Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Differences between Japanese and Chinese martial arts?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Differences between Japanese and Chinese martial arts?

Hi Doc,

my name is xxxxx. I live in Croatia (Europe) and practise Martial arts more than 24 years.

I look your web site and have to say that it's very very good and very very informative.

So, just keep on that line my man. Before I continue, I want to apologize for my not so perfect english....

I would like to practise Shaolin gong fu and even to go to Shaolin.
    But I have noticed some things...it seems to me that Chineese take less importance to detailes than Japanese do. I mean, there are strong rules inside karate katas regarding stances, moving, punches, finger positions etc. than in Shaolin kung fu. Why did I get such impression?
    You see, I bought the original boxing tree of traditional Shaolin Kung fu DVDs, explained and demonstrated by Shi DeYang in order to prepare myself for my coming to Shaolin.

It could be double edge, but I think that it will get me more advantage than disadvantage.

Thanks to my martial arts experience, these DVDs, your web site information, books etc. I started to study Shaolin basic skills and to practice Lohan Shi Ba Shou, elementary Chang Quan, Xiao Hong Quan, Da Hong Quan first, second and third part and Tong Bi Quan forms.
    Basically, the punch is a punch, the movement is a movement, the stance is a stance.

If anyone have solid and strong base, there is no problem for developing new techniques.

On the other side, as you say, they are hard to give any application inside the forms.

I'm not Superman Martial art practitioner, but I notice that De Yang's disciples (they stay at his back side during demonstration) make errors regarding tehniques. I don't know what their level of skill is, but it could be an evidance which aproves my opinion that I mention above. What do you think about that? Are they pay attention to detailes when they teach you a form or any kind of tehnique? Chineese people looks more flexibile than Japanees are...so, is it generally type of manner that they copied to Kung fu, too?

On the other side, I would like to contact Shi De Yang regarding his future trip toward Hungary and maybe to arrange his arriving to Croatia. Could you offer me his email or you should ask him for permission?

Thanks in advance. Best regards from Croatia.
    xxxxxx xxxxxx
    Interesting observation. Sloppiness in Chinese martial arts, rigidity and perfection in the Japanese ones.

It's been my observation that it has less to do with the lineage and style, and more to do with the teachers you train with. When I was with USSD, for many years, in their "pre Shaolin grandmaster" era, they taught mainly Japanese kenpo. Great stuff, with a small mix of Chinese style influence. Some instructors were fairly accurate and consistent in what they taught, some changed things on a fairly regular basis, one time, "because my girlfriend thinks this looks better". Forms had also changed based on alterations made by the higher ups in the organization. I got tired of learning their concept of "traditional" martial arts after a while, and ended up in Shaolin.

Decheng teaches the forms as he learned them from Su Yuan (and as Su Yuan learned them, etc, etc). He focuses on accuracy; things have to be as they were. I have yet to see him alter martial arts techniques, after training with him for ten years. Xinghong, on the other hand, always seemed to change things, mainly so that he could improve his speed through the forms. He had a much less "traditional" approach towards the Shaolin martial arts, but then again, he was of a younger generation, one more influenced by the competitive notion of wushu.

I've had other teachers, one, Eddy Schumacher, who I trained in Okinawan Seidokan for a bit. Again, tradition, accuracy, and perfection were focused on.

Not sure if it has to do with what country the martial art comes from, as much as who is teaching it.

As for Deyang, I'll try to get him a message, though, knowing him, I doubt that he'll be up for traveling outside his usual plans.
    Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

"You're just a jaded cynical mother****er...." Jeffpeg

(more comments in my User Profile)
    russbo.com

Working...
X