A Shaolin Kungfu Instructor killed himself in Flushing, NY

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Shaolin Kungfu Instructor killed himself in Flushing, NY

A A Shaolin Martial Arts Instructor Hanged Himself. He worked for “Shaolin Monk” Guolin Shi in New York for three years, never got any salary, Shi Guolin made him illegal and didn’t tell him….

-- See news nov.26 to 30 on www.singtao.com, china press, world jounal, or typing shi heng shan in Chinese on line --

Jimei Wang (Buddist Name Shi Hengshan), 27 years old, a Chinese Kung Fu instructor of Shaolin Temple Overseas Headquarter (a Buddhist Temple and Martial Arts Center) at 41st Ave, Flushing, hanged himself around 12:40 pm on Friday, Nov. 24, 2006 in the backyard of an old couples near Flushing Botanical Garden. He was found by the couple when they threw the garbage. He was took to the emergency room in New York City Queens Hospital. He was pronounced dead at around five o’clock. ( Please check with hospital record and check police’s record-Police Branch 109)

Jimei Wang was hired as a Chinese Martial Arts Instructor with H1B1 Visa from China, by Guolin Shi, the president of Shaolin Temple Overseas Headquarter at 41st Ave, Flushing. He worked for Guolin Shi for three years, but didn’t get any salary from him. He was sick many times, and Guolin Shi didn’t help him to get medical insurance to see the doctor, because he didn't want to get in "trouble". In September, 2006, he was seriously injured at work. Guolin Shi didn’t give him money to see the doctor, but just kicked him out and told Wang that he didn’t extend Wang’s visa and his working visa is expired and told Wang that he is no longer legal in USA. Shi Guolin kicked him out, and didn’t want to give Wang his passport. “Why he didn’t want to give me my passport?” "Tell me is that true I am illegal now?" Hengshan told to his friend. Wang told friends that he doesn’t have his passport and money to go back to China, and he couldn’t even work in USA, because he is illegal now. He believed Guolin Shi will extend visa for him, but he was told when he got kick out from Guolin that he didn’t extend visa for him. "Yea, don't go back to China, I am afraid I will kill my parents as well." He told his friend.(See the tragedy of other instructor mentioned below.)

At around 12:00 pm at noon, just before he commit suicides, he told friends, “I have an appointment with my God-mom (Ms Tsia) and Xiao Lung(Shi Xiao Lung), I want to get my passport back. buy a ticket, and go back to China, and find a place to become a Buddhist Monk.” (His God-mom is actually Guolin’s friend and supporter. ) At 12:50 the police called his friend, he is in New York Queens Hosptial.

During the time he got kicked out from Shaolin Temple, he asked friends to let him stay. One of his Kungfu brothers says “Hengshan pointed at the calendar and said that wherever he went and whatever he did, Guolin always knows”. Friends knew that he already had serious mental illness and disorder.

Yuguo Song was another tragedy from Guolin’s Shaolin Temple. He was hired by Guolin Shi in 2002. He jumped from the second floor inside of Shaolin Temple and tried to kill himself. He was survived, but he was seriously injured and became disabled. He was sent back to China in 2003. He became mental disordered and killed his wife and son. His son was survived, but the wife was dead. He is now in the Mental Disordered Center in Henan, China.

Guolin Shi used the same ways to control both of them and even more people, He told Yuguo Song and Jimei Wang to “dress like a Buddist monk”, and act like a monk, chanting in front of people. Using the name of Shaolin Buddhism, he can make more money. “We saw them getting mental illed and disordered, but we have no ways to help him get out of that fantasy and illusion” His Kungfu teacher from China said. The way Guolin controls and kills people is not by knife, medicine, or physical force, but by mind. He used about 4 kung fu instructors for the past 10 years to help him to grow up the martial arts school, but never paid salary to the instructors. He used those talent martial artist as his slaves, and simply made them became his disciples, and told them to be a Buddhist (not materialism, following the rules…). He also told everybody, including the reporters that Shaolin Temple is non-profit organization, and has no money, that’s why the instructors agree not to get money from him. But lots of Chinese people say he has houses, wife , and children (Hengshan sometimes help him to take care of his children)..

Hengshan's Friend
    Sanxin

Notes: To reporters: Please use your words to rewrite the story and tragedy, and please report this news for the justice and human’s rights. Please do more research. We don’t want to see more people and great talents killed by the fake religious evil. Thank you very much. The police office has the record, the time and location. And please seeking and exploring for more evil things going on in this temple.

Last edited by sanxin; 12-01-2006, 09:44 PM.

This is from Sing Tao Daily:

Shaolin Monk Suicide Shocks New York Chinese Community
    Sing Tao Daily, News Digest, Joe Xia and Crystal Feng, Translation by Eugenia Chien, Posted: Dec 01, 2006
    NEW YORK – The suicide of a Shaolin temple monk has shocked the Chinese community in New York, who are now questioning the treatment of monks by their temples.

Heng Shan, a 27-year-old Buddhist monk, hung himself in the backyard of a New York residence on Nov. 24. Heng Shan had been ill and fell into depression when he lost his legal status in the United States. The New York Police Department 109th Precinct has ruled Heng Shan’s death as suicide.

Heng Shan immigrated to the United States in 2003 on an H1 work visa sponsored by the New York Shaolin Temple Abbot Guo Lin in Flushing to teach martial arts. But like many monks, Heng Shan received no pay or spending money from the temple, which provided the monks with room and board.

Heng Shan’s death stunned the Buddhist community, some of whom hold Abbot Guo Lin responsible, according to Abbot Heng Lin of the Queens Shaolin Temple. She told the Sing Tao Daily that though Abbot Guo Lin sponsored H1 work visas for monks like Heng Shan, the temple did not continue filing the paperwork required for the monks to legally stay in the United States. Monks like Heng Shan came to the United States legally but became undocumented immigrants when the temples fail to file their paperwork.

The Shaolin monastery is the only Buddhist temple combining martial arts and Buddhism. It is one of the most famous schools of martial arts in the world. Monks in the Shaolin temples traditionally go through strict training and meditation. But as branches of the Shaolin Monastery developed throughout the world, people attempted to make profit from the school. The Shaolin temple has become controversial as some practitioners criticize that Buddhist discipline has been lost and others fight for the claim of being the authentic Shaolin monastery.

A woman who had donated money to the Flushing Shaolin Temple said that she had offered to help Heng Shan apply for Medicaid, which would be available even to undocumented immigrants. But Abbot Guo Lin stopped her because he felt it might attract too much trouble. She said that Abbot Guo Lin never paid the monks, who lived in poverty. With no money, family, or legal documentation, the monks could not survive outside the temples. She said that nearby residents would sometimes give the monks money so that they can send money home at the end of the year. She asked the Sing Tao Daily to withhold her name.

In response to the community’s criticism, Abbot Guo Lin said that Heng Shan was important to the temple and that the temple had been nurturing his potential. He said that he wouldn’t mistreat one of his favorite pupils and that the public should not believe rumors. At a press conference on Nov. 28, Abbot Guo Lin said that the temple does not owe Heng Shan back pay. He said that the temple had offered to mail money to Heng Shan’s parents but Heng Shan refused the offer.

According to the Sing Tao Daily, the New York Shaolin temple is registered as a non-profit organization. As a non-profit organization, the temple is bound by U.S. labor laws when it hired martial monks to teach martial arts at its temples. Immigration lawyer Zhang Zhong-yuan told the Sing Tao Daily that as an employer, the temple must honor its agreement with the monks. But Abbot Guo Lin said that monks typically are not paid by their temples, but that the Shaolin temple provided food, shelter, and medical expenses.

Zhang said that food and shelter can account for only a part of the monks’ pay. He said that payment dispute between employers and employees is prevalent in the Chinese community. If the government pursues the situation, Zhang said, there is a high possibility that employers will be sued.

A spokesperson for the Chinese Embassy in New York said that the embassy has contacted Heng Shan’s parents in Anhui province but they have not made plans to come to the United States for funeral arrangements. New York Citycouncilman John Liu said that his office has received many letters about the monk’s death, but it is still too early to say whether anyone was at fault or whether a crime has been committed.
    I suspect that Guo Lin is going to have quite a lot to deal with in the near future...
    Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

"You're just a jaded cynical mother****er...." Jeffpeg

(more comments in my User Profile)
    russbo.com

Comment

Holy crap. I actually trained with Hengshan at Guolin's temple and he was such a great guy. I'm totally speechless about Guolin. When I joined his temple, the first thing he told me is did i pay the tuition money. I dunno but for some reason that bothered me...
      Amithaba

Comment

that would bother me too. there is a school here in SD called jing, they too are money driven, it bothered me so much I quit...
        this is all to sad....

Comment

I was led to believe that guolin ws a pure hearted and genuine person, unlike shi yanzi in London.
          I think they are pretty much all the same. Money money money.

Feel sorry for the poor chap who killed himself. Its quite hard for people from that part of the world when they come over to the west and are left in the dark about the legality of their stay as they often get panicked.

Guolin and his abbot should die the most horific and painful death, its really what they deserve.

Wankers

Comment

jimei wang

Well, Guolin is a disciple of Shi Yong Xin. what can you expect ? like father like son. they are a bunch of rebels. i have heard that many years ago shi yong xin's disciple tried to kill Shi xu shi. not sure if its true. but sounds like this is possible now.

all shaolin monks have wifes. shi yan ming has, so why cant guolin ? at the end there are no real shaolin monks anyway. they are just actors or atheletes from Wushu team.

why dont they just grow back their hair and admit that they are no longer monks, or that they were never monks. i am sure they can still make a living, as many good martial artist in US are not monks !

Comment

Hi,
              long time since I have posted, but this really sad news, that I heard through the UK Warrior grapevine, had me checking out back at the source. Having been in one of these situations with Heng Xuan 20 months or so back, I can easily see how this has happened.

At the same time I really do not think that Guolin was looking for this outcome.

Chicken

Comment

Old school student of the Guo Lin School.

Allow me to permanently demystify China....for any of you who are still living in a fantasy of what you think China.....is like. Though it seems many of you get the jist.

I studied in Guo Lin's school when he only had one "monk" working for him. That monk works outside the school now in NYC. Last I heard anyway.

There are no Shaolin monks. There are no Daoist priests. They are all martial artists....or Wu Shu practitioners.....dressed up like monks and priests. In America and China....all the schools and temples are rigorously controlled by the Chinese government....which uses the temples and schools for income....from tourism and tuiton.

A "monk" (more like a theme actor from a Renaissance festival) must deliver heavy payoffs to the government...local and national....along with big payoffs to the local police department in China...if they want to open a school in the PRC....in fact....usually they are related to or are close friends with someone in the local government or police department. I cannot express to you the depths of corruption in China....you would have to move here and see for yourself.
                There are no real monks running schools here in America or China. It is all bullshit.

They have more then wives....they have girlfriends....and do what everyone else does....when work is over.

All the shaolin gong fu taught today is performance oriented...it is modern wushu with a fancy costume.

If you are learning a form called Da Hong Quan....you are only learning a silly little form that represents less then 1% of the intricacies of a particular style.

A real shaolin monk will spend 3 or 4 years learning the Da Hong Quan system of gong fu. The small form we do today is performance based. But know that you have not learned Da Hong quan.....only scratching its surface.

If you want to learn shaolin martial arts....dont go to the shaolin temple....learn a style from a real lineage. Then you are learning Shaolin ghong fu.

Go to Shandong province and learn real Mantis....go to Fujian and learn Crane.....stay away from the temples.....they wont teach you shit and they are just snagging your money....which goes to the Chinese governent.

Any real monks or priests.....youll never meet them or train with them. They are controlled by the governemnt.....told who to talk to....what they can and cannot do.

I have been living in China for 3 years.....I have lived in 4 cities.

As for Guo Lin.....he is an amazing martial artist. You can learn great things from him. His tuition is dirt cheap. And you can learn better things from him then you can at the Shaolin temple in China. If you are going into this as a moralist......then dont study with him. Enjoy the costumes.....and the flair....Guo Lin is not a mastermind....a genious in any way. He does not take your soul and drive you to become a raving madman....killing your self.....or your family.....there are no single tyrants in China....and there is no mental instability and prozac.....that is how they are. You cannot apply your cultural standard to them. And try to undertand what is going on. The kid who killed himself over reacted. In China kids kill themselves all the time in the Universities when they fail a test......maybe that will put it in perspective.....they are dramatic...and watch too many Chinese movies.

Just know the truth,.....but dont climb on a moral highhorse either. Learn kung fu....if you want to meditate,.....do it at home.

Just remember.....monks need ***** too. Just kidding. I think.

Comment

put it this way, to all shaolin kung fu fans... if you are learning any shaolin kung fu forms that flies around everywhere.... with super low stance. you are not learning the real stuff.

the original shaolin forms, all share with one common feature: The forms start and finish on one straight line. all those forms you see performmed by the US so called monks, are just forms from wu shu. you guys are not learning the real stuff. u are fooling yourself. or, i should say... "somone" is fooling you. to and learn from someone else. there are a lot of good kung fu masters who arent monks, and monks dont mean they are good ! u have to rememeber that. anyone can shave their heads and put on a robe.

Comment

Its too true. All these "Monks" are total bullshit artists. They create this impossible setups and backstories no one can ever really verify here and charge way to much money for basic martial arts training.

I've said this before but here goes again. I am SOOOO glad I got out of the whole shaolin scene.... alive.... Though I came closer than I wanted to to not.... Drop the bull and learn martial arts from a qualified teacher. You don't need to play dress up or a blad man in order to be a good person.... Titles, names and all the other shit doesn't make someone a monk or a even a good teacher. These kinds of things are defined by right action...

I could probably argue I am more of a buddhist than some of these clowns...
                    The essential point in science it not a complicated mathematical formalism or a ritualized experimentation. Rather the heart of science is a kind of shrewd honesty the springs from really wanting to know what the hell is going on!

Comment

Originally posted by idoesnotexist
                      You cannot apply your cultural standard to them. And try to undertand what is going on. The kid who killed himself over reacted. In China kids kill themselves all the time in the Universities when they fail a test......maybe that will put it in perspective.....they are dramatic...and watch too many Chinese movies.
                      I don't disagree with anything that you've said, except for the stuff about Guolin. I really don't know him, nor do I know much about him. And your above comment is thought provoking.

However, I don't think that, even though "kids kill themselves all the time..." can put this tragedy into perspective. Having brought over "monks" to America (Shi Xing Wei, and I use the term "monk" loosely), I can personally attest to the what this huge responsibility entails, both in time, energy, money and devotion. If you're going to bring someone over to this country, you need to take responsibility for them. In fact, at times, when I had Xing Wei living with me, and working at our school, I almost felt as if I had a son. Helping him grow, keeping him away from bad influences, etc, etc; you have no idea the amount of work that was required. And, not only by me, but also by my friends, cohorts, and housekeeper. He has no idea how well he was taken care of, and the way the whole thing turned out, with him turning on us, (for reasons that should be the subject of a different thread), was just eggregious. The point is, in my opinion, IF the above commentaries have any sort of truth to them, Guolin's school, managers, keepers, what have you, should have acted in a more responsible way to their charges. Granted, as we don't know the real truth, IF is a big if.

If you look in previous threads, both in this forum and in the ARCHIVE, you'll find that this "mistreatment" of non-immigrants is fairly common among these so called "monks".

Sad. How one can not take care of one's own kind.
                      Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

russbo.com

Comment

A shaolin Kungfu Instructor killed himself in Flushing, NY

Amituofo Everyone,

This is my first post here, I normally just read what everyone types, but I feel I should say something about this unfortunate mishap in NY. I go to China every summer to train in shaolin with Shi De Cheng and others. Although I find it true that the people we train under (monks) may be frauds, I their teachings are real. Just because they say one thing and do another, it doesn't mean that you can not learn from them. In buddhism aren't you supposed to seek your own truths and verify everything you are told? Not to have blind faith. My point is eventhough we might be taught by someone who doesn't follow buddhist teachings they are still teaching us the path and it is our job to find the validity in what we are being told.

All in all I am taking a trip to see my new shifu, Shi Yan Ming on the 26th and I was thinking of meeting Guo Lin so I am glad I found out about his school.

Amituofo

Comment

Originally posted by demitri
                          Just because they say one thing and do another, it doesn't mean that you can not learn from them.
                          Personally, I would have trouble getting a good education from someone like that. Decheng, for example, well, I think I've learned more from him with respect to how he interacts with people (his actions) than what he has taught me gong fu wise (what he has said).

But, you can learn from people who are inconsistent with respect to their actions, as long as you're savvy enough to see the difference. Not everyone is, however.

russbo.com

Comment

Amituofo Doc,

I was also a student of Shi De Cheng, I am a bit confused, I recently came back from a trip to Las Vegas and I was looking for your school. I saw Xing Wei's school but I only got a chance to tak with Shao ChangJun, is there really a problem between Xing Wei and Shi De Cheng? It has been about 3 years since I have seen Shi De Cheng. If this is too personal but you would like to answer me you can email me at my schools website at www.precioussword.com
                            Amituofo

Comment

I don't think that, even though "kids kill themselves all the time..." can put this t

Amituofo,

Going back on the subject of the one who killed himself. The fact that people in China kill themselves all the time is partially relevent. I think this because in my experiences with chinese people in general there is a certain mindset of someone that devotes there life to something that they believe in and then finds out they were wrong. It is common for chinese people to commit suicide if they feel there isn't another way out. Being a teacher I have spoken to many students and other teachers that confide in me about such thoughts, although it is relevant I still think someone should have been there for him to let him know that there is always another way of dealing with things.
                              Amituofo

Comment

Working...
                              X