No announcement yet.

Why do monks hold up their right hand?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why do monks hold up their right hand?

I been posting around the forums trying to get a feel for people. If they really know kung fu, if they are here for entertainment or a sense of community, whatever. From the responses to some of the posts I have made, I get the feeling that many people are just people training in kung fu. They don't really know much about kung fu or how it applies to life or human culture.

To see if I am completely wrong in judging people, I thought I would ask a question and see what the replies were. I don't think anyone will know the answer. I suppose people might know the answer and be the silent or secretive type. Maybe that is what the other people I think don't know much about kung fu are doing. They know everything about kung fu, but they keep it to themselves and don't post it.

If that is the case, I am still posting my question. I do not like people that keep secrets so they are powerful and everyone else is weak. I think everyone should know the "secrets" of kung fu or life in general. If someone wants power, they should win it through fair and square competition, not winning by withholding knowledge or using secrets the other person does not have.
    -----------------

My question is:

Why do monks walk around with their right hand raised up in the sign of blessing?

You know what I mean don't you? The arm is raised in something like a Wing Chun Pak Sau manner? The hand is held with the hand vertical so the palm faces the left side of the body? The monks walk around holding their hand in this postion all the time, or they make the gesture as a sign of respect, or they make the gesture when they make a mistake and invoke the forgiveness of.....Buddha I think.

Anyone know? Don't be shy. Don't be secretive.

If you are being secretive, I am sorry but I am going to give the information away for free. Why not just fess up so you can take the glory of being the one to tell people something they did not know?

Do a search for Hui Ke (or Huike) in the russbo.com general website search area.
    Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

"You're just a jaded cynical mother****er...." Jeffpeg

(more comments in my User Profile)
    russbo.com

Comment

Shaolin is not a pissing contest.

That's the 1st rule of Shaolin Buddhism. Happeh, you fall at the first hurdle, I'll look forward to hearing from you again when you've reviewed the basics.

Chicken

Comment

Gawd Happeh, your ability to judge people is unparalleled!

Shit, if you didn't call everyone out like that, you'd risk looking stupid, intstead of an elitist asshole, like you do now...

How did you ever know to ask this question? How did you know that I, among all the other posers on Russbo, didn't know that a monk cut his left arm off just so he could be trained, as a sign of dedication and commitment?

On a side note, I always thought cutting the right arm off would show even more dedication. I felt like the left arm was always kind of the lazy way out of choosing which arm to cut.
        Becoming what I've dreamed about.

Comment

Do a search for Hui Ke
          Ever notice that when someone is being a bit of a schtick, the one person most capable of putting them in their place is usually content to let the others have all the fun doing it?

Why so passive, Doc?

Comment

Looks like you answered that question yourself.
            Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

russbo.com

Comment

Oh, and I've been "quiet" for many reasons, just so you guys know.

For one, my laptop died. It take to being dropped too well. The motherboard shorted out, and I'm waiting for it to come back home. I have trouble typing on my desktop keyboard. Keep hitting the damn Windows key, which causes all sorts of trouble...

And, I'm catching up on many things, after the turmoil and rigor of the party, which, by the way, was a lot of fun, with a lot of people. It was a great time, and it was fun having everyone come to visit, but, I have to get ready to return to Thailand, and there's so much to do....

russbo.com

Comment

Originally posted by LeiYunFat
                How did you ever know to ask this question? How did you know that I, among all the other posers on Russbo, didn't know that a monk cut his left arm off just so he could be trained, as a sign of dedication and commitment?

On a side note, I always thought cutting the right arm off would show even more dedication. I felt like the left arm was always kind of the lazy way out of choosing which arm to cut.
                What are you talking about?

Is this what you believe the answer to the question is?

Foolish Gwai Lo. That is one of those stories Asians tell to stupid westerners to shut them up. Like telling a kid some story to shut them up.

Comment

Originally posted by doc
                  Do a search for Hui Ke (or Huike) in the russbo.com general website search area.
                  You are used to ordering people around huh?

Sorry. If you feel you have the answer, you could post it here.

I can't be bothered to be ordered to go looking here and there for things. That is what your students are for.
                  --------------

I guess I should not triple post.

Kinda what I thought. No one knows the answer. Just more posts telling me what kind of "insert derogotory comment here" person I am.

I will give it a few more days to see if someone wants to bother to come up with the answer. If anyone knows it. Then I will tell you what it is. Even if you say more nasty things to me.

It is OK. I know envy makes people do things they will later be ashamed of. I have done that too. I am telling you that you will be ashamed later on of your treatment of me to try to spare you the guilt.

I didn't listen when people said that to me so I doubt you will listen if I tell it to you. Still. It is the honest truth.

Comment

Okay. I am curious to what your answer is Happeh. I thought Leiyunfat had a right answer.

all under desolate arctic cold in other universal skies but a star tries a righteous deed
                    "What is barely legal?" - Ali G

Comment

Well, Happeh...I guess you're just too knowledgable for us...

You Asains and your secrets...LOL. Wow, us white folk...we don't know shit.

Comment

did you just call us foolish "Gwai Lo?" ooooo, no u didn't.... them is fighten words...boooooooy!!!!!!!! hahahahahaha!!!
                        ZhongwenMovies.com

Comment

I don't even know why he bothers posting anything. He's obviously just looking for a fight. His entire philosophy of life is apparently "East smart West stupid". You have to feel bad for the guy.

Comment

Well, I might if he gets cancer or something.

Comment

you get the feeling that he thinks he is just so cool, but actually, no one is looking forward to any of his extremely pathetically retarded replies.

this is gonna be so incredibly stupid... after i read it im gonna be so annoyed that im gonna commit suicide by punching myself in the face over and over again, fantasizing that it is happeh as i fade into oblivion.
                              "Life is a run. In attack we run, in defense we run. When you can no longer run, time to die" - Shichiroji "Seven samurai"

Comment

Working...
                              X