The Political Impact of Shi Su Xi's death

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Political Impact of Shi Su Xi's death

I've made mention of this before, and I probably should make mention of it again. I've suspected this for a long time, years actually, one I saw the beginnings of the construction of Suxi's pagoda, long before his death. I've discussed this, somewhere in the forum, years ago.

It was shortly after Yongxin took over power in the temple, that the pagoda construction began. First time in over 200 years, that a pagoda would be constructed for a monk, before he died. And what an elegant, beautiful pagoda it was.

Being a jaded and cynical individual, I had suspected that this action on Yongxin's part at that time, was a maneuver to persuade his temple adversaries to sway over to his side. When YX took over, as some will remember, in "strange and mysterious ways", the "new sheriff in town" mentality took place, which resulted in the forced expulsion, and voluntary embarkment, of many of the older, more experienced martial monks. I would assume that YX thought that by getting rid of his nonsupporters, that it would be easier for him to assert control at the temple in his new position. This is a maneuver which is, if you look back in history at many other leaders, and even tyrants, of the past, that when a new leader moves in, the old leader's supporters move out.

For him, not a bad move. For the temple, gong fu, tradition, etc, well, that's a matter of discussion.

But one individual wasn't about to be moved out, even though, for a while, he actually did. Suxi represented to the world that knew him, the older, more gentler, traditional, non-economically oriented Shaolin that the world fell in love with. Many of the older masters that had "left" for various reasons, had always seen him as the true abbot, the true successor to the Zheng Xu's of Shaolin. But, it was not meant to be. Suxi, an honorable man, did not want any position of power; he just wanted to be a plain and simple monk. His humility was one reason why he was widely adored and loved.

But, in YX's eyes, one could potentially imagine that the presence of Suxi remained a threat to the true ascension to power of YX. If you wanted to be jaded and cynical about the whole thing, as I tend to be, if you can't get rid of your obstacle, you take it in and adulate it. It's one way of getting the old leadership's followers to start stepping in your footsteps.

The pagoda. What a magnicent structure it is. Far surpasses anything that has ever been built in Shaolin previously. Most saw it as a great tribute to a great man.

I saw it as a political ploy, to ensure a grasp upon power.

Well, now Suxi has been delegated to the temple of the great ones, for all to revere and think positively about, for many years to come. And with his passing, goes the last true obstacle to Yongxin's final, complete, and total grasp of undeniable power.

I predict that Suxi's funeral procession, which should be tomorrow, will be an extravaganza non-pareil. And, in my jaded and cynical opinion, I see it as so, for two reasons.

One, it is politically expedient for Yongxin to do so, in light of who Suxi is, and in light of how all the temple people view Suxi. Yongxin's previous potential problem, even with all of the new people that Yongxin brought in, as he brushed out the old dirt to bring in the new, more dependable ones, is that Yongxin's new picks saw Suxi as a true, venerated master, something that Yongxin ascribes to be. Sending Suxi off in a grand and masterful way, only makes Yongxin look better.

And, to be really jaded and cynical, which is what you all expect from me after all of these years, is the following. Suxi's funeral and pagoda have set a precedent.

If you can have one hell of a ceremony, and pagoda, for one who was a "simple monk", imagine what will be built one day for an abbot.....
    Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

"You're just a jaded cynical mother****er...." Jeffpeg

(more comments in my User Profile)
    russbo.com

I understand what you're saying okay. I also understand why and how the Doc's and Arhats hold the positions theey do....
    I just think u underestimate ppl..
    Some of us haave actually read some stuff an we have minds that function tootally independant of aany collective dogma and what-have-u.. Course we know the difference and just beecause theres an Abott an he has saffron robes án saays he represents ''shaolin"', dont mean we're buying aany of his personal BS. Were just here for the shaolin an it's gongfu an everything else that means to us, so if when we spend those minutes reflecting we decide he's not carrying it, then it lives on anyway as just what it is...
    we're not idiots Richard...

cheers

Comment

Originally posted by blooming tianshi lotus
      I just think u underestimate ppl..
      My "problem" is, I don't.
      Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

"You're just a jaded cynical mother****er...." Jeffpeg

(more comments in my User Profile)
      russbo.com

Comment

"we're not idiots Richard..."
        who are you representing with that "we"?

I understand what you are trying to say...i think...Shaolin will stll be shaolin no matter who leads, kind of sort of right? I can't completely agree with that. The western world doesn't have anything similar to the jewel that Shaolin, and all it was and is, has. Only people of the same caliber as Shi SuXi, who truely represents what Shaolin should be, hold the truths of Shaolin. If people like him continue being sent away, or with time die, the truths of Shaolin begin to fade into folklore and half-truths. I feel that a lot of the knowledge of traditional gong fu has already been lost with this "power shift". I blame America for spreading and propagating the pleasures of a "democratic" capitalist society. It's already happening... the Shaolin strip mall Dojos are here. Question is, how do we preserve the unknown knowledge and truths that Shaolin has tucked deep within?
        "What is barely legal?" - Ali G

Comment

The western world doesn't have anything similar to the jewel that Shaolin, and all it was and is, has.
          What about the Vatican? Stonehenge? CBGB?

Comment

yah.. but shaoin is a living monument .. just sliightly different .

The thing wiiith those others around of shaolin who do function similarly to Suxi ( and DeYang is one of those), is that most often they're the ones u reeally don't hear alot about. They're definately still around though ...just a little more discreet about it and do most of what they do quietly an out of the spotlight.
            No doouubt alot of the others iin the strip malls and running around throwing mollies at each other and ripping off their good mates with the schools who bring them over and take them on don't deserve the robes at all and portray a different picture ( no doubt satisfactory to the PRC goons ) but they haave them and there's nothing that can b done it. .. Doesn't mean the other guys cease to exist though...
            Peerrsonally ... I think it's a hybernation for them. just like what happened at shaolin village ... both Suxi aand YX 've said that shaolin village will rise again ... and now it sleeps and recouperates ...

Comment

CBGB & OMFUG, New York rock club, self-professed "Home of Underground Rock & Roll". And once upon a time, it actually was.

Actually, I think they recently went out of business.

Comment

Working...
              X