Clear All

From my contacts:

Tuition fee: one month-----1000US dollars
    one week ----400US dollars
    living fee : single room-----150US dollars a month
    TV room----375US dollars a month
    coach Chen ziqiang: 13939125557
    route: 1: take train to Zhengzhou from Beijing
    2: take bus to Wen Xian from Zhengzhou (by the Zhengzhou train station)
    3: School will pick you up at Wenxian bus station( contact school first
    Will double check the room prices. Seems a bit off.
    Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

"You're just a jaded cynical mother****er...." Jeffpeg

(more comments in my User Profile)
    russbo.com

Comment

Oh, the price for the single room is 15 dollars a month, not 150. I questioned that, and, it was confirmed. It has no bathroom or television. Just a simple basic room in the countryside. Take that for what you will.
      Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

russbo.com

Comment

hey doc

what school is are these prices for?

and is it really $1000 a month?

is there a toilet and shower nearby?

Comment

Those are the prices. As for toilets, I don't know. No doubt you'll find some sort of latrine nearby; western toilets in the boonies are not too common. And this place sounds like the boonies. Ad for "hot" showers, as it was not until just recently, last two years, that Decheng's school got a "hot" shower, again, I wouldn't have high expectations. Considering that "washing" in these schools, for the domestic Chinese, consists of squating near a wash basin full of cold water.

russbo.com

Comment

My experience training Taiji with Shi Decheng.

Last year in March i set off for Shi Decheng's school for a month to learn TaiJi.
            When you train taiji at his school you train with him, all day, every day training with the master just you and him! No pressure!
            He is not noted for being a great Taiji master but he is a great Shaolin master, (Selected to represent China next week in the second World Traditional Kungfu Festival. Which is a competion).
            Since then i have been trainning on my own seeing him about once every three months when he comes to Europe. It is only recently that i have started to go to other couses and Taiji events that i am starting to realise that i am, to put it bluntly, really quite good for someone who has little more than a years experience. I have to say that i put most of this down to having learnt with Shi Decheng.
            He showed me both the essence and the fractal like detail of the art. As long as you keep tying he keeps teaching, the further you go he stays out ahead.
            I have worked with other Taiji experts since but never found one who is as willing to commit himself to his students commitment as Shi Decheng. I pick up new forms quicker than most others now because i understand what it is i'm looking for in a movement.
            So to cut a long story short, yes Chen village is the place to go for Chen Taiji, but if you don't get a recomendation for a school there i can througherly reccomend Shi Decheng. And you can do some Kungfu too.
            Clean basic accomodation for the school is on the horizon, but it is still a distant speck. The accomadation in the school now is ...very basic. Hot water is hit and mostly miss. It's not to bad in the summer but untill mid March it can still be really cold. I would recomend a hotel for the cold months and maybe the school when the weather warms up. You should negociate for a price, which you can do by email, or fax, or even after you get there and feel your way around a bit. Ask if there is a cheaper hotel than the one he usually uses. It is also cheaper if you negociate direct with the hotel, and eat out, but you may not feel up to that right away.
            There is an internet cafe at the end of the road which is realy cheap. Learning Mandarin ... you have to find someone who speaks it properly first! i have a friend who teaches English in Dengfeng she may have the time to give you some lessons, she is suppossed to teach ShiDecheng proper English, when he has a free moment.
            The school really takes care of you untill you find your feet. If you have any other questions fire away. I will be there again probably next March.

Comment

Originally posted by sarah
              i have a friend who teaches English in Dengfeng she may have the time to give you some lessons, she is suppossed to teach ShiDecheng proper English, when he has a free moment.
              I've been teaching Decheng Engilsh, on and off, since 1995.

But, you probably don't want to hear some of the things he's learned from me....

russbo.com

Comment

Does anyone have any more ifo or experience with schools in Chen Village?

Comment

"English"

Doc i said "proper" English.

Comment

The feeling that I got when I discussed this with my Beijing contact, who had considered going to Chen village last year (I was going to go with him, but, I've been ill, and, I got really tied up in Thailand), was that this place is pretty spartan. It's a good word to describe a lot of these training places in Dengfeng (and China in general). I really think that people go there thinking that there are going to be major similarities with western facilities. There is a great deal of disappointment at times when people finally arrive.

Spartan: practicing great self-denial; "Be systematically ascetic...do...something for no other reason than that you would rather not do it"- William James; "a desert nomad's austere life"; "a spartan diet"; "a spartan existence" [syn: ascetic, ascetical, austere]
                    OH, and the last time I looked, "bullshit" is a word that has been considered "proper" English.

You have to hear Decheng say it. Doesn't really have a god damn clue as to what it means, but he pops it out at the most unexpected times, LOL.

I take full responsibility.

russbo.com

Comment

about the place in chen village is it the only place?
                      and were you refering to the facilities that are 'modest', or the training that it is not up to par?

Comment

hey joe

the more i research the more places i find! just got a reply from these guys this morning http://www.chenjiagou.net.cn/en4.asp they seem pretty jacked. these days i've taken to printing out pages form the sites i vist and passing them on to my coach to read. he and i discuss teh schools and costs etc. next week sometime he's gonna start mailing them in chinese for me so i can find out teh details i'm looking for. in the meanwhile try this http://www.chenjiagou.net.cn/en4.asp

There are only 10 types of people in this world.
                        Those that understand binary and those that don't.

Comment

I was not making a reference to the training. I'm sure that if you go, and tolerate the living and other conditions, it will be an experience non pareil. I have no doubt that the training would be good, provided you get a decent teacher. My only concern, would be the actual living conditions. They sound pretty spartan.

Didn't I use that word before? As I tell everyone that plans on traveling to Shaolin / China to train, be prepared for disappointment and a somewhat adverse environment.

russbo.com

Comment

i am living in chen jia gou now

i live with a family,and the uncle trains me,he is a good teacher and disciple of a famous chen family master

i pay around 70 dolars for tha acomodation food and training.....

may be i can help you,what are you looking for?......
                            son of the light

Comment

the prices are for 1 month.....
                              son of the light

Comment

hey yan

I wanted to know what the trainning there is like, how much qi gong you learn with the taiji and what the food and accomidations are like.
                                more specifically do they have a heated training area and heated rooms or electricity in the rooms to conect an electric heater to?
                                or a better question does it make sence to come in the winter?
                                a long shot but is there hot water for shower?

I would also like to know if any of the people who teach you speak english and if there are options there to learn mandarin.

Thanks

Comment

Working...
                                X