Shi Su Xi is dead.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shi Su Xi is dead.

Famed grandmaster Shi Su Xi is dead at the age of 80, after suffering from severe debilitating Parkinson's disease for many years. He passed away at 1100 hours on March 8th.

Su Xi was the last of his breed, having lived through the tumultous changes of Shaolin over the past half century. He leaves behind many devoted disciples, mainly of the "De" generation, who view him as one of the truly real legacies of Shaolin.

His funeral will take place on March 14th. He will surely be missed by many.
    Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

"You're just a jaded cynical mother****er...." Jeffpeg

(more comments in my User Profile)
    russbo.com

so u going to the funeral? isnt he your si gung? if so u should do a piece on it, "shaolin monk" funerals or whatever

sad to say but this guy probably was pretty damn good if de cheng was his student(was he?) his funeral and his death probably wont even come close to being as important or widely known as chan tai san..which is a shame..not to downplay cts....
    "did you ask me to consider dick with you??" blooming tianshi lotus

Comment

I can't go; I couldn't possibly get a visa in time. I'm on this "side of the world", and it would only take me a day or so to get there, but, the visa would take a few days.

Decheng was kind of his student; Decheng's master was Su Yuan, whom I had met before his death, back in 97 when he and Decheng were both living together in the temple proper. Su Yuan and Su Xi were contemporaries; both were part of the 14 who returned to Shaolin after the catastrophe of the Cultural Revolution. Suxi was Deyang's main master; Xinghong also claims him as one of his masters. It is claimed that Suxi had somewhere around 30000 disciples. Not sure how they came up with that number, but, that's how the story goes.

Suxi's master was Zhengxu, the 29th abbot of Shaolin. (I've described this lineage before). Zhengxu, if I remember correctly, was also Su Yuan's master. Suxi was born in 1924, and was named Jinzhu Geng. He entered the temple when he was 13.

Of interest, this is the first time in over 200 hundred years, that the temple has built a death pagoda for a living monk. The huge pagoda was built for him a few years ago. I have photos of it in the Photo Library.
      Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

russbo.com

Comment

WoW! This is sad news! I was really looking forward to going and meeting him this summer with De Ru.........................30000 disciples!?............I just can't believe it.....................................
        "What is barely legal?" - Ali G

Comment

Sounds like he was suffering until his final days. Atleast it isn't the case anymore. His legacy will live on...God speed, monk.
          Becoming what I've dreamed about.

Comment

in jet lis shaolin doc, de yang is like the tom cruise of the film, and i remember su xi was in it once, he was chanting mantras or something and they pointed the camera at him for like maybe less then 3 seconds and were like, "this is monk su xi" then you never see him again.

i think he looked alot like a little buddha statue, like the laughing buddha should look like in person or something, happy amidst a world of crazy bullshit

Comment

Shame.. hope he was able to pass on all his shaolin knowledge.

Comment

Whatever knowledge he passed on, he did it over twenty years ago. Remember, Deyang and Decheng must have been in their teens when Suxi was teaching.

The problem is, that it is not what Suxi has passed on. It is what these younger guys are passing on. And we've already discussed the current evolution of what is being taught at Shaolin now.

Suxi was the end of an era. The end of Shaolin as Shaolin once was.

Now, it is the time of capitalism. Business. Greed. Competition.

Yongxin finally has full control of his baby.

russbo.com

Comment

"Suxi was the end of an era. The end of Shaolin as Shaolin once was."

obviously your not talking about the temple. and of course i disagree, with only a handful of actually talented individuals at shaolin in comparison to a wide range of superior shaolin sifus spread throughout the world, i feel su xis passing is nothing more then another old man passing who deserves respect for his works, and thats that.

end of an era, maybe for the poor peeps who think monks actually care about transmitting skills, not for real shaolin practitioners.

Comment

I was referring to the life that was, at Shaolin temple proper. Suxi represented an older era, a tradition, a lifestyle, a purpose, that the temple once had, and, in my opinion, has no more.

russbo.com

Comment

OMfG!!.....

Rok me then!! That's reallly sad Doc. ...

So I don't know if it's appropriate to do here but since Suxi is myyy ggm and shaolin buddhist legend hero, how do you think he let go there??... He iis our zen master right...an we meditate to buddha "mind" and 'cause we're mahayanna find shit to continue when we shoulda died yrs ago right??.... imo, 2 die u gotta get some reasoning beyond that...like an ending or something... I'm sorry... question probably makes no sense .. woww.......

Comment

What did she just say?
                        I do not have a psychiatrist and I do not want one, for the simple reason that if he listened to me long enough, he might become disturbed.
                        "Life can keep providing the rain and I'll keep providing the parade."
                        "I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle."
                        "Whatever guy said that money don't buy you pleasure didn't know where to go shopping"

Comment

Stop being an asshole okay.. i said that the news rocked me. an I'll prolly meditate on it 4 a bit.

i pretty drunk last night during an after hearing the news an I s talking with this 50 yr older who also had some near death experiences an'd read some shit long the same lines we collectively decided after hrs of death an beyond chats that 2 let go was some kinda some concious decision a soul privately makes ....

I don't even care if u ässhat no nice thing to say bout much stevo"approve or don't. of what I say n feel an learn an experience .. I'm telling u I'm feeling it........ It's reeeal sad for us mahayanna okay... so stick it in your hat an do what u gotta..

BT.....

Comment

Warned: Inappropriate behavior

ps: if warriors could cry I would.. U suk n u got no clue.... what tf makes a GGzenmaster wanna say its okay ta die??...xcuse fuking me 4 being real a momemt of greif and reflection......... asshole...

PPs .stick your kind hearted christianity up your ass.
                            mwa.

BTL

Comment

I know what I'm saying the next time some one tries converting me!!

"stick your kind hearted christianity up your ass." It's so powerful, yet simple and to the point. I really like it.
                              ZhongwenMovies.com

Comment

Working...
                              X