Steroids

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steroids

ok. just to clarify before i even begin. this is just a question. i'm looking for opinions and tales of experience. i personally am not judging anyone.

at least not yet... say something stupid and i might.

as some of you may know from reading old posts of mine i came to martial arts from a weight lifting background. while i still do some weights i definetley don't attack the iron with the same vigour i used to. i've lost 10kg's since i stopped and these days use light weigths at high repetitions with many sets.

i've never done 'roids myself. but i do know professional trainers and professional bodybuilders who have and do. these are guys who source their product from medical professionals, not disgraced vets.

anyway, they swear by the stuff. however they don't advise it for anyone starting out with weigths. their feeling is that it should be reserved for dedicated athletes with years of training behind them. one story i'm told revolves around an athlete who used 'roids to come regain losses after a serious car accident left him unable to train for a year.

and the point of this post is...

i never hear of martial artists using 'roids. has anyone? can they share stories? more fact based and less urban myth please...

Doc, as always i'm sure i can expect a balanced opinion from yourself.

thanks

There are only 10 types of people in this world.
    Those that understand binary and those that don't.

Well, steroids are used all the time to treat injuries, even in non-athletes, so the one guy you're talking about might have just been getting epidural injections or something like that to help with back pain.

Comment

i'm wondering about the use of 'roids post injury repair... specifically, for gains. for example: can they aid in furthering flexibility? i know cyclists hammer the stuff so it must have benefits for endurance? what benefits can be derived from their use aside from muscle gain?

very unPC of me but surley a boys allowed to ponder.

There are only 10 types of people in this world.
      Those that understand binary and those that don't.

Comment

Regardless of whether you're post injury or not, androgenic steroids are going to build muscle mass; they will also promote hair loss, testicular shrinkage, psychosis, acne, and eventually, cardiac valve problems, connective tissue issues, liver, brain, testicular and other cancer susceptiblilty, mental state changes including rage, psychosis, paranoia, and aggession.

They will not promote flexibility, in fact, sometimes by building muscle mass, they will diminish it.

These things are not to be used lightly. The desired benefits sometimes do not outweigh the potential future risks. Factors include one's general health, genetics, other cancer causing factors, and dosage / length of time used.
        Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

"You're just a jaded cynical mother****er...." Jeffpeg

(more comments in my User Profile)
        russbo.com

Comment

A lot of bodybuilders and lifters promote conditional steroid use, mainly to those who are experienced, like you said. People get on gear expecting it to be some kind of miracle drug that will make their stats go up 100 fold in one night...

Basically, steroids are a tool used best by people so educated on the subject that they are pretty much experts. Similarly, these people have usually 10+ years working out hard and smart.

There are a lot of different types of roids, I think cyclists use them mainly to maintain or boost their red blood cell counts...in essence, for endurance and stuff.

Bodybuilders like steroids because they can build muscle and loose bodyfat at the same time...cutting fat while clean would make you lose muscle mass and building it requires most professional-level bb'ers to get fat as hell. They also like the fact that AAS boosts their recovery periods so they can get more workouts in... as you're aware, shorter recovery+more volume and frequency=bigger muscles.
          Becoming what I've dreamed about.

Comment

Originally posted by LeiYunFat

Basically, steroids are a tool used best by people so educated on the subject that they are pretty much experts. Similarly, these people have usually 10+ years working out hard and smart.
            Your "experts" are the ones that usually end up with all the psychiatric and health problems.

Keep that in mind.
            Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

russbo.com

Comment

I haven't worked with druged up **** ups, so I wouldn't know anything from experience...

But what I see are teenagers and other various uneducated people getting all the publicity for ****ing up, while the professional boddybuilders and strongmen make thousands of dollars doing what they do.

AAS is a tool, just like everything else. I'm not condoning nor am I negating its use among those who know how to use it to, logically as possible, achieve thier goals. If they've learned everything they can about it, good and bad, and still choose to use it...then I respect that choice.

Comment

while the professional boddybuilders and strongmen make thousands of dollars doing what they do.
                And I see one guy making a million dollars a week playing soccer in Los Angeles. That doesn't mean that everyone should forego an education and a career to spend their days hitting a little white ball.

And he's not even happy, LOL...

russbo.com

Comment

That doesn't mean that everyone should forego an education and a career to spend their days hitting a little white ball.
                  Really? Cuz that's what I got from it.

Comment

LOL, who's saying anything about going pro? Renato wanted some basic info on roids and I gave it to him...I didn't advocate anything.

My comparison was made to show that those who **** up using roids are predominantly uneducated and abuse the drug to a massive extent while the pros are making a living off how they use the steroids.

AAS were made illegal because of ignorant people jeopardizing their health with them...

I'm not saying that once you read a few articles online, you need to go stick a hypodermic needle in your ass, I'm simply promoting education on the subject, rather than avoiding it blindly. I know you're way more educated and experienced than I, but since when is knowledge bad?

Renato: Steroids are almost always bad. Research why.

Comment

My comparison was made to show that those who **** up using roids are predominantly uneducated and abuse the drug to a massive extent while the pros are making a living off how they use the steroids.

AAS were made illegal because of ignorant people jeopardizing their health with them...
                      A is equal to B

B is equal to C

Therefore, is A equal to C?

(Are the pro's ignorant people who are jeopardizing their health?)

russbo.com

Comment

Okay, let's resolve some things...

If steroids cause bodily harm to any normal person using them
                        And if professionals use steroids
                        Then professionals are causing bodily harm to themselves.

Okay, I'm willing to concede that. The difference is the duration it takes for them to crash and burn as opposed to the teenager juicing up just so he could get big biceps. That difference is made through knowing how to use the drug to thier greatest advantage.

During that time, they are able to make a living off being juicers, while many of the juicers at your local gym ruin their bodies at thier expense.

I never said AAS were healthy if used correctly. I implied that if used wisely, the negative side effects can be lessened or prolonged for whatever you want to do while you're on them.

Comment

I say the same thing all the time about heroin...leave it to the professionals kids, if you've been a junkie long enough you'd be surprised how heavy you can dose without dying.

Comment

Heroin is for bodybuilders who want to cut fat...steroids are for bodybuilders who want bigger titties.

Comment

I inject heroin straight into my penis because i know the ladies like a pencil thin penis. I inject steroids into my brain because the brain is a muscle and the steroids make it bigger and bigger equals smarter. Always.

This thought of steroid use in MA crossed my mind but why would you want to... Well great, you can look like Tito Ortiz or Shamrock, or half of those UFC boys. No finesse just sloppy brutality.

The short path bring you to the end quicker.

I prefer to smoke opium to make my QI stronger when I practice stopping bullets with my Kevlar Shirt technique.

Just some jewels from my family.
                              "What is barely legal?" - Ali G

Comment

Working...
                              X