Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What would one learn in a going to china to train in a monestary?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What would one learn in a going to china to train in a monestary?

What would learn? Someone mentioned before there are tours of monestaries. I'm kind of interested in the more subtle aspects of the art.
    http://www.blogger.com/profile/16155538

What would you learn.... What are you looking for?

I've been to a lot of monasteries in China and Tibet. I've learned a few things.

For one, Shaolin Temple is currently not much of a monastery.
    The real monasterys that you find in other parts of China, well, are not as much monasterys as they are, well, buildings that have temples. If you want to see real monasterys in "China", you really need to go to Tibet. Or, western China, such as Yunnan.

Now those are places that must be seen to be believed. If you really want to see monasterys, as monasterys are depicted to be, you need to go to Yunnan or Tibet. I have pictures of these places in the Photo Library.

In Yunnan, there is a large monastery in Zhongdian, and a smaller on in Da Li (on an island in the middle of a huge lake). In Tibet, well, Sera Drepung. and Jokhung, two incredible places to experience.

I've found them to be very worthwhile places to see and spend time at. What I've learned, well, not gong fu, that's for sure. I guess the best thing I can say, is that I've learned a lot about religion, and beliefs, and people.

Look at the pictures. They tell a great story. Especially the ones from Tibet.
    Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

"You're just a jaded cynical mother****er...." Jeffpeg

(more comments in my User Profile)
    russbo.com

Comment

I guess I'm looking for more indepth martial arts training. To try and train alot by yourself gets lonely. I have the feeling I should come to thailand to train with you guys first though. If I train 3 hours everyday, then I would learn alot. That would put me in better shape to train longer.

Right now I'm hoping to eventually move up to supervisor where I'm at, and then maybe manager. Don't know if it will happen, but hey a guy can dream can't he. I know of other people who have gotten better jobs at other places.
      Last edited by agreenknight; 06-17-2006, 02:21 PM.

Comment

Well, if you want a good in depth period of martial arts training, going to Dengfeng in China would not be a bad idea. But don't expect to be in a "monastery" type surrounding. Right now, it all kind of reminds me more of Epcot in Disneyworld than anything else.

The monasteries (spelling?) that I've visited, were the real thing. With real monks. That did real monk like monk things. But I've only really found these in western China and Tibet (and Thailand); the Buddhism that you find in central China is relatively "weak" to non-existant.

You're more than welcome to come to Thailand and train with us. We'll take good care of you.
        Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

russbo.com

Comment

I am going to learn all I can where I'm at. I hope to get my blackbelt in okinaween kubato in the next year or two. From there we'll see. There is a different guy teaching most of the classes now. So.... we'll see.

I was hoping to start a school now that I had a blackbelt. But that doesn't seem like it's going to happen. One thing is they want me to put alot of money down to buy the territory. With that you get the support of the organization. For example, having the Villari name, has gotten my teacher students. Also a master from out east flies out to do the black belt tests. He has done seminars also and teaches my teacher along with another school owner. Also, then someone else isn't going to start another villari's school in the same area.

It's not the school owners, that I have problems with. But the studio is a business. Been teaching a class for atleast a year now. Might be teaching another kids class soon.

Yet the grass is always greener on the other side. So I'm going to go as far as I can go where I'm at. I know martial arts is what I want to do.

Comment

There's a story about the Villari name. I won't get into it.

Well, this is the way of the martial arts in the US. All I can say, is, well, go to college and keep the martial arts as a hobby, not a career.

Nuff said.

russbo.com

Comment

Been there done that doc.

Comment

putuoshan, an island off the coast of ningbo and shanghai, is also a very interesting place replete with all the traditional monastery dressings. if i remember correctly, monks make up over 70% of the residents of the island. the place is essentially a mountain with groupings of many temples. residents awake at around 2:30am in order to be at temple between 3 and 5 for their morning service. you can definitely learn a lot from them, especially in the winter!!! and as it's considered one of the four sacred buddhist mountains, protected by a huge, beautiful statue of guanyin, buddhists are generally encouraged to make a pilgrimage to putuoshan at a point during their lives. great place.

I've also been to dali, and as doc mentions, it's definitely a worthwhile experience. check out some of his dali pics on the site. dali rests in one of the most idylic places i've seen.....
                -----------
                anyhow, I arrived in shanghai a couple days ago. i've been here twice before, but as the population has surpassed 20 mill in recent years and is also China's most polulated city, it's truly a sight to behold.. people are like "the sea and the mountains" living in a land of giant highrises, skyscrapers...... actually, I was thinking about making my way back to putuoshan for a few days before traveling to hangzhou, but haven't figured out if i'm in the mood yet. I have a few free days. might stay in shanghai or venture somewhere else. guess i still haven't decided...

doc, anything in the zhejian area that you've been to and would suggest? i'm up for suggestions.
                ZhongwenMovies.com

Comment

Originally posted by agreenknight
                  Been there done that doc.
                  Do it again. And do it well.

I've been around far too many of these "McDojo" martial arts teachers to know that few, if any, develop long lasting successful careers. The ones that make the money are the ones on top of the pyramid; the guys that teach the schools are fodder for the company to go through. Trust me, you would be better off developing a real career, one that promoted your interests and not somebody at the top of the food chain pretending to be god and giving out belts.

And, you'll find that your love of the martial arts would develop further, if you keep it as a hobby instead of a pseudo career.

russbo.com

Comment

G, how far are you from Huangshan, in Anhui? It's east of Shanghai, shouldn't be more than a few hours away. If you the time, get over there and spend a night on the mountain. Since it's July, it might be hard finding rooms up on top, but, you can take the telphers (cable cars), and not walk up the entire damn thing like I did. It's one of the most amazing places I've ever been to.

Wish I could go back.

russbo.com

Comment

If I go back, I want to have the support of an organization behind me. The place that I work, if they want you to be a manager they will pay for you to go to school. If I have a position of a supervisor, people may take what I say more seriousily, rather than thinking "oh he's doesn't know what I'm talking about."

Comment

Not sure I understand. Why would you need the support of an organization behind you to go to college? And if they're going to pay you to go to school, don't you think that they'll want something in return? The problem with situations like that, is sometimes you get yourself into a Faustian dilemma. The people that are "supporting" you, do so because they plan on getting far more back from you than what they give you.

russbo.com

Comment

doc, huangshan is a good idea.... but people tell me it's between four and six hours away. I know -- here that's nothing! It's just I've been feeling pretty out of it with all this heat and time adjustment. Perhaps I'll get there in mid august when this summer session thing ends. That would probably be a cool trip from hangzhou to huangshan, and then from huangshan back to shanghai. thanks for the suggestion.
                          ZhongwenMovies.com

Comment

Yet what would one learn by going there? Would they learn more about internal energy?

Comment

Well, seeing as Shaolin "monastery" is moving towards its future as a movie production studio (as was first discussed here back in February), you might want to think twice about learning "internal energy" there.

russbo.com

Comment

Working...
                              X