vaccine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• vaccine

What are the vaccines I should have before going to China?
    And how long does it take to get them? If let's say I'm leaving for China in June 2006, do I have the time to get all those vaccines without problems?
    =========
    Peace out!

Hepatitis A is not a bad thing to get before you go. That's probably the biggest thing, in my opinion, that you have to worrry about (if you're going to northern China).

If you're going to southern China, you might want to look into Yellow Fever shots, and some anti-malarial stuff. But, as far as I know, it's not necessary.

The recombinant stuff for Hepatitis B is not bad, if you can fit it in. Other than that, I don't think anything is "recommended" at this time. It used to be.

Check out this section: http://www.russbo.org/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=29

Where are you going?
    Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

"You're just a jaded cynical mother****er...." Jeffpeg

(more comments in my User Profile)
    russbo.com

Comment

I'm going in Song Shan surroundings so I should only get Hepatitis A?
      I believe I've already had the B ones.
      Is the A done in more than one shot?

Oh and if I only eat vegetarian food there, do you think it would minimize my chances of getting a disease?

"Hepatitis A vaccines

Techniques for growing HAV in cell culture have made it possible to generate sufficient amounts of virus for vaccine production. Several inactivated or live attenuated vaccines against hepatitis A have been developed, but only four inactivated hepatitis A vaccines are currently available internationally. All four vaccines are similar in terms of efficacy and side-effect profile. The vaccines are given parenterally, as a two-dose series, 6-18 months apart. The dose of vaccine, vaccination schedule, ages for which the vaccine is licensed, and whether there is a paediatric and adult formulation varies from manufacturer to manufacturer. No vaccine is licensed for children younger than one year of age."

Oh this means i should get that vaccine right away if I wish to go in China this summer..
      =========
      Peace out!

Comment

Yes.
        And as for vegetarian food, you would tend to maximize your chances of getting something, even, just the usual Dengfeng dysentery. Vegggies, in some dishes might not be cooked as well as the meat would.

Lots of sections on the site that you should read. The Journals, etc. Damn, I can't remember them all now. But, there's a lot to learn in here.

I might be there this summer also. Not sure yet.
        Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

russbo.com

Comment

Hey, I had my first Hepatitis A shot, but the doctors want to give me many other vaccines... They would suggest having the vaccine against rage because apparently there are a lot of dogs in china with rage. Do you think this vaccine is necessary? Have you seen lot of dogs in Henan province around DengFeng?
          =========
          Peace out!

Comment

Rage? You must mean rabies. Good god, what country are you in.

Rabies shots are not exactly the safest thing in the world, and, prophylactically, they are certainly not recommended. We give rabies vaccine to people who have been exposed to rabies virus (those that have been bitten by dogs that have established or probable rabies disease).

I have never seen a dog in Henan with rabies. Regardless, rabies shots prophylactically are NOT in order.

russbo.com

Comment

"Rage? You must mean rabies. Good god, what country are you in."
              Lol yeah sorry... it's rabies

Ok, so if I get bitten by a dog with rabies, is there an hospital close to songshan mountains so that I can be treated? So I could refuse the rabies vaccine they want to give me here.

Anything to say about japanese encephalitis? They want me to have this vaccine too.
              =========
              Peace out!

Comment

SD, what's up brother? The hep shots are a good idea but don't you think the rest are superfluous? I've also lived there for a year, and in taiwan for a few, with no shots. I'm not saying you should do that cause it's probably pretty stupid...but I never had a problem. Get the hep shots and be done with it.... and stay away from stray dogs...and japanese people...lol
                ZhongwenMovies.com

Comment

LOL. Yes, stay away from the Japanese also. (they smoke too much and their women have serious attitudes, LOL).

You won't get bitten by a dog with rabies. Unless you like playing with seriously ****ed up dogs. You won't get Japanese encephalitis. I'm surprised that your doctors don't want to start you on antiviral medications prophylactically, as, well, Henan does have a serious AIDS problem.

The hospital in Dengfeng is not my favorite. I'd avoid it. But, the hospital in Zengzhou isn't bad, and the one in Beijing in Wangfujing is very good.

Get the Hepatitis shots, and go have a good time. Read the Survival sections of the site; there are areas buried in russbo.com that will offer you some good advice about living there. Search the Journals areas and the Fugue areas.

russbo.com

Comment

Originally posted by onesp1ng
                    SD, what's up brother? The hep shots are a good idea but don't you think the rest are superfluous? I've also lived there for a year, and in taiwan for a few, with no shots. I'm not saying you should do that cause it's probably pretty stupid...but I never had a problem. Get the hep shots and be done with it.... and stay away from stray dogs...and japanese people...lol
                    yah .. i don't think the Japanese ppl are going to b too hard.. they don't reallly get on so well out there

Anyway, I think you're possibley over-reacting juust a tiny bit. There aare dogs out there, not rabid, possibley dinner, too small not b fresh.
                    Vegetarian diet to avoid the diseases you're not even likely to get ( now that the WHO has implented some storaging standards and such) will just leave you short on protein and eating all sorts of dodgy crap that's probably going to make u sicker and more tired and undernourished anyway... There iis tofo but if man boobs arent a goal, i probably wouldn't get too excited bout that.
                    Just relax. do find a multivit though and if your concerned about getting sick out there, just remember, looads of garlic and chilli ''hot'' water to drink and fruit and juice 'll be your best friends ..
                    sounds fun.. ny .. really, to b that fly on your suitcase ... priceless.. .. lol ..enjoy SD..

Comment

[PHP]Vegetarian diet to avoid the diseases you're not even likely to get ( now that the WHO has implented some storaging standards and such) will just leave you short on protein and eating all sorts of dodgy crap that's probably going to make u sicker and more tired and undernourished anyway.[/PHP].

BL is right on with this. Vegetarianism in China is stupid. It's just my personal opinion, based on experience, since I left undernourished as a result of it...unless you're doing the cooking for yourself...and feeding yourself well. I'd eat a bunch of fish if I were you. With the rice and veggies that are thrown about, you'll be nice.
                      ZhongwenMovies.com

Comment

Working...
                      X