Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Walking

What is walking too much and too long?
    Could I walk like two hours everyday without becoming weak at old age?
    Is walking strenthening the knees?
    =========
    Peace out!

I think walking is great for you. Especially if you push yourself and walk as fast as you can. low impact easy on the knees you can't go wrong. 2 hours is prefect.

Comment

i remember my anthropology 101 prof mentioned something about walking being the best form of exercise.
      "Life is a run. In attack we run, in defense we run. When you can no longer run, time to die" - Shichiroji "Seven samurai"

Comment

A good friend of mine used to go for walks of varying duration while wearing a weighted vest. He swore by it. Personally, I never got into weighted vests, but I love a nice brisk walk from time to time.

Comment

Ah, the weighted vest thingie.

When I worked as a medic on a gay beach in a national park in New York (OK, that's another story, lol) there used to be this really big black guy, who ran up and down the beach wearing one of those weighted vests. Had ankle and wrist weights on also. Not sure if he was working out or trolling for that night's "dinner". The guy was a monster.

Now, running in the sand is a nightmare in and of itself. But it does help to offload some of the shock of running. Adding a weighted vest, which increases the load on the lumbar spine, hips and knees, significantly I might add, is probably not the best way to run, especially if you run on a hard surface. Hell, just running on a hard surface is not good for your joints; adding the extra weight just makes it even worse.

Be careful if you load yourself up with weight, and then do any exercise that allows impact to your joints.
          Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

"You're just a jaded cynical mother****er...." Jeffpeg

(more comments in my User Profile)
          russbo.com

Comment

doc, you are hilarious
            "Life is a run. In attack we run, in defense we run. When you can no longer run, time to die" - Shichiroji "Seven samurai"

Comment

They say stair climbing is the best. But walking is good too. If you're going to travel somewhere the same distance, walking is more benificial than running. Time, however, is different. Running the same time as walking will obviously bring you to an unequal distance. Unless you run like an old bitch.
              Becoming what I've dreamed about.

Comment

Stair climbing can put undue stress on the knees, all depending upon how high each step is.

I remember our "beloved" boxing coach, who would basically bring anyone into the gym, just to get some money out of them. He had this four hundred pound woman, doing "stair steps", um, on a folding chair.

Put the foot on the metal folding chair, try to step up, watch the chair grunt and groan and bend under the weight, wait for the ambulance and the pack of attorneys to show up.

Not good for the knees. They weren't built to handle stress at that angle.
                Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

"You're just a jaded cynical mother****er...." Jeffpeg

(more comments in my User Profile)
                russbo.com

Comment

But how about like 10 inch stairs, or just a regular flight of stairs? It's not really a "stair" if it doesn't lead anywhere, for example that chair. Shit, I am rhymin this post up like crazy...damn...damn I'm tired...
                  Becoming what I've dreamed about.

Comment

Working...
                  X