No announcement yet.

Is it wrong to add forms..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"but I understand what you are saying when you say you see a form and can see the apps and so forth right away...but thats from your point of view as a hung ga practioner"

u dont understand what i mean, and it has nothing to do with my pov as a hung ga practitioner.

u need to really just be quiet and try and read what i say because all you people do is seem to agree with either half of what i say and disagree with whatever u feel is inappropriate when im makeing the same point the whole time, theres no 2 ways about what i say, so when u say such things to me its obvious you people really DONT understand what im talking about

Shop from the world's largest selection and best deals for traditional weapons. Shop with confidence at Wing Lam Enterprises store! High quality weapons, apparel, training materials, and more.

read my sifus article, he says it better then i can.
    "did you ask me to consider dick with you??" blooming tianshi lotus

Comment

ok thanks for the article but are you sure thats the right one? I sort of understood what the article was talking about. It read like one of your posts. I could tell he was trying to say something but it didnt quite come out. But the article does highlight (there is another word i want to use there but i cant think of it) the importance of having a teacher present to help you as you grow as a martial artist. Sorry i'll read it again but i think i missed the part where it explains how you can understand everything about a form by just seeing it once.
      "What is barely legal?" - Ali G

Comment

"Sorry i'll read it again but i think i missed the part where it explains how you can understand everything about a form by just seeing it once."

ok, im sorry to, but when did i say i can understand everything about a form by seeing it once?

are u reffering to when i said;

"i have yet to see a form anymore to not instantly realise the meaning, the application, the strengths and weaknesses."

if so, this is not the same as what you are reffering to. for example ill pick that sentence apart for you.

like most styles of martial arts that teach patterns, often times, a form will have its own flavor and meaning, which means it is made to teach you a certain way of moving or attacking/defending or whatever. discerning applications is for the most part easy if youve mastered control over your body and yourself, which is what my sifu was trying to convey in that article. as for discerning the strengths and weaknesses of a form that is also quite easy, considering as martial artists this is a crucial factor to winning a fight against an opponent who is for the most part unknown to us, unless we are professional fighters and are aware of our enemys strengths and weaknesses.

like my sifu says "Still don't see the significance of this? It means that when you have mastery over yourself, ( and that is to sifu very basic) it doesn't matter what style you do. You will always do it right. Only when you understand this, do you begin to look at things the way the masters do."

this is the sole reason for the saying "in a room full of masters, all agree".

it is probably also the reason why wing lam keeps such good company amongst martial artists like chen xiao wang, leung ting etc once u get to a certain level there is nothing to discuss or debate other then actually get down and touch hands.

anyway, as for "seeing a form once and knowing everything about it" i dont think that is possible, but my sifu did also say, that you should be able to watch a form once and duplicate it, and not only that but with speed power bla bla

this infact is an ability sifus sigung 96 yr old hung ga master lam cho was born with and was capable of since being a child. some people are fortunate in that sense, but regardless. after mastering control over they body or "taming the tiger" as would be said in shaolin, you shouldnt have trouble with any style or system, you should be able to duplicate any technique

i also infact have a interview with rza and shi yan ming where rza is sitting next to yan ming and quotes him as saying "if u master yourself you can master any style"

so u know take yan mings words for what they are..hes just reiterating what ALL real masters say ANYWAY.

Comment

[QUOTE=Maestro]

Ok sorry I got it twisted...
          Thanks for clearing it up. I can absolutely agree with that.

So back to talking about making up forms and adding forms...

I am recently learning a Tiger kicking "drill"...I dont know for sure but i guess tiger style doesnt have a lot of kicks...Also tiger style is a very strong style...in terms of force...anyway this form was created by tiger stylists to compensate for their lack of flexibility (well compared to northern styles like long fist...) as well as their lack of kick variety...The form contains bits of mizhong, di tong, long fist, crane, and some others. Its pretty interesting and absolutely ridiculous....seriously 540 double crescent kicks....but the form is designed to loosen up the stiffness in areas where tiger stylists were stiff or inflexible (legs, back, torso...) so there are apps here and there but the form seems more for flexibility and being less forceful and more graceful.

So adding forms does occur but as maestro said "if your going to add forms to your style, u better be as good as you think u are to learn *(or create one)* a form and add it to the curriculum."
          "What is barely legal?" - Ali G

Comment

u could say pure tiger style doesnt have alot of kicks or..any kicks at all. i mean, theres the tiger tail kick but i dunno if thats actually classified as tiger style. i do know that my style is famous for being the "tiger and crane" style probably because of fu hok seung ying kuen but regardless when i started training with my sifu right off the bat i learned innner and outer crescent. front snap, tornado kick(one of my favorites just cause its fun) and sweeps.

Comment

that's why forms are forms and fighting is fighting.
              "Arhat, I am your father..."
              -the Dark Lord Cod

Comment

thats right arhat. forms are forms and fighting is fighting. but my sifu and all real masters dont say when u master yourself u can master all forms. thats not what is being said. if u master control over yourself you can master ANY style, not only is this a huge advantage in combat but it is also a advantage to you as a martial artist, espcially if u wish to broaden your horizons and knowledge of chinese arts or most any art ingeneral..ill say save vs grappling which has little to do with chinese arts save maybe some qin na or shui chiao.

Comment

Originally posted by arhat
                  that's why forms are forms and fighting is fighting.
                  isnt it amazing how hard that is for people to get?

Comment

Is it wrong to make up your own form and add it to your style?

Comment

You can make up your own forms, but you ought not to go around saying it's part of your style. Especially if you're not a master or whatever. Misrepresentation, you see. It's almost like copyright infringement.
                      Becoming what I've dreamed about.

Comment

Working...
                      X