what do you believe in?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what do you believe in?

if you believe in the existence of god, or a god, or gods, o goddeses or whatever. why? but keep it simple , im not asking for a heartfelt testimonial.

in counter to, if you do not believe in any thing godly or spiritual then lets hear why.

I notice that thoughts of mortality are the ultimate revealers. its only when your mortality or the mortalityof one you love is threatened that you recognize the changes in your life that must be made.

without mortality, lifewould not matter. but because of our mortality, that we seek to be immortal. death is what makes us alive.

so then, what is life? or for that matter, what is death? and what is the purpose and source to all this madness.
    "Life is a run. In attack we run, in defense we run. When you can no longer run, time to die" - Shichiroji "Seven samurai"

Life?

Right now, life is getting this damn forum market to work, so you can all chip in and keep Maestro in HELL.

Other than that, the whole concept of life and mortality, is quite a fascinating thing, especially when you look at it from the historical and religious aspects, with respect to some of today's more prevalent religions.

Had an interesting conversation today, with a good attorney friend, who was discussion Mormon history with me. I was comparing that with Buddhist and Christian beliefs. The whole concept of "life" and "death", quite interestingly, has some similarities. Even with respect to Islam.
    Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

"You're just a jaded cynical mother****er...." Jeffpeg

(more comments in my User Profile)
    russbo.com

Comment

I believe that the Phillies have a chance to go to the playoffs this season. What, it has to happen eventually.

Comment

Life is a training ground for a higher purpose. It is a way of teaching us to all get along and respect each other or you will end up an outcast forced to live suffer and die all over again until you develop all the attributes needed to move on to the real relm of existance. This is just a training program. This is something I always believed. I do not really have any experiance with philosophy. Which philosopher does my thoery have the most in common with in your opinion?

Comment

mortal,

your philosophy sounds like buddhism, if i am not wrong, isnt that reincarnation?

i can see how recarnation is logical considering the fact that mattercannot be created or destroyed, it would not be logical to say (yet) that the spirit is reincarnated into another life form. and what may i ask is the true plane of existence?

your idea brings an interesting thought, that we are already on the true plane of existence.

are you telling me that before you were born this time around, you were alive in another body? which is from the past?
          "Life is a run. In attack we run, in defense we run. When you can no longer run, time to die" - Shichiroji "Seven samurai"

Comment

I'm saying we are something out of this world. We are souls for all intensive purposes. Our body's can and will be destroyed. I don't belive you will come back as an owl. Just another person who will live, want, lose, suffer and die. Life is all about learning lessons. Some people don't get it so they come back.

Or you can say we are a differnet being all together that is nothing like a human? Just an entity sitting in a pod having what we think is life broadcasted into whatever is your receptors. When your done you step out and are graded. If you fail in 6 months you get another chance at living/learning how to be a good being.

Comment

At 39 the only thing I know for sure is that I don't know, and have a lot of questions. However, a nice elderly woman was kind enough to inform me today, that since I was not born again, I would be going straight to Hell at death. Oh well.

Comment

Well, at least you know where you're going.

While you're down there, there will be a few attorney "friends" that I'd like you to kick the shit out of.

I'll pay you.
                Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

russbo.com

Comment

I believe in my right to punch people who need punching. And I also believe that you should be able to get a free lap dance when you have already spent a whole paycheck at the church of many goddesses.
                  practice wu de

Comment

i dont know what to believe, and this pisses me off.

heres something i pondered for a while.

enlightenment comes with the acceptance of death and unity with the cosmic void.

to realize that when we die, we will return to that from which we came, is strangely comforting and enlightening, we are our own gods.

Comment

I think something along those lines; that since heaven is usually defined as perfect happiness, and since happiness comes from the elimination of desires, then death, or some point very close to death, is heaven/perfect happiness.

This, based on the assumption that being dead, one will have no desires.

It's all speculation anyway, we won't know till we get there, so we might as well have fun with it.
                      Becoming what I've dreamed about.

Comment

enlightenment comes with the acceptance of death and unity with the cosmic void.
                        The cosmic void. Interesting comcept. Now, if you wanted to make things interesting, you'd elaborate on this cosmic void stuff, you know, what happens when you become one with it. The different religions have very different, yet, sometimes very similar, concepts when it comes to life after death.

You should explore that. Uh, I mean, by writing about it.

russbo.com

Comment

there is no one god controlling everything...we are all gods...jesus was nothing special...he was just a human like you or I...every human has the ability to do profound things but we become blinded by religions and beliefs of others that we don't think for ourselves...and when we do try to think for ourselves it becomes cubersome to let go of all the preconceptions we have...the minute you enter the world you are being influenced (or as a lot of you say "controlled")...
                          "What is barely legal?" - Ali G

Comment

Doc, that is a great suggestion, i will do that.

Comment

Happiness doesn't come from the elimination of desires. Happiness comes from scotch and women.

You all are making things more complicated than they need to be.

Comment

Working...
                              X