houston kung fu schools

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• houston kung fu schools

I know of Shi De Shan, Shi Xing Ying, Shi Xing Hao, and Shi Yan Feng... plus some other non-Shaolin schools. Can anyone recommend one school over another? To be honest, I checked out Shi De Shan's school and wasn't all that impressed. Thanks.

From what I know Shi Xing Ying is supposed to be very very good at teaching forms and such...so if thats your bag then I'd go there...Shi de Shan used to teach police and other government agencies in china, Qin na and other self-defense apps and he is also supposedly a master in hard qi gong. He is also of the "De" genereation of "monks" which, in my mind means he has more of the traditional teachings to offer...so if you want more of that then hes your man (his website isnt working right now)....here is Shi yan feng's webpage....I think there is a thread on here about him too...I think xing hao is trying to get into movies so if you want to experience that go see him....I think all of these guys have threads under shaolin monks, if you want to more....
    "What is barely legal?" - Ali G

Comment

You might want to look in the ARCHIVE (the old discussion forum). There's some very interesting stuff in there about some of these guys...
      Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

"You're just a jaded cynical mother****er...." Jeffpeg

(more comments in my User Profile)
      russbo.com

Comment

The Forum Archive, The Shaolin Monks, "Abhorrent US Shaolin monk behavior", is an interesting forum topic, which, I think, you'll find enlightening.
        Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

russbo.com

Comment

That was an interesting read. Thanks again for the info. Also, on a side note, I saw Xing Hao referred to as one of the "three tigers" in a post in the archive, I think by Doc. Is that just a nickname or is that part of his fighting style or what?

Comment

He is known as one of the "three tigers" because he was in a book called The Three Tigers" of Shaolin or something like that, which was sponsored by, well, himself, Xing Hong. In the book was also Xing Hao, Xing Hong's friend at the time. The third guy's name escapes me at the moment. Wasn't a bad book, had a lot of pictures of these guys doing what they do.

Xing Hong sent me about two hundred of his books, for me to sell for him, many years ago. Well, they don't sell well, and I still have a closet full of them. Apparently, he had some friends in Hong Kong who devoted some of their publishing skills and materials to make these books. I think they are out of print, and that I was sent the last batch, of what was left, many years ago.

russbo.com

Comment

Oh that makes sense...seemed kind of low budget...btw thanks!...The english translation wasn't so good. On a good note though the people at my school were happy to receive it.

Comment

Originally posted by doc
                He is known as one of the "three tigers" because he was in a book called The Three Tigers" of Shaolin or something like that, which was sponsored by, well, himself, Xing Hong. In the book was also Xing Hao, Xing Hong's friend at the time. The third guy's name escapes me at the moment. Wasn't a bad book, had a lot of pictures of these guys doing what they do.

Xing Hong sent me about two hundred of his books, for me to sell for him, many years ago. Well, they don't sell well, and I still have a closet full of them. Apparently, he had some friends in Hong Kong who devoted some of their publishing skills and materials to make these books. I think they are out of print, and that I was sent the last batch, of what was left, many years ago.

3 Tigers.. Shi Xingxiao, Shi Xinghong and Shi Xinghao

Tons of books still in the closet soft and hard cover. Don't know what they sold for before, but come to Vegas, buy me a beer and lapdance and maybe Doc will let me give you one.
                Attached Files
                I do not have a psychiatrist and I do not want one, for the simple reason that if he listened to me long enough, he might become disturbed.
                "Life can keep providing the rain and I'll keep providing the parade."
                "I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle."
                "Whatever guy said that money don't buy you pleasure didn't know where to go shopping"

Comment

Shi Xing Hao

I train at Shi XIng Hao's school in Houston. We train in traditional shaolin, shaolin weapons, he offers Long Fist (wushu), tai chi and has a demo team that he uses year round for different events. Shi Xing Hao is active in the Chinese community here. The school itself is set up to where students are grouped in levels (1-9 at the moment) and he has tests about every 6 months. Shi Xing Hao is very friendly and speaks good english. I have been with Shi Xing Hao's school for a few years now and enjoy it.
                  Shi Xing Hao is not looking to get into the movies.....

To answer the original post which is the "best" school per say really depends on what you are looking for. My advice to you is to post your questions or what exactly it is you are looking for. It is probably better to visit each school and visit with the monks. Just don't go into these schools with the "show me what you know" attitude or you won't have a good experience. If you need directions or a phone number let me know. Hope this helps.
                  http://americanshaolinkungfu.org/3.html

Comment

so hobo, how's this tiger thing relavent? I mean...did he need to do someething to be considered a "tiger?" Where does that kind of title come from?
                    ZhongwenMovies.com

Comment

of course he didnt do anything to get it...its a marketing scheme...OH the amazing three tigers are gonna open a school!" "whoa dude i want to go there and learn some chay knees karaty!"

He's probably a good MA but I think they are all a little to young to be teaching...or maybe teaching now will make them great teachers later...idk

Comment

Li Peng is the one that wants to go into the movies. I've mentioned this before, in some post, somewhere else, a while ago.

The "three tigers" as no basis in fact for a meaning, as far as I know. It's a good name for a book, and a good name for the guys that got into it. I know of no other reason, from my discussions with XH, for the name, other than the fact that he's a pretty powerful and fast guy (uh, like a tiger...)

russbo.com

Comment

like totally and like far out man.....yeah! I think I'd like to be Shi Onesp1ng the egg laying, stumbling, mumbling platypus....
                          Last edited by onesp1ng; 03-07-2006, 09:29 PM.
                          ZhongwenMovies.com

Comment

The Three Tigers

The "Three Tigers Book" was a publication that was put out to help promote Shaolin. It was published right about the time the first real monk tours were starting up. It doesn't mean they were the only 3 best out of Songshan Shaolin; they were picked because they are very good.

A little background on Xing Hao.....Shi Xing Hao began training at Shaolin in 1985. He was highly skilled and won many tournaments. In 1986, Shi Xing Hao was recommended by Zhenzhou city officials for a full scholarship to train and study at Shaolin. Xing Hao left Shaolin in 1998 to do the World Monk Tour and settled down in Houston after the tour was over. Shi Xing Hao is in his thirties now and thats a good age to be considered a "teacher".

Comment

Originally posted by tetsumaru
                              of course he didnt do anything to get it...its a marketing scheme...OH the amazing three tigers are gonna open a school!" "whoa dude i want to go there and learn some chay knees karaty!"

He's probably a good MA but I think they are all a little to young to be teaching...or maybe teaching now will make them great teachers later...idk

You are not the only one to be skeptical....there are many like you. Shi Xing Hao has worked hard to get to where he is today and he has worked very hard to achieve the skill he has. He is not flamboyant and is a very humble person. He runs his school and is a very good teacher.

Comment

Working...
                              X