Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cross-straits visits hit record high in 2005

Cross-straits visits hit record high in 2005

BEIJING, Jan. 28 (Xinhuanet) -- More than four million residents from Taiwan came to the mainland in 2005, hitting a record high, while 160,000 mainland residents visited the Taiwan island, an official with the Taiwan Affairs Office of the State Council said on Saturday.

Dai Xiaofeng, head of the exchange bureau of the Taiwan Affairs Office of the State Council (SCTAO) told Xinhua that since1987, accumulatively 38 million Taiwanese residents have come to the mainland for business affairs or family reunions, and more than 1.2 million mainlanders went to the island.

"Communication and exchange across the Taiwan Straits underwent an uncommon year. By earnestly implementing the consensus reached between Hu Jintao, General Secretary of the Central Committee of the Communist Party of China, and former Kuomintang leader Lien Chan as well as People First Party Chairman James Soong, the cross-Straits exchanges have expanded to more sectors," said Dai.

A series of cultural exchange activities, such as the Cross-Straits Art Festival and the Cross-Straits Forum on Cultural Exchange and Cooperation, were initiated in 2005.

The cross-Straits exchanges in fields of agriculture, water conservancy, trade unions and religious activities, were all strengthened in 2005, said Dai.

He noted that the mainland would push forward the cross-Straits exchanges in all the fields in 2006 as always and offer conveniences for Taiwan compatriots to study and work on mainland in the year.

ZhongwenMovies.com

As I see it, just China's way of integrating, and eventually taking back, Taiwan.

But, I'm just jaded anc cynical.
    Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

"You're just a jaded cynical mother****er...." Jeffpeg

(more comments in my User Profile)
    russbo.com

Comment

am apprehensive about the idea, but had the same thought nonetheless..
      ZhongwenMovies.com

Comment

onesp1ng, you live in taiwan right? I have never been to Taiwan. What is that like?...seems like china is trying grab control over everything. Does it feel like there is a strong influence from the mainland?
        "What is barely legal?" - Ali G

Comment

tets, I lived there for a few years, though sadly i just moved back about a month ago in order to attend school.

Taiwan is truly a nice place. Of course it's influenced by the mainland in terms of it's role and relationship with other countries in the world, yet, taiwan is essentially free from Chinese rule and it's manipulation at the moment. Taiwan will only agree to unification if or when the ruling chinese government denounces communism, for Taiwanese people are looking toward their future growth and development, and they see communism as an element of their somewhat backward past, at least according to most sources and the people I've discussed this with. Apparently about 50% of the population still desires unification, the other half, independence. Honestly, i hope it never happens, but it will........... someday.... One very important aspect are the conditions under which China stipulates a declaration of war on Taiwan is warranted. Taiwanese aren't allowed to hold any organized rallies against the mainland or hold a vote for independence. mmm, i believe there are three conditions in total, but I've forgotten one.

Taiwanese have a different mentality when compared to mainlanders, perhaps similar in some ways to people in hongkong. they're some of the most hospitable people I've ever met. Where others are opportunistic, sometimes concealing ulterior motives, their primary interests are education, cultivating family relations and friendships.. Sure, you face stereotypes just like you would in any other part of asia, but it's a laid back, easy to get a long place that will forever remain a part of me.

Think I'll return next summer. Taiwan power!!!!!!!!!!!
          ZhongwenMovies.com

Comment

Originally posted by onesp1ng
            they're some of the most hospitable people I've ever met. Where others are opportunistic, sometimes concealing ulterior motives, their primary interests are education, cultivating family relations and friendships..!
            That's been my experience with Taiwanese. Much different than some of the mainlander's I've met, though not all. Mainlanders seem to have ulterior motives for self advancement, got to agree with that. But, honestly, I don't find Hong Kong people to be hospitable. Not anymore.
            Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

"You're just a jaded cynical mother****er...." Jeffpeg

(more comments in my User Profile)
            russbo.com

Comment

i went with perhaps ... because I've only met a few -- both girls, both "hospitable!"

chinese from HK that are living in the states aren't always so pleasant.
              ZhongwenMovies.com

Comment

Working...
              X