No announcement yet.

Why do monks hold up their right hand?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

he's from the UK...and I don't think he's asian either...
    "What is barely legal?" - Ali G

Comment

HES FROM THE UK!!!!
      HAHAHAHA THAT EXPLAINS EVERYTHING!!!!
      "Life is a run. In attack we run, in defense we run. When you can no longer run, time to die" - Shichiroji "Seven samurai"

Comment

you fooooooooowish GWAI WOE!!!!!!!!
        "Life is a run. In attack we run, in defense we run. When you can no longer run, time to die" - Shichiroji "Seven samurai"

Comment

Hahahahahahahaaha

Gwai lo's everywhere!
          Becoming what I've dreamed about.

Comment

Hey.

I'm a gwai lo.

Remember that.

Or it's HELL for all of you.... (and I'll bring back BL just for you to play with down there)
            Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

"You're just a jaded cynical mother****er...." Jeffpeg

(more comments in my User Profile)
            russbo.com

Comment

You know, I've read a lot of his posts and after each one I usually thought: "man this guy is retarded -or maybe he's actually a 14 year old kid fantasizing about being a kung fu master and beating up the evil ninjas. -Maybe he's just a 14 year old surfing the web who is pretending to be an adult on this forum; it's certainly possible, just look at his posts."

But then I would back out of the reply screen because I realize there was the remote possibility that he actually was a skilled and knowledgeable person -albeit a childishly quarrelsome one with narcissistic tendencies.

But no, I think I was right the first time. He's a kid.

By Master Splinter:
              this is gonna be so incredibly stupid... after i read it im gonna be so annoyed that im gonna commit suicide by punching myself in the face over and over again, fantasizing that it is happeh as i fade into oblivion.
              I laugh uncontrollably every time I read that, so I just had to quote it. -Spot on, too.
              Last edited by michael289; 02-10-2007, 06:58 PM.

Comment

Heya Guys! That "Gwai Lo" comment was pretty funny huh?

Whoever it was, I am not 14. I may talk like that, but that is because I am trying to fit into the internet. Most people talk like 14 years olds. If I try to talk older, people get real resentful or they keep me at a distance or they feel threatened by my perceived age. A 14 year old threatens no one and can be easily dismissed. A 14 year old persona allows me to slid by the guys with big egos a few extra days because they keep telling themselves I am just a stoopid kid.

Did you know high level kung fu is about misdirection?
                -------------------------------------------------------------

I promised you all an answer and here it is.

The kung fu that the monk's practice generates a particular kind of power. Because of the way the human body is constructed at a deep level, that power will want to go out of the arm.

The shoulder joint is probably the most complex area of the body. The shoulder itself has to rotate and move in all directions, and it has the connections for the complicated hands traveling thru them.

All of that complexity is a blockage for the energy or power that is coming from the internal area of the monk. If the shoulder area is misaligned or blocked, the power or energy will back up inside of their body like water backing up behind a bunch of sticks and leaves in the sidewalk gutter.

By holding their arms in that rigid posture, they open up the entire shoulder area, and increase the chances that all of the bones and muscles will be properly aligned so that the power can flow freely out from the interior of the body, out through the shoulder and arm and finally out through the hand.

It is not something you can fake. If you hold your arm like their's, but you don't have the power or connections, you won't feel anything. If you have the power and connections, you will feel.......oh hell, I don't know how to explain it. Subjective feelings are described differently by everyone.

You will feel a twisting about your arm and a pulling downward on that side of the body.

What you can do though is verify what I am saying about opening up the shoulder by holding your arm in that prayer gesture. Make the prayer gester, a gesture just like a Wing Chun Pak Sau, and try to stick your elbow out at 90 degrees to your side. If you can, push your elbow even further forward while maintaining the distance between the hand and the chest.

Take your other hand and feel your side and your armpit. It should all be wide open and stretched out now. You might feel some rigid muscles or tendons in there. Those monks walk around with that arm in that position all the time. I wonder if that constant rigidity and tension makes that part of their shoulder stronger?
                ---------------------------------

Do you know anything about geometry or trigonometry?

Did you know that what you see is determined by how you think? Not what is actually there?

If you look at a monk with his arm raised, what do you see? A holy man making a ritual gesture?

If you were an architect, a mathmatician or a surveyor, you would see a man holding his arm in a certain configuration. A configuration that looks just like two legs of a triangle.

I wonder if the triangle that a surveyor sees in the ritualistic gesture of a monk has any relationship to kung fu?
                Last edited by Happeh; 02-15-2007, 05:23 PM.

Comment

Doc and/or Russbo administrators...

I would appreciate it if that picture on Happeh's Avatar is removed...
                  If children are registered on this site, or able to view please remove it.
                  Thanks,
                  Chicken

Comment

So much for opening up the russbo estore....

Boys will be boys.
                    Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

russbo.com

Comment

Hey Doc,

everything has its place...

...and Tets has really out-done himself with the replacement!

Chicken

Comment

LOL, oh man. I like his "title" too.

Comment

Careful chicken.

Tets purchased the power to do these things.

He can do them to you too....

russbo.com

Comment

Originally posted by Happeh
                            Heya Guys! That "Gwai Lo" comment was pretty funny huh?

no,

you actually have to be funny to tell funny jokes.

you, on the other hand, are more on the psycho side... was the movie psycho funny? no... it wasnt.

nice try though, seriously...

Comment

Another post with nothing but smack talk in it. You guys do have the ability to examine an argument, dissect it for weak points, then elucidate those weak points in common understandable english don't you?

I have seen no evidence of that yet.

Comment

Happeh,

all of the senior contributors and higher on the board have that ability. However when the entire post is weak, there's no point(s), and taking the piss is the normal behaviour.

You should get this. Since you don't I'm spelling it out for you here. You have to try to make just a little sense, or they won't engage with you.

If you can't make sense then you've lost touch with reality... medication might help. Have you been diagnosed? Do you take any meds?

Prehaps we could try the thread again with you on meds, we might have a completely different debate?

Chicken

Comment

Working...
                                X