No announcement yet.

houston kung fu schools

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

im back bitches, that 3 tigers books is a picture book btw, nice pictures, thanks doc..i think its on my floor somewhere
    "did you ask me to consider dick with you??" blooming tianshi lotus

Comment

I've never actually studied with any of those guys, but I aam a serious shifu snob and Xing Hao is one o' my own dream shifus. If myy input is worth anything 2 u, I've done aloota research about who's teaching what at shaolin, and if u kniw aanything at all about XingHao's shifu ( ShiDeQian) u'd know these men are absolutely legendary Internal masters!!.. Their are 5 main ima skills that've been dealt 2 5 different masters at shaolin and so the mysterious allure beckons ( ) while DeQian is nearly as the old dying and revered Shi Suxi, Xing Hao is probably thee most advanced in that discipline.

U know .. I 'm not just recommending him...I'm kinda jealous.. U're mad if u learn from aanyone else...........

cheers

Comment

Hey, I've been looking around for schools in Houston also and so far I've been most impressed with: Wu Shu Kung Fu Federation Inc. I met with the Grandmaster, Maing Yul Jung, and he teaches at 2 schools - 1 in Clear Lake and 1 on Blalock off I-10. He said I could attend either or both schools for no extra. He seemed really nice and I watched him teach and he was seriously amazing. Accoring to their information sheet their curriculum is: Traditional Chinese Martial Art strething, internal art of BaGua, Tai Chi, Hsing-I, Qigong, external art of Kung Fu, WuShu Acrobatics, 18 weapons, self defense, Chin-na, Jujitsu, Aikido, Full contact SanDa. They have a website: wushuusa.com with information about the school and him and everything and it seems like they're pretty active with events and such. Apparently there is also a school in Spring but I'm not sure who teaches there....I think maybe his son according to this sheet but I'm not sure since he didn't tell me. Check it out though if you are interested.

Also, does anyone here know anything about or attended Wu Shu Kung Fu Federation Inc? If so please let me know also because I'm very curious.

I've checked out some of the schools you mentioned. I liked Xing Hao's school a lot and he was very nice but I was not quite as impressed compared to Wu Shu Kung Fu Federation Inc. The classes also don't work very well with my work schedule. Xing Ying was very nice and all but I was least impressed with his school and classes. De Shan's seemed pretty good and all, but I didn't like the schools environment as much as Wu Shu Kung Fu Federation Inc or Xing Hao's school. His school seemed the most commerial also.

Just thought I'd share what I've found out from my experience. CHeck them all out though. They all give you a free trial class if you want. And if anyone has any information about Wu Shu Kung Fu Federation or Maing Yul Jung let me know please.

Comment

Whenever i think about all these "monk" schools in america (especially in Houston), i cant help but think of those anti-Bush stickers i see here so often:

"If you're not outraged, you havent been paying attention".

Comment

Thanks again for all the input and info. Out of those schools I've most enjoyed Shi Xing Hao's. But like you said hoogax I work until 5:00 during the week so I could only go to his Wednesday and Friday 8:00 class and typically only once over the weekend and I'd really like to be able to go to more than three days. I wish his weekday kung fu classes were at 6:00 or even 5:30 I could probably make instead of 5:00.

Anyway, I'll have to check out that Wushu Kung Fu Fed Inc school. I had heard about that place but nothing specific except someone told me they asked the teacher about the school and he would'nt show them a class or anything. I forget who but someone sent me a message that so I'm suprised he let you see a class.

Comment

no just sign a contract...pay up front....on blind faith!! We won't even show you what we do!! But it's good. Trust me.

And I have to say...I do find it kind of ironic that the least commercial of all the schools visited is called Wushu Kung Fu Fed Inc, and the website address is wushuusa.com. Interesting.

ZhongwenMovies.com

Comment

Originally posted by hoogax
                Hey, I've been looking around for schools in Houston also and so far I've been most impressed with: Wu Shu Kung Fu Federation Inc. I met with the Grandmaster, Maing Yul Jung, and he teaches at 2 schools - 1 in Clear Lake and 1 on Blalock off I-10. He said I could attend either or both schools for no extra. He seemed really nice and I watched him teach and he was seriously amazing. Accoring to their information sheet their curriculum is: Traditional Chinese Martial Art strething, internal art of BaGua, Tai Chi, Hsing-I, Qigong, external art of Kung Fu, WuShu Acrobatics, 18 weapons, self defense, Chin-na, Jujitsu, Aikido, Full contact SanDa. They have a website: wushuusa.com with information about the school and him and everything and it seems like they're pretty active with events and such. Apparently there is also a school in Spring but I'm not sure who teaches there....I think maybe his son according to this sheet but I'm not sure since he didn't tell me. Check it out though if you are interested.

Also, does anyone here know anything about or attended Wu Shu Kung Fu Federation Inc? If so please let me know also because I'm very curious.

I've checked out some of the schools you mentioned. I liked Xing Hao's school a lot and he was very nice but I was not quite as impressed compared to Wu Shu Kung Fu Federation Inc. The classes also don't work very well with my work schedule. Xing Ying was very nice and all but I was least impressed with his school and classes. De Shan's seemed pretty good and all, but I didn't like the schools environment as much as Wu Shu Kung Fu Federation Inc or Xing Hao's school. His school seemed the most commerial also.

Just thought I'd share what I've found out from my experience. CHeck them all out though. They all give you a free trial class if you want. And if anyone has any information about Wu Shu Kung Fu Federation or Maing Yul Jung let me know please.

had an experience one time at that Wushu Kung Fu Federation School. I tried a few classes out before my "shaolin days". One day I walked into the school and was wearing the school shirt and pants. What I didn't know is that they had school shoes too, which I wasn't wearing. I was new at the time and the instructors son (I believe) was teaching the class. He did not know that I signed up the day before for a few classes. The head instructor was not there. Well, the instructor caught on about the shoes and the next thing I knew I was on the receiving end of violation of school rules chew out in front of the whole class. Needless to say I didn't go back after that and felt like the classes were mostly gymnastic in nature. The head instructor was very knowledgeable and had a serious background in Wushu.....but that's all he teaches....Wushu!! I was looking for a little more offense/defense tactics mixed with a little wushu....so I found shaolin and the rest is history!

Houston Shaolin Schools

There are plenty pick from. I find that main reason the monks that branched out here stay here because of the climate. The school hours are average which begin at 5pm for adults. Shi Xing Hao always has an open door and that if you wanted to come by and train you can. Tuesday nights he teaches tai chi at 6:30p but students are always welcomed to stay and train regular kung fu while the tai chi class is going on. But you pick what's best for you.
                http://americanshaolinkungfu.org/3.html

Comment

Originally posted by SongshanMonk
                  had an experience one time at that Wushu Kung Fu Federation School. I tried a few classes out before my "shaolin days". One day I walked into the school and was wearing the school shirt and pants. What I didn't know is that they had school shoes too, which I wasn't wearing. I was new at the time and the instructors son (I believe) was teaching the class. He did not know that I signed up the day before for a few classes. The head instructor was not there. Well, the instructor caught on about the shoes and the next thing I knew I was on the receiving end of violation of school rules chew out in front of the whole class. Needless to say I didn't go back after that and felt like the classes were mostly gymnastic in nature. The head instructor was very knowledgeable and had a serious background in Wushu.....but that's all he teaches....Wushu!! I was looking for a little more offense/defense tactics mixed with a little wushu....so I found shaolin and the rest is history!

Houston Shaolin Schools

There are plenty pick from. I find that main reason the monks that branched out here stay here because of the climate. The school hours are average which begin at 5pm for adults. Shi Xing Hao always has an open door and that if you wanted to come by and train you can. Tuesday nights he teaches tai chi at 6:30p but students are always welcomed to stay and train regular kung fu while the tai chi class is going on. But you pick what's best for you.
                  Which one of the Wushu Kung Fu Fed schools out of curiousity was that at SongshanMonk?

And that's good to know about Xing Hao's. I didn't know you could go by whenever and train. Do many people do that when he teaches the Tai Chi class? And it shows that he has long fist class on Thursday at 6:30. Even if you aren't in that class can you train during then also because apparently not everyone can be part of the long fist class, like you have to be a certain level he said so if you're not part of that class can you still train your own thing during it? I'd just like to be able to go more than three days and I can't make those 5:00 classes. Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by Nards
                    Which one of the Wushu Kung Fu Fed schools out of curiousity was that at SongshanMonk?

And that's good to know about Xing Hao's. I didn't know you could go by whenever and train. Do many people do that when he teaches the Tai Chi class? And it shows that he has long fist class on Thursday at 6:30. Even if you aren't in that class can you train during then also because apparently not everyone can be part of the long fist class, like you have to be a certain level he said so if you're not part of that class can you still train your own thing during it? I'd just like to be able to go more than three days and I can't make those 5:00 classes. Thanks!

Wushu Kung Fu Fed School

The one I went to years back was the one on I-10 @ Blalock. This was at least 4 years ago, so things could have changed by now.

SXH's School

Usually about 2-3 students do some training off to the side during Tai-Chi class on Tuesdays. It gives us a chance to go over our forms/weapons and ask sifu if we get stuck or somethng. The thing I like the most about SXH is that he is very laid back and runs a good school. He is right about the Long Fist class to where you do need a foundation before doing that. I have been there almost four years now and to this day dont even touch the long fist/wushu class.

We tried running a morning class/early afternoon class but the turn out wasn't so good and it was canceled. If you haven't been by the school stop on by and check it out. SXH encourages new students to try out a free class before joining so try it!!

Comment

Wushu Kung Fu Fed School

The one I went to years back was the one on I-10 @ Blalock. This was at least 4 years ago, so things could have changed by now.

SXH's School

Usually about 2-3 students do some training off to the side during Tai-Chi class on Tuesdays. It gives us a chance to go over our forms/weapons and ask sifu if we get stuck or somethng. The thing I like the most about SXH is that he is very laid back and runs a good school. He is right about the Long Fist class to where you do need a foundation before doing that. I have been there almost four years now and to this day dont even touch the long fist/wushu class.

We tried running a morning class/early afternoon class but the turn out wasn't so good and it was canceled. If you haven't been by the school stop on by and check it out. SXH encourages new students to try out a free class before joining so try it!!
                      lol thats cool... so do you not touch the long fist class because he doesn't let you take it yet or cause you don't feel ready? And like how difficult is it to be able to take that class?

Also you mentioned you chose his school because you were more interested in offensive/defensive stuff... does he ever do a sanda/fighting class with sparring or anything?

And yeah a morning/early class probably would not have been good for me anyway. Like either those 6:30 or 8:00 ones are perfect... it's just there isn't a way I can make the 5:00 ones when thats when I leave work. I'd really like to be able to go atleast four days a week I think and I doubt I can normally make it both Saturday and Sunday which leaves me with just three unless I go to the Tai Chi class and do side training or whatever which seems like an ok option though.

Comment

You guys should check out Jeff Bolt's schools.....

Student of Yang Jwing Ming's
                        practice wu de

Comment

Originally posted by Nards
                          lol thats cool... so do you not touch the long fist class because he doesn't let you take it yet or cause you don't feel ready? And like how difficult is it to be able to take that class?

Also you mentioned you chose his school because you were more interested in offensive/defensive stuff... does he ever do a sanda/fighting class with sparring or anything?

And yeah a morning/early class probably would not have been good for me anyway. Like either those 6:30 or 8:00 ones are perfect... it's just there isn't a way I can make the 5:00 ones when thats when I leave work. I'd really like to be able to go atleast four days a week I think and I doubt I can normally make it both Saturday and Sunday which leaves me with just three unless I go to the Tai Chi class and do side training or whatever which seems like an ok option though.
                          Well, I find "wushu" difficult for me because I don't have the "ups" in jumping, butterfly kicks, and aerial drills wushu has...plus I am 31 so I am just no that limber..lol. I prefer not to learn it. I mainly train in the traditional shaolin kung fu that SXH teaches and he mainly gears the long fist class for the younger students. The traditional kung fu class is mainly 18 basic postures, conditioning drills, forms/weapons and he teaches Chin na. It just depends what we have been doing for the week so he likes to change what we do in class from time to time so it doesnt get stale. SXH does not have a active san da class....He has barely enough time to even out the kung fu, long fist, tai chi and lion dance class (our school has a lion dance team in training).

Three days a week isnt bad at all if you can make it, but I do understand you would like to go more days. The class times were set up basically on attendance but I think SXH is going to try and get a few more late classes going (not sure though).

Comment

Originally posted by shaolinstylee
                            You guys should check out Jeff Bolt's schools.....

Student of Yang Jwing Ming's

Jeff Bolt is a good guy and runs good classes. He's very nice and down to earth. I just don't know where he ended up after he moved.

Comment

Well, I find "wushu" difficult for me because I don't have the "ups" in jumping, butterfly kicks, and aerial drills wushu has...plus I am 31 so I am just no that limber..lol. I prefer not to learn it. I mainly train in the traditional shaolin kung fu that SXH teaches and he mainly gears the long fist class for the younger students. The traditional kung fu class is mainly 18 basic postures, conditioning drills, forms/weapons and he teaches Chin na. It just depends what we have been doing for the week so he likes to change what we do in class from time to time so it doesnt get stale. SXH does not have a active san da class....He has barely enough time to even out the kung fu, long fist, tai chi and lion dance class (our school has a lion dance team in training).

Three days a week isnt bad at all if you can make it, but I do understand you would like to go more days. The class times were set up basically on attendance but I think SXH is going to try and get a few more late classes going (not sure though).
                              That's quite funny!.. Isn't XH now the main light skilled old school shaolin monk in just about the entire universe???? ....

btw :- I think XH was at the temple a lil pre-sanda but you're right .... has anyone hit him up for some chi sao drilling?? ...

Comment

Jeff Bolts school is here.

life is a cumquat (Maxwell Smart)

Comment

Working...
                                X