Shaolin Symposium

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shaolin Symposium

I was practicing my bowel exercises the other day and needed some reading material to pass the time. After a quick search I found an older Kung-fu/Qigong magazine.

It was one of the special Shaolin issues with YX looking very stoic on the cover. Inside among the many shaolin articles, by our friend Gene Ching and others, there was one article on the 2002 (?) Shaolin symposium. It was a symposium that was put together (by YX in hopes of a bid for UNSECO world heritage site status) to help preserve the history of Shaolin traditions and Gong-fu. The article was more or less of a summary of the happenings there. Interestingly, there was a book of disertations (and other fancy words for papers) on all of the shaolin history, traditions, and Gong-fu (60 papers to be more accurate). I'm curious if this book is all in chinese and if its available to the public. It supposed to contain info on "authentic" shaolin topics.

Also during the symposium there was also Demos of "monks" practicing original forms ("no wushu here." paraphrasing Xinglong). This throws me a bit because I thought YX was trying bring the modern wushu into Shaolin. What are YX motives? what is he planning? What would happen if Shaolin became a world heritage site? I'll look that one up...
    "What is barely legal?" - Ali G

oh here's the article if you want to read it
    Last edited by tetsumaru; 09-15-2006, 01:33 AM.

Comment

Excerpt from that edition of the magazine:

GC: With all of the commotion of this project, is the Shaolin Temple order growing?
      Abbot: There are about 200 monks and 20 nuns at Shaolin Temple now. We have expanded the temple by developing many of our small branch temples. But we have also ejected some wuseng (warrior monks) for misconduct. Wanheng is an example. Yinguo is another

who are WanHeng and Yinguo? what did they do to anger the almighty YX?

What are the 20 nuns doing there?

Comment

Working...
      X