaanxi, China. (IP address 210.87.136.171). This behavior was first noticed by me, upon perusal of my server logs, back in November 2005.

It has been suggested, that this might be part of the so-called "Great Chinese Firewall" (which you can search for in the Member Services / Russbopedia).

Now that I've moved everything to newer, faster, "online" servers, this no longer appears to be an issue. Well, at least until they find us again.

Interesting that they waste their time attacking us.
    Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

"You're just a jaded cynical mother****er...." Jeffpeg

(more comments in my User Profile)
    russbo.com

GTFO, newbs!
    Becoming what I've dreamed about.

Comment

You need to block it with the great russbo firewall..

Comment

by posting the name and IP address are you suggesting we should do something about it? We don't want to overstep our boundaries...unlesss....no one would know....I know a guy who...nvm
        "What is barely legal?" - Ali G

Comment

Originally posted by tetsumaru
          by posting the name and IP address are you suggesting we should do something about it? We don't want to overstep our boundaries...unlesss....no one would know....I know a guy who...nvm
          No, by posting the name and address I am just showing accuracy and honesty. I have no reason to start causing them issues, despite the fact that they first started with us.

I have other, more concerning things, to deal with, than those people. Not sure what they expected to accomplish.
          Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

russbo.com

Comment

hmm, that problem can be easily solved.....
            not by me of course!!

Comment

If you hack them, they'll launch nukes at Taiwan and blame it on you.
              Becoming what I've dreamed about.

Comment

what's the story with be logged out nearly everytime I try to post?? Is there something I can do?
                Last edited by blooming tianshi lotus; 01-23-2006, 02:32 AM.

Comment

It is an issue with IE not playing well with the new software. I have sent out PM's to all about this issue.

If you have to use IE, make sure that you go to http://www.russbo.org/vb, and not, http://russbo.org/vb.... The "www" is important for the cookies. I have cleaned up the entire site (I think) and made all the http calls to include www.

Second, clear all your cookies in IE, and try logging in again.

This is an issue, which doesn't seem to occur with FF or Netscape. The site works better with Mozilla based browsers, sorry. We're working on getting this issue with IE nailed down. Please email me directly if you have any further problems, or if you find any links that do not include the "www" (as the lack of that will screw up the cookies that the server sends to you)

russbo.com

Comment

Originally posted by blooming tianshi lotus
                    what's the story with be logged out nearly everytime I try to post?? Is there something I can do?
                    Maybe it's another Evil Plot by the Russbo Cult. (And she called me a Drama Queen?)
                    I do not have a psychiatrist and I do not want one, for the simple reason that if he listened to me long enough, he might become disturbed.
                    "Life can keep providing the rain and I'll keep providing the parade."
                    "I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle."
                    "Whatever guy said that money don't buy you pleasure didn't know where to go shopping"

Comment

oor it could be something simple and less conspirital like maybe downloading some some software....

kind of still travelling and on different computers all the time here so not really in position to download much of anything ...

thx for the advice ... the moment I arrive somewhere will definately check that out l-)

cheers

BtL

Comment

Google blocks itself in China

US tech firms that abet China censors face scrutiny
                        Reuters
                        WASHINGTON - Google Inc's decision to block politically sensitive terms on its new Chinese search site has drawn the scrutiny of U.S. lawmakers, who next month will probe American technology companies that help Beijing's censors.
                        Representatives from Google and other Internet companies have been called to a Congressional Human Rights Caucus hearing on Wednesday and to a February 16 session of the House of Representatives subcommittee on Global Human Rights.
                        The hearings follow Google's announcement on Tuesday that the company would block taboo terms in China such as democracy, Tibet, Falun Gong, and not offer e-mail, chat and Web log (blog) publishing services that could be used for political protest.
                        The moves by lawmakers come as Internet experts are evaluating the effectiveness of the self-censorship, which one Chinese blogger called Google's "eunuch version" -- a reference to the emasculated palace servants of historic China.
                        Human Rights Subcommittee Chairman Chris Smith, a New Jersey Republican, has invited Google, Yahoo, Microsoft and Cisco, as well as State Department officials and press freedom watchdog groups to the Feb 16. hearing, he said in a statement.
                        Smith, a frequent critic of China's human rights practices, seized on Google's corporate motto, "Don't be evil," saying in a statement that the firm "would enable evil by cooperating with China's censorship policies just to make a buck."
                        Smith told Reuters: "The question is not whether companies should be promoting democracy. The real question is should they partner with the secret police in cracking down on dissidents and enabling human rights abuses?"
                        CODE OF CONDUCT
                        Freedom of speech advocates, who have been critical of U.S. companies that have compromised with Chinese authorities, are pressing for U.S. legislation establishing a code of conduct for Internet companies working in countries deemed repressive in annual U.S. State Department human rights reports.
                        "Our lobbying within the United States is calling for a bipartisan effort to support us in getting the legislation passed," said Tala Dowlatshahi, the New York representative of Reporters Without Borders, a France-based watchdog group.
                        She said the group was also pressing shareholder groups of those companies to insist on upholding "ethics, principles and universal standards" enshrined in the Geneva Convention.
                        The legislation envisioned by Reporters Without Borders was spelled out in a January 6 online campaign calls on U.S. firms to refrain from hosting e-mail servers, filtering search engines, hosting blogs and discussion forums in repressive countries.
                        The proposal would either ban U.S. firms from selling Internet censorship software to repressive states or force them to make censorship of some terms impossible.
                        It would also require firms to get Department of Commerce permission to sell Internet censorship equipment or conduct related training in countries deemed repressive by the State Department.
                        In Davos, Switzerland on Wednesday, Google co-founder Sergey Brin told Reuters that China's government had already been censoring the search engine.
                        The decision to block sensitive terms on the China site "is not something I enjoy," Brin said, "but I think it was a reasonable decision."

Copyright 2006 Reuters News Service.
                        I do not have a psychiatrist and I do not want one, for the simple reason that if he listened to me long enough, he might become disturbed.
                        "Life can keep providing the rain and I'll keep providing the parade."
                        "I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle."
                        "Whatever guy said that money don't buy you pleasure didn't know where to go shopping"

Comment

Working...
                        X