Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Chinese people - treacherous? (I just wanted to ask...)

You see it in Thailand also, but, for some reason, it is not as obvious, and may be not as prevalent. Though the Thai have not necessarily have had a strong political situation over the past fifty years, (the past ten or so have been fairly stable, with a good healthy economy), the long term association with westerners may have had something to do with tempering this behavior.

There are bad eggs in every basket, and by no means do I want to suggest that Chinese people are bad. I have developed some very strong and loyal friendships over the years with many mainland Chinese, people who would be at my back in times of trouble. It just seems that business wise, the "rules" are different.

And, if you wanted to take this issue further, one might also suggest that you see it in America, with different ethnic groups. I'm not sure I want to open that pandora's box though, LOL.
    Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

"You're just a jaded cynical mother****er...." Jeffpeg

(more comments in my User Profile)
    russbo.com

I noticed this alot in the Philippines as well. The only people I trusted (and them too) was the immediate family, you didn’t trust aunts, uncles, cousins, in-laws (in fact family was the worst!) because they’d stab you in the back (ah, metaphorically ) and rip you off. There were cases were you inherited a house and when you went to the house you found other of your relatives had already moved in and told you piss off. On the whole I found that Filipinos are warm friendly giving people; HOWEVER they don’t have much so survival has taught them to get whatever they can out of you. Years ago when my partner and I were teaching women’s self defense we met a Filipino eskrima master. Again really nice guy and my buddy really liked and respected him. I sized him up on first meeting and while I liked him I knew he wasn’t someone to trust. As Doc stated as friends – great people, but stay away from money because it’s what ever they can get out of you, not because they’re particularly bad people it’s just the way survival has become ingrained in them. They sleep peacefully because they believe they’ve done no wrong, in the great game I won one over you – sucker, too bad. G’nite.

Quote Originally Posted by RJW
    They sleep peacefully because they believe they’ve done no wrong, in the great game I won one over you – sucker, too bad. G’nite.
    I'll complicate this by bringing in the aspect of religion.

I think that Buddhist beliefs play a role in this. The whole concept of tolerance. And karma.

This should trigger a firestorm of shit...
    Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

russbo.com

The form of Buddhism practiced by my family and many other Chinese people is one that revolves around money, fortune, and superstition. Not the morals associated with the religion it's derived from.
    Becoming what I've dreamed about.

Well, that's not what I was getting at. But, you do have a point, I've seen that also.

russbo.com

Lucipha is offline Registered Member: no custom title Registered Member
    Quote Originally Posted by doc
    To someone who can't read too well you may seem like a racist pig, but if i catch it right all you're actually saying is that people put in certain kinds of situations long enough will react in a certain way?

I grew up in a New York City of years ago, and, during those times, racism was rampant. However, I spent my late teenage years devoting my weekends in an inner city hospital Emergency Room in Bedford Stuyvesant, as a volunteer paramedic. Instead of dating, I was helping in one of the absolute worst neighborhoods (at the time) in New York. It was the start to a kind of long and kind of illustrious medical career. I haven't changed much over the years, in fact, I've become even more tolerant in my older age. So, calling me racist, would be a stretch.

However, calling me a "stereotyper", which isn't a word, would be more appropriate. For even though people don't like the concepts of stereotypes, unfortunately, I feel that, to some degree, they exist. I don't find it to be a genetic thing (however, some academicians have tried to associate certain behavior patterns to genetics and species). I think it to be more of a learned behavior thing; people learn from their surroundings and other people, as they grow up. And, they learn from their environment. Grow up in an environment such as China of years ago, and you're going to develop certain types of behavior patterns that you need to survive.

All I said, in the very beginning of this, is that I feel that a great deal of the Chinese live by different rules when it comes to business dealings. I find this also now in Thailand; talk to most experienced foreigners in Thailand who do business there, and you'll find simiilar commentary. Asia is by no means the west; in this thread http://www.russbo.org/vb/showthread.php?t=2978 , which I recommend you visit as I personally think that it is relevant to this discussion, someone made the comment "You cannot apply your cultural standard to them". Very relevant. They live and act the way that they do because of where they are. The problem starts, when they come here to the west, and do not adjust their behavior to our culture.

russbo.com

hummmm

Here is a little smth that diserves to be read but is not an answer or particularly relevant.
    Attached Files Attached Files

I'm really diggin that avatar, Flow.
    Becoming what I've dreamed about.

Quote Originally Posted by zachsan
    Just remember, people who make broad generalizations about other people are all assholes.
    Could you explain why this is? Is it a law of the Universe?

Or just your personal opinion?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast