Maestro in Thailand

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Maestro in Thailand

so the site has been pretty dull lately, sorry to see it this way...

ive been to busy lately to even get near a computer, but i talked to doc about this and he thought i should bring this topic of mine to the forums...

so yea...i want to go to thailand probably about the end of feb or early march of 07, my brother wants to go aswell but well see..ive already got over 3 thousand and im working my way there...

so i should get down to some questions..and i hope doc doesnt crush my dreams with some coupe shit or whatever..

so, atm i cant think of much to ask about besides;

visas for a years trip
    batheing
    and getting around ingeneral and getting along with the people

and food..how to come by good food, can i drink the water there? do i have to boil my own like in china etc

such things like that and i will come back with more as i remember some of the things ive had on my mind

so, yea...

anyone who wants to chime in go ahead, if anyone cares im going just to relax and mostly train very hard and get drunk as often as possible

maybe a few massages here and there
    "did you ask me to consider dick with you??" blooming tianshi lotus

Its a few years since I was there but apart from minor stuff like a coup I don't suppose much has changed..

I had a 3 month visa, think the easy way to renew was just to hop across the border and come back for another 3 months which seems to be the universal way to do such things but perhaps there's an 'official' way to do it also.

Food is great, even road side stalls that whip up a quick stir fry served on a paper plate are surprisingly good and I never once got sick. Fresh pineapple was great there, and coconut milk.. had lots of that.

Don't remember the water situation exactly but I usually only go for bottled mineral water anyway.

They do indeed have this western thing called 'bathing' and not just in the local river..

Getting around: in the city the tuk tuk is king and great fun.. kind of like a roller coaster ride only without the safety features or any guarantee of arriving in one piece. Between cities the trains are pretty good but internal flights are fairly cheap and don't usually crash (much).. safer than tuk tuks anyway.

The people are generally good, friendly enough. I never had any problems with language. If you need a doc there seems to be plenty of good, modern clinics around. Its quite a modern place in general, at least in the cities.

Just watch out for some of those dodgy clubs in the pat pong area.. I heard some stories..

Overall thailand is a great place and I would be there now if I could.

But stay away from drugs mkay.. you don't wanna get busted over there with anything (or anyone) even remotely connected with that otherwise your visa will be getting a very very long extension.

Comment

thanks firbolg, i really appreciate the imput!! espcially from someone whos been there.

drugs i have no worries man, ill bring my own bricks of yayo and the weed is constantly flowing in my system lolo

seriously though i dont do any drugs anymore, i dont even smoke so im all set on that shit

and ive always wanted to ride a tuk tuk

Comment

Riding in a tuk tuk is a far more superior thrill than any drug I know of. It's almost as good as driving with me.

Drugs are an absolute bozo no no in Asia. Travel with any sort of shit, get caught, and you've got some serious problems. Some woman from Australia was discovered with a rather large personal cache of marijuana in Singapore, as I remember, a few months ago. She got the death sentence. The Australian government stepped forth in her defense, to no avail.

In Thailand, you do not want to go to prison. Period. It's just not a nice place.
        Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

"You're just a jaded cynical mother****er...." Jeffpeg

(more comments in my User Profile)
        russbo.com

Comment

Originally posted by doc
          Riding in a tuk tuk is a far more superior thrill than any drug I know of. It's almost as good as driving with me.
          Being one of maybe very few people that has done both this year, I barely survived, the nightmares have gone away and Doc's truck has seatbelts.

This is a Tuk Tuk in picture...
          Attached Files
          Last edited by Steve; 10-19-2006, 10:04 PM.
          I do not have a psychiatrist and I do not want one, for the simple reason that if he listened to me long enough, he might become disturbed.
          "Life can keep providing the rain and I'll keep providing the parade."
          "I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle."
          "Whatever guy said that money don't buy you pleasure didn't know where to go shopping"

Comment

ok, so i have a few more questions about thailand

whats the deal with these visas, can i get one when i arrive, or what? when i went to hong kong i just went and got a 90 day visa when i got there

and how about speaking english, do they speak it there is it easy to get around?

how do you get around do you take buses or trains or something? how expensive are such things?

and what about going to other countries like cambodia or malaysia how far away are they?

because doc was talking about going for three months and having to leave..and theres no way im gonna do that, i dont wanna go for 3 months that is gay, is it possible to go for the 90 days then go and stay in malaysia or something like that for 90 days then come back and do it all over again??

Comment

OK, Maestro, here's all the Thai language that you need to know.

Took took: Tuk tuk
              Taxi: Taxi
              Beer: Beer
              Peeeza: Pizza
              Manneee: Come here
              Manneee riaow: Come here quickly (now)
              Mak mak: Many, a lot
              Suey: Beautiful
              Suey mak mak: You are very beautiful
              Nah lok jang: You are godawfully awesomely cute
              Nah lok jang mak mak: Good Lord, a Thai woman with tits.
              Ah uwe toh rai kap: How old are you?
              Chen mai son chai: I don't care.
              Ah uwe toh rai kap, chen mai son chai: Thai prison
              Tow lai: How much...
              Boom boom: Boom boom

Memorize that. Especially the last one.

The visa thing is just a current issue with the military coup. The new government just wants to crack down on the illegally working foreigners, so this is there way of showing the people that they "care". In a few months, no doubt, the restirctions will be, well, ignored. The Thai's themselves really don't seem to care. I wouldn't worry about it. Besides, a few months here, a few months in China, and a few months with your buddy Wong Kiew Kit, and you'll be kicking Yan Ming's minion's asses.

I know that's what you want to do.

As for getting around, for 150 USD a month you can rent a motorbike, which is enough to get you around the island, with your suey mak mak boom boom babe on the back, waiting to heed your every command. As the gym here is really taking shape, the company out here might buy a few of these motorbikes, for students to rent at reduced rates. Tuk Tuks can be used for more distant travel, and for those occasions when you have mak mak nah lok jong boom boom babes waiting to manneee riaow.

The "ladies" speak and understand enough English to make it comfortable. For example, my Thai girlfriend understands "Make me dinner", "What's for lunch?", and "PBJ and Diet Coke for breakfast". She also understands the terms laundry, clean, scratch back, and massage. Oh, and she smiles constantly. Remind me to write a small thesis on the comparison between Asian ladies and American women one day. It most certainly will get me into all sorts of trouble. Might even bring Cheyenne back to the forums.

Cambodia is not far away. A one hour flight from BKK. However, Angkor Wat has turned into one hell of an expensive little place, due to the increased tourism. It's an awesome area to visit. Malaysia is one hour by plane also. Have not been to Kuala Lumpur yet, but I hear that it's an awesome city, and country, for being, excuse me, Muslim. Very cosmopolitan and modern. It's on my list of places to go. it's also getting increased tourism, as is Thailand, especially since the two bombings at Bali, the second of which essentially wiped out tourism to that island. Shame, it was wonderful place, full of very kind and wonderful Hindu people.

Three months is a long time. It's a good amount of time. Asia is also one hell of a place to visit, so if you're going to be on this side of the world, you should travel a bit. It can be done inexpensively, still, though China is starting to become ridiculous.

Now stop worrying about these little details and start improving your Thai language skills. There will be a test when you get here.
              Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

russbo.com

Comment

lolo, ill pick that stuff up easy, cantonese was more difficult then that shit

i mean..cmon your talkin to the guy that learned turkish from a guy working at a gas station

turkish doent come in handy though

gule gule lolo

Comment

All this makes me wish I could run off to thailand with you guys. Maybe in the winter of 07/08. I finish med school this spring and have my board exams in the summer. After that I'm free................... except for the pesky student loan repayment thing.

Vince, hope it works out and you have an awesome time.

Maybe I can run into you in phuket in January 08 if they havent kicked you out of the country by then
                  Show me a man who has forgotten words, so that I can have a word with him.

Comment

dao, good luck. my brother finished with his board exam not too long ago. he now has his own practice a couple days a week in a clinic outside SF.
                    ZhongwenMovies.com

Comment

Thanks man, I appreciate it. I'm taking the school completion exams next saturday, the big ol' pass this or we won't let you gradumawait test.

Comment

it would definately be sick if you could come with me, my step brother is saying he wants to go i hope he does just so i can have someone to spar with alot

but a gung fu guy would be better, i could advance in different areas alot quicker..but oh well

atm im looking at getting another job just incase i have to take drastic measures and skip around asia instead of thailand lolo, i have a good deal of money but its lookin like ill only have about 7 gs saved up by the time im supposed to go and i want more then that.

but yea...

was gonna post more questions but whatever

Comment

Got me beat by a long shot, I'm out of work right now and living off financial aid, with zero savings. Spend all the money I have left on food, rent, and my gf. But she'll be graduating as a nurse (RN) just before i graduate, so between the two of us we should be able to make some bank in the fall of 07. Then, and only then can I consider travelling thru asia. Sides, she still needs to dish out a few hundred for her US citizenship, she's wanted to go back to cambodia for a trip for years.......... but afraid if she leaves the us they wont let her back in.

Comment

If she's "afraid of not being let back in", then, she should probably heed her own advice. I've dealt with visa issues quite a bit now, and Immigration is tightening things up. You could always go the xingwei route and marry her. It's a temporary measure though; the govt is cracking down on that too.

russbo.com

Comment

yeah she can get citizenship easy, she's a 21 year california resident. just have to take the test and pay a few hundred.

so its pretty easy to get the papers for travel in thailand and cambodia for less than 90 days in each state, if you have two folks with us passports and good health insurance and apply a few months early for the visas?

Comment

Working...
                              X