Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What's up with the continuous punch???

Sensing intent, huh? I hope the WC intent training is better than the ninjitsu intent training...LOL

The way I've come to understand this "intent" makes it seem vauge. I'd describe it like, a momentum, or a prediction/educated guess on what you're opponent's going to try next. After doing basic chi sau, I've found that it's suprisingly effective.
    Becoming what I've dreamed about.

About the sence intent. It's hard to explain because I don't have enough vocabulary to explain what I want to say but anyway here it goes:

I wouldn't call it guessing because guessing is a conscious action that comes through observation, processing and evaluation and maybe misinterpreting. This is what you do in the long range. By observing tiny movements of the shoulders you try to predict the incoming attack.

Now in the short range there is no time for these different processes, so you need to skip some of them. Just think what would happen if you have to fight with your head down to be able to see your opponent's feet and hands.
    The whole idea is using subconscious processing, which registrate a lot of things that your conscious mind needs more time for.

How to do this is make contact with your opponent to use sensing. But not as in try to feel the intent and then decide how to counter and then do it.

First of all if, for example your arm touches another arm your subconscious knows the distance between both and knows the position of your own and the other arm. It also knows in what angle you are positioned and knows if it can proceed downwards, upwards, sideways,... . Or in other words you feel where the ribs, solar plexus, kneecap, throat,..... of yourself an your opponent are and you know if you are at the correct distance to strike any of these points and protect your own without having to actively think about it.

My experience is that it's about filling the void. You try to advance and if you feel resistance you change direction looking for less resistance, and if there's a void you just keep advancing. Not thinking in terms of kicking, punches, elbows or whatever. Just searching to feel the void.

And when there's a void you fill it with whatever part of your body happens to find this void, could be an elbow, fist, palm strike, knee, kick, ... anything

Entering in the void can open up your opponent or he can sense the void and close it, so you just keep searching for a new void. Because this filling the gap is for defense as well as offense.

If you succeed filling the gap and hit your oppent, try to hit him again through a new or the same void, and now is where the continuous punch comes in.

Doing so you eliminated the whole observing, processing, evaluating, guessing process. sensing intent. But as telepathic distance ninjutsu crap.

Hopefully it clears some of this sensitive guys stuff. But we also talk a lot about our feelings and about how horrible it was when bambi was left all alone,.... oh god, I feel tears coming.... I'll have to stop now, can`t take it no more......

But as telepathic distance ninjutsu crap.
    Damn, I left out the NOT. NOt as telepathic distance ninjitsu crap that is.

I don't want to get into the whole Bambi thing. I still get teary eyed when thinking about the time Bambi met Godzilla. Crushed me as a child. Still have nightmares.

Back to the continuous punch thing. I'm not exactly sure I follow where you're going with this, but I'll add this.

In Kenpo, as in many other martial arts, there are five basic concepts when it comes to striking:

A strike is a strike
    A block is a block
    A strike can be a block
    A block can be a strike
    A strike can be a block and a strike concurrently.

The last one, is the "continuous punch"?
    Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

"You're just a jaded cynical mother****er...." Jeffpeg

(more comments in my User Profile)
    russbo.com

Continuous or Chain punch isn't just one punch. It's several consecutive fast punches directed at the same point.

Let's say you got into short range and your opponent has left his center open. Now you could punch him in the solar plexus and then turn back to defense or try to hit him on the chin.
    Or you could hit him 3, 4, 5,...times in the solar plexus by rapidly making circles in front of your chest (left, right, left, right,....) doing damage to the same part of the body to finish the fight.

The second option would be a Continuous Punch or Chain Punch.

Wu Longxin is offline Registered Member: no custom title Registered Member
    considering since you say your not as advance carona you explained the intent maybe even better than i couldve, the intent isnt like some telepathic thing, its just while my arm is on yours, so as you get ready to move it i will feel it and react accordingly, either continue your arm in that same direction and throw you off balance, or maybe move around the point and take your centerline

the chain punch is like carona said exactly what it means, a continuous chain of punches, its once weve have taken your centerline or got you in a bad position off balance when were are inside, its like bamm theres the opening punch punch punch until the person goes down, never giving him a chance to regain his composure.. the whole point of the jarring motions in pak sao, lop sao, etc , is to make the opponent freeze up then once they do never let them regain composure... youve seen or experienced how hard it is when you catch a jarring hit or lose balance and someone throws a couple punches its like whoa i need to step back and shake it off... just imagine as you were thinking in your head i need to step back boom there we are in your face with continuous punches running you over

heres a click on youtube from one of the other senior guys chi saoing at my school http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ISE3y42dlI ... didnt feel like figuring out how to put a link

Quote Originally Posted by LeiYunFat
    Sensing intent, huh? I hope the WC intent training is better than the ninjitsu intent training...LOL

The way I've come to understand this "intent" makes it seem vauge. I'd describe it like, a momentum, or a prediction/educated guess on what you're opponent's going to try next. After doing basic chi sau, I've found that it's suprisingly effective.
    I can't believe you would say this, then have the gall to challenge some of the things I say.

If you can't explain intent, why should I accept the other things you say?

Intent is sensing the other person's energy. Or, intent is sensing the other person's thoughts.
    --------------------

Chain punching to me is a couple of things I didn't see mentioned.

Chain punching is a psyhcological attack. The muliple impacts prevent the other person from recovering like they would if you gave them multiple boxing style punches or other kung fu style punches.

Chain punching is about physics. A chain punch comes straight in. It is fast and direct. Something like a right cross is a looping style punch that takes more time to execute. The difference in time is a maybe less than a second but it does count.

Chain punching is about targets. Everyone thinks about fighting as in winning a fight instead of fighting as a means of saving your life. Wing Chun was invented for women who are usually shorter than men. If a short woman does a chain punch to a man, their arms are almost always at throat level. That is the target for chain punches. You punch someone in the throat, they die.

Because you can't go around killing people in modern society, people use chain punches on the face instead. Obviously a punch to the bones in the face is not as effective as a punch to the soft flesh covered airway in the throat.
    Last edited by Happeh; 02-18-2007 at 02:31 AM.

That's what I just said, minus all the stupid shit.
    Becoming what I've dreamed about.

Wu Longxin is offline Registered Member: no custom title Registered Member
    i said it prevents the other person from regaining their composure.. and its more of sensing the energy, not so much the thought, its that the thought of doing something usually leads you to begin to do it.. like when you wanna punch someone then your arm starts to tense up, chi sao practice teaches us to not do that, so when we go we just go with no warning or telegraphing.. probably were bruce lee got the nontelegraphing punch from... he only trained wingchun for like 2 years but some of the stuff he says in his books, is alot of what is really advanced wingchun stuff

Do you know that Bruce went back to his old Wing Chun school and proceeded to whoop up all of Yip's top students after perfecting his Jeet Koon Do??? At least this is what he claimed in his books. (not whoop as in actualy fight, just friendly challenges)

And I might be wrong, but I was under the impression that Bruce had studdied in Wing Chun under Yip Man for the majority of his childhood.
    "Winners turn to losers, losers are forgotten..." - A Tribe Called Quest

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast