shaolin temple school uk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• shaolin temple school uk

Hi dose anyone know if this place is any good or what thay charge as the web site is a bit slow and hard to navigate

http://www.shaolintempleschool.org.u...mpleschool.htm

also is this run the the same shi yan ming as is a russbo forum favoritre topic ?

mad4dos

He went to the Shaolin temple at a very young age. He studied Shaolin kungfu from Shifu Shi Yongxin who is the Abbot of the Shaolin temple. He trained very hard with Shifu. Shifu Shi Yongxin taught him not only kungfu but also taught him about Buddhism.
    Can't be the same Yanming from NY. If it is meant to be, then this is truly comical.

I know nothing of this school.
    Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

"You're just a jaded cynical mother****er...." Jeffpeg

(more comments in my User Profile)
    russbo.com

Comment

Shi Yan Ming in Mexico too?
      http://www.kungfu.com.mx/
      I do not have a psychiatrist and I do not want one, for the simple reason that if he listened to me long enough, he might become disturbed.
      "Life can keep providing the rain and I'll keep providing the parade."
      "I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle."
      "Whatever guy said that money don't buy you pleasure didn't know where to go shopping"

Comment

Nah that mexico school is one of his branch schools... run by a disciple of his... been tehre they are nice folks... need to train harder though...
        The essential point in science it not a complicated mathematical formalism or a ritualized experimentation. Rather the heart of science is a kind of shrewd honesty the springs from really wanting to know what the hell is going on!

Comment

So this place is best avoided there are two more in my area
          when i first found it i had a feeling it was not quite right .
          mad4dos

Comment

Well, no, I didn't say that. I don't think that this is the Yanming of New York and other fame. This sounds like a different, younger guy, placed there by the abbot. Yongxin is opening these McTemples all over the world now.

Funny, Xinghong tried to do this many years ago. Should be interesting to see how Yongxin does with this.
            Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

russbo.com

Comment

I think they are all doing that now... Yan Ming has schoosl in austria, south africa, mexico, trinidad, and more planned in other countries... A few of them have half way decent setups and teachers... but others are so new its kinda insane...
              The essential point in science it not a complicated mathematical formalism or a ritualized experimentation. Rather the heart of science is a kind of shrewd honesty the springs from really wanting to know what the hell is going on!

Comment

It's comical.

The people that are out there on the forefront of Shaolin, teaching "Shaolin" to the world, have little experience with it, and the real masters lie quietly behind the scenes, just moving on and doing their own little individiual things.

Amazing how "history" gets written, isn't it?

russbo.com

Comment

WEll, I could say some good things about those running the school in mexico.. Been there they are good people....

Though it makes little sense to me to have anyone that wants to running a school.... When I was training there I contemplated opening a school one day... My physical abilities were already better than most of those that were running schools in yan mings name... but even I thought I was no where near ready to be called anyones master...

Is there even criteria for opening these joints or is it jsut whoever wnats to and has the money?

Comment

yes

Originally posted by Iron Cross
                    Is there even criteria for opening these joints or is it just whoever wants to and has the money?

Exactly that.
                    I do not have a psychiatrist and I do not want one, for the simple reason that if he listened to me long enough, he might become disturbed.
                    "Life can keep providing the rain and I'll keep providing the parade."
                    "I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle."
                    "Whatever guy said that money don't buy you pleasure didn't know where to go shopping"

Comment

Hi Doc and all, on the topic of "McTemples" there have been some developments, at least here in Europe.

The struggling YongXin franchise

The public seems to have somehow cast a doubt over the future of the YongXing endorsed temples, due to:
                      1 - the use of questionable local business partners, people that often were poor martial artists and knew little of Shaolin suddenly becoming "WuSeng" on the local press. There is the internet nowadays, people read things before joining, ...
                      2 - the monks sent over to help the local parters getting distracted with local life, or opening their own schools, or not being any good at actually teaching, especially to adult westerners (customer frustration and injury being immediate consequences)
                      3 - poor business practices

These 3 issues have led to the recent closure of the german temple (the biggest of all european YongXin venues), the closure two years ago of the austrian temple (whilst another one by YanMing disciples is doing great), the closure of one of two UK temples, the little growth of temples in Italy and Spain (far smaller than other non-related local Shaolin schools), and the absence elsewhere (for example France, the biggest martial arts nation in Europe).

The changing XingHong franchise

XingHong has understood that quality rather than quantity is the key to long-term quality AND quantity. He has consequently linked closely with De Yang (now president of XingHong's organization) and is becoming far more traditional in his teaching program and far more selective in the annexion of schools to his organization.

The ones already in the organization but with low standards are "stalled" and forced to rapidly progress (teachers have to attend regular seminars with Xing Hong and train hard when on their own) to remain in. The new ones are sternly assessed and only good quality experienced teachers are welcomed in without some "stand-by" training years.

This strategy seems to be paying off with steadily increasing quality and quantity of schools in this group.

The proliferation of questionables

With tourist travel to Shaolin only as difficult as a phone call or email to a tour operator, more and more generic MA teachers have spent a day there, taken the ritual couple of photos at the gate wearing a uniform, and returned to claim Shaolin training and open a Shaolin school, with a few DVD forms and little more.

This phenomenon is ever growing and whilst these schools never last it still casts a shadow and gives a bad name to the whole Shaolin sector.

Same poor reputation comes also from below-average modern wushu schools using Shaolin uniforms "because they are cool" ... and doing poor quality martial dancing in them.
                      Not good advertising for Shaolin MA.
                      Last edited by wall; 09-01-2006, 01:18 PM.

Comment

Unrelated question to Doc: how come the edit button was showing for the first 5min or so and then disappeared from my post? I've checked also old posts and they don't have it ... can editing be done for a short time only?
                        I need to change something

W
                        Last edited by wall; 09-01-2006, 01:55 PM.

Comment

Editing can only be done for about ten or twenty minutes after you post. I suggest to people that they type your long posts in Notepad first, then copy and paste, especially since people sometimes lose internet connections during upload.

Thanks for the info. I suspected as much.

russbo.com

Comment

hi doc
                            yes but my main reason for avoiding this one is it's bit expensive for a school that only uses rented space and the other one's have been open for a longer time

mad4dos

Comment

Well, consider this. I've mentioned this in the past, actually, a few years ago, when Yongxin ascended to power. Many, many people in the Dengfeng area, including established and real masters from the pre-Yongxin era, changed their names to a generation level below Yong, and made it clear that they were Yongxin's disciples. Think about it as paying respect to the new sheriff in town. Along with that, in some cases, came the regular "tribute". Now, with Yongxin exporting some of these guys to other country's, to open schools, no doubt these schools have to send money back to the main headquarters. Yongxin had asked other "monks" out there to do the same; most ignored his request as far as I know.

It's a similar business model to the one used by some famous, and large, American McDojo's.

russbo.com

Comment

Working...
                              X