Is it wrong to add forms..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is it wrong to add forms..

Is it wrong to add forms to your stlye. I know a teacher that goes to other styles, buys a video, learns the form, goes back to the pearson he bought the video from to correct details of the form. And adds it to he's style. Is that ok?

What?

Yeah sure. But a mantis form does not equal a tiger style. You can add it to your repertoire, but you can't really say it's all the same.
    Becoming what I've dreamed about.

Comment

Imagine I practice Hung Gar, is it wrong to add to my hung gar style a mantis form?

Comment

What? You mean...like splice the two? No, I don't think that's a good idea. Practice them both seperately, don't confuse yourself trying to come up with a hybrid.

But if you're asking if it's okay to learn different forms from different styles, why not?

Comment

lung pao, is it wrong to add forms to your style? the answer is no it isnt wrong. but if your going to add forms to your style, u better be as good as you think u are to learn a form and add it to the curriculum.

as for your question about hung ga, whatever kind of example that is lei yun fats answer is absolutely wrong considering hung ga does infact contain Bung Bo which is the crushing step the first and most important form supposedly made by wang lang

alot of systems incorporate different forms to their systems. hung ga is no different, hung ga actually contains much that most systems do not like drunken boxing, the praying mantis mentioned before, monkey style etc etc

so, in short no its not wrong because most systems grow in such a way, but like i said, the people usually adding the "new" material do it for whatever reasons they see fit not neccesarily because the system is lacking, these people are also capable of mastering the techniques within a short period of time which allows them to tweak them and master the techniques relatively quickly, if u dont have this level of understanding of your body i wouldnt suggest going about learning new forms and passing them on
          "did you ask me to consider dick with you??" blooming tianshi lotus

Comment

The example I used was to highlight the difference between the energies or whatever. What I was referring to was not learning multiple forms that was wrong, it was mixing them...like, coreographing your own thing without understanding what you're making.

Comment

well, makeing forms is ridiculous. it is something u can do..but i mean, theres often better forms with much more depth and inherent skills that are already around, so making forms is almost pointless if u know the arts...

its not about the energies perse..more the fact that each system is seperate for a reason, for instance like ive often tried to drill into mortals moronic head, every energie he uses i can duplicate easily(probably better to) because each and every energie found in wing chun has been in hung ga longer and from what ive read in different areas was based somewhat on hung styles bridgeing hands from southern siu lam.

anyway the point is the philosophys are what really seperate us as gung fu brothers and history..some of these styles were historically just hated enemies for good reason since alot of southern siu lam was made for anti qings. but when u talking about philosophy and styles its probably the single most important difference, because besides the manipulation of energy which each system has its own unique subtle differences, they are really not that difficult to learn and get good at its just like anything, espcially with fighters no one is ever satisfied with their power or skill so even though it may not be that difficult to transition to another style and its skills mastering other styles is always something that will take up your time

Comment

Hell, I'd learn the thing just for fun. Thats how it starts anyway...

Comment

Originally posted by dogchow108
                  Hell, I'd learn the thing just for fun. Thats how it starts anyway...

Comment

Learning from a video, and then adding it to your teaching curriculum?

Prostitutes, girlfriends, and other similar beings can learn their "skills" from videos, but, martial artists?

You've got to be kidding.

There are too many intricate "understandings" behind many of the moves in these forms that just cannot be well taught via video. You can do the move, but learning what it means ends up being a different story.
                    Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

"You're just a jaded cynical mother****er...." Jeffpeg

(more comments in my User Profile)
                    russbo.com

Comment

well, i wasnt talking about learning it from a video..i was talking about learning a form ingeneral from another system or something and adding it to the system

but, i do disagree with you doc. because, even though you may feel there are things that are to "intricate" about moves and their applications, i have yet to see a form anymore to not instantly realise the meaning, the application, the strengths and weaknesses.

like my first sifu said, once you understand yourself, and master control over your body understanding of the arts will hit you like a flood. before, i used to see things differently, when someone would demo a form, mantis whatever, i would see things literally differently.

now all i see are similaritys

think about that.

Comment

"i have yet to see a form anymore to not instantly realise the meaning, the application, the strengths and weaknesses." - maestro

I am awestruck at your preceptual abilities...
                        OK i realize you are probably stretching the truth but i can sort of understand what you mean maestro...but seriously if you truely understand them once you see them then you must be grandmaster sifu sensei.

I agree with doc...

You are nothing more than a monkey mimicking movements of another monkey by watching the videos and "learning" them. It takes a few steps in the evolutionary process to begin to understand what you are doing.

Practice a form 1000 times and you'll have memorized the movements but without the proper insight and teaching you are just a silly monkey (seriously watch the whole thing...you enjoy it)
                        "What is barely legal?" - Ali G

Comment

and if you watch it enough times and or do it enough times, you may just pick up a few insights that'll help you out anyway.
                          May not do alot for your 'form' performance .. but .. your gongfu performance could be entirely different. Just the fact your moving ... and in different ways..

Comment

of course youd agree with doc, u dont know anything. im not saying you can watch a video and all of a sudden be the master. but of course that is what you got out of it.

if u dont even understand what im talking about its pointless continueing, and u obviously dont have a clue.

Comment

I wasnt trying to dig into you...maybe just little bit...but I understand what you are saying when you say you see a form and can see the apps and so forth right away...but thats from your point of view as a hung ga practioner...I might see it a different way...(I just watched Tom yum goong and if you watch the "form" he does in the beginning and when he's fighting at the end he using all the apps from the form...i thought that was kind of cool...but i saw that and understood what he was doing and i dont even practice muay thai or whatever he was doing in that movie)...but back to the whole idea of learning forms from videos...yeah its fun but you cant really get anything of substance from doing so...yeah you can look at a form and see the apps and perhaps the energy but when you have a knowledgable teacher explaining the details to you the picture becomes much clearer...

I also agree with you maestro here
                              "is it wrong to add forms to your style? the answer is no it isnt wrong. but if your going to add forms to your style, u better be as good as you think u are to learn a form and add it to the curriculum."

however some of us know this doesnt always happen...some karotty or tae kwon do whitey tries to expand his curriculum by adding "Kung-fu" or "Ninjitsu" by going off and buying some videos and "learning" from them. While its great he tries to learn something new it just wrong that he's tring to pass it off as authentic or like he learned it directly from so and so teacher.
                              "What is barely legal?" - Ali G

Comment

Working...
                              X