No announcement yet.

Shaolin Ma Bu Training

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Very descriptive, thanks for putting this into perspective.

In Thailand, a similar position can be found, albeit, with the "use", or abuse, of ping pong balls.

Master Steve can shed some light on that.
    Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

"You're just a jaded cynical mother****er...." Jeffpeg

(more comments in my User Profile)
    russbo.com

Comment

Ma Bu Stance and Patong Ping Pong are the basics of two completely different art forms. How can you even compare the two together? One is for Self-defense and the other is for Tourist Amusement, but with the new ways of the Shaolin Temple it might be hard to tell which is which.
      I do not have a psychiatrist and I do not want one, for the simple reason that if he listened to me long enough, he might become disturbed.
      "Life can keep providing the rain and I'll keep providing the parade."
      "I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle."
      "Whatever guy said that money don't buy you pleasure didn't know where to go shopping"

Comment

lock your heels out....knees turn inward. you can pivot on your heels.
        ZhongwenMovies.com

Comment

Originally posted by onesp1ng
          lock your heels out....knees turn inward. you can pivot on your heels.
          You forgot to mention the ping pong balls...
          Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

russbo.com

Comment

Ping pong balls? what about marbles, now that would be impressive...

in tai chi my teacher often tells the class to pivot on the heels, although, when you are doing a throw that requires solid structure and balance, you cant be on your heels. imagine trying to do a hip throw, knees bent inward, pivoting on your heels, its not gonna be effective.
            "Life is a run. In attack we run, in defense we run. When you can no longer run, time to die" - Shichiroji "Seven samurai"

Comment

Marbles?

Not marbles.

Basketballs would be impressive.

I think you need to come to Thailand for some "education"....

russbo.com

Comment

you PIVOT on your heels. PIVOT. you can always pivot on your heels. that's my point. you can perform a lot of throws from your heels as well.. you may also throw off the tips of your toes or from the ball of your foot. how effective the throw, regardless of where you throw from, is determined by your position.
                ZhongwenMovies.com

Comment

Well...whatever. I haven't specifically trained my stances for a long time, but I must say, ass-to-grass squatting (with weight) has helped my ability to generate power more than any low horse static training ever did.
                  Becoming what I've dreamed about.

Comment

Splinter, your freaking out, I interpreted your post "cant throw someone with inward pointing knees" as bullshit, and was about to say what vince said. However, i read it as, tori cannot throw uki while uki's knees are pointed inward, which you should know is flagrantly untrue.

You need to be more specific in your wording to diffferentiate........ i now see that you meant tori cannot throw uki while tori has both knees pointed inward. I'm pretty sure vince called you out because he initially interpreted it as I did.

That being said, well duh. Inward pointing knee stances have jack to do with throwing, they're used for striking not throwing. Chief example, the only ma i know of that uses an inward pointing knee stance is wing chun, with its goat riding stance. Not too many throws in wing chun.

Be more specifiic with your catch all statements so that you dont have to chew people out for misinterpreting what you wrote, when you dont even realise they misinterpreted you.

And, just what the hell does not being able to properly execute throws while in goat riding stance have to do with low and high horses?

And lets just further elaborate on that. You can't throw any person from any stance without moving your knees and shifting weight. See? I can make catch all statements too.
                    Show me a man who has forgotten words, so that I can have a word with him.

Comment

Well, just to elaborate, in some of the Shaolin ji ben gong, there are throw maneuvers from a ma bu, whereby the knees, hips and legs remain stable; the throw is faciliated by the placement of the feet and legs, the previous strike, and the movement of the upper body. Hard to explain, I was going to do a video thing on this stuff, but, we got tied up with other things.

russbo.com

Comment

this is what blows about not having a computer..oh well

MS you should chill out, i dunno what else to say..im definately not gonna get in an applications arguement which is what you argue about 90% of the time, thinking everyone else doesnt know how to generate "real" power, or how to throw or whatever

btw what are the 6 harmonies again?!? lolo

ok that was uncalled for, but whatever your post makes you sound bitch, and dao basically said what i would have if i hadnt been away from the internet
                        "did you ask me to consider dick with you??" blooming tianshi lotus

Comment

i was gonna elaborate a little more but i had trouble posting,

as i know it, the power is generated from grounding. the ball of the foot is pressed into the ground and the force travels up the heel, a pidgeon toed stance is more for close range fighting, like leaning to the right and pivoting the waist to strike, the pidgeon toed stance gives you a superiour tri angular angle if it can be applied, in the pidgeon toed stance, its easier to apply stuff like this, the way the toes are pointing, it is easier to deliver different types of force and certain armbars.
                          "Life is a run. In attack we run, in defense we run. When you can no longer run, time to die" - Shichiroji "Seven samurai"

Comment

Originally posted by doc
                            And though your center of gravity is low in a low ma bu stance, your abilty to counteract various vectored forces from different directions, is diminished. A higher stance can actually offer you more stability.
                            but a higher stance can also make you a lot more vulnerable to being taken down. 60/40s with good awareness, although your one leg is slightly offered is really what I like. that's why I like xiao hong.

anyway you guys can argue this shit all day long but it all depends.

i'm sorry, I just don't see much benefit in practicing a high horse stance. it's easy. you basically just stand there for an hour. great. I almost hate to bring it up but when I saw the vids of WKK seminars and their horse stance practice I was like what a goddamn joke. They brag about a 15 minute ma bu? LOL.

doing low stance, if you have structure right, has popped out muscles I never knew I had and like to use, thank you very much.

but like I said, it all depends. it's not really about having a cut leg, at a certain point in your practice it will involve other things.
                            "Arhat, I am your father..."
                            -the Dark Lord Cod

Comment

"i'm sorry, I just don't see much benefit in practicing a high horse stance. it's easy. you basically just stand there for an hour. great. I almost hate to bring it up but when I saw the vids of WKK seminars and their horse stance practice I was like what a goddamn joke. They brag about a 15 minute ma bu? LOL.

doing low stance, if you have structure right, has popped out muscles I never knew I had and like to use, thank you very much.

but like I said, it all depends. it's not really about having a cut leg, at a certain point in your practice it will involve other things."

rich, there is alot of benefit in practicing a high horse, mainly with qi gong or the nei jia. its not neccesarily how long you stay in the stance..i mean if your goal is to be the stance master i still wont be impressed no matter what level you hold your horse or bow etc

mainly because i know the effects of holding a low horse for to long.

anyway doing a horse, cat, bow, and twisted step with thighs parrallel is what i prefer, dont get me wrong, whilst training its very good you are very stable and its a good workout, but your mobility is a little slower, fighting you do need a higher stance so as not to sacrifice moving in any of the 5 directions without hesitation

if you want to talk about being "taken down" well how do you mean? a throw? or via grappling etc? if this is so you should take a look at greco roman

regardless your right we can argue this all day..but im just saying, in fighting sometimes for more extension or for certain techniques you need to go from a lower stance to a higher

but for certain skills like iron body or some qi gong you do need to practice qi gong in a higher horse so you can sink the qi and focus more on the static or sometimes dynamic postures
                              "did you ask me to consider dick with you??" blooming tianshi lotus

Comment

My favorite defense against a shoot grappler who's health i care not for is a quick dropping into a low horse when they go to shoot the leg while snapping the lead elbow up into their crown as they lean in for the shoot.

If the opponent gets up, they will never shoot your legs again, and you'll be safe in a high horse stance.

Low high, train em all. If your goal is to be an effective fighter you'll need a broad range of motion that you're comfortable working with.
                                Show me a man who has forgotten words, so that I can have a word with him.

Comment

Working...
                                X