Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• xingyi fist

hi guys
    recently,I have heard one of the gongfu,xingyi fist,.have you heard before?
    would you help on answering my questions.
    thanks again

xing yi or hsing yi is an internal style. the footwork is pretty direct as are the strikes and throws. the kicks are usually below waist line although there are always different lineages..

its a decent style i think, probably the hardest of all the internal styles. hard as in external and it was basically made for soldiers or so they say.

as for training ive never done it, ive seen some in person from my teacher and a guy i met in china but, that and what ive seen at emptyflower and other places is about all ive seen
    "did you ask me to consider dick with you??" blooming tianshi lotus

Comment

If you have ever watched Jet Li's movie 'The One' then you have seen Xing yi (or at least a little of it). The bad Jet practiced Xing yi; the good practiced Ba gua zhan.

Legend has it (according to the story I heard) that Xing yi and Ba gua (Pa kua) are family styles and many centuries ago two men -one a Ba Gua master and one a Xing yi master somehow got into a fight. After hours of fighting, neither had won. Soon they became close friends and learned from each other. To this day that is why Xing yi and Ba gua are often taught together.

Xing yi is an aggressive style where the attacks follow straight lines rather than circular footwork. Ba Gua seems to be more defensive and follows an octagonal, eight-step footwork system. The eight steps form an octogon where the opponent is always at the center. Now, in a fight, the Ba gua guy might get say, 2 or 4 steps in one direction (one fourth to one half of the octogon) before having to change direction, but in doing so, he is starting a new octogon with the opponent once again at the center where he will try to keep him.

Comment

Don't you waste a lot of energy "running around" your opponent, creating these new octagons, trying to keep your opponent in the circle?
        Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

"You're just a jaded cynical mother****er...." Jeffpeg

(more comments in my User Profile)
        russbo.com

Comment

I've not been taught Ba gua yet (I won't be taught that for about another year in my kwoon's curriculum) so I can't say from experience. But it was explained to me that it's not much different from other circular footwork.

To answer your question more specifically -and remember my knowledge on this is very limited- in a fight, two opponents often circle each other as if both were walking on a painted circle on the ground. The opponents are exactly opposite each other, both moving clockwise or counter-clockwise on the circle. The Ba gua guy's circle is actually a well-defined octogon instead of a circle and his PHILOSOPHY is that his opponent IS on the center of his octogon (even though the opponent might be circling as well). The philosophy of the Xing yi guy on the other hand is that he is on the center of no one's circle. There are no circles. He attacks the opponent straight on regardless of where either one was standing a moment before.

If somebody has practiced this stuff or knows more about the styles' nature, please correct me; I'd be very interested to know.

Comment

Working...
          X