Sleep and its effects

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tetsumaru
    Is waking up and experiencing the "sleep paralysis" bad for your brain? I have this happen once every month or so. Freaks me the **** out!
    Only if you "wake up" next to some fat chick that you didn't know you went to bed with.
    Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

"You're just a jaded cynical mother****er...." Jeffpeg

(more comments in my User Profile)
    russbo.com

Comment

lol,he said astral...zhao yun, you have been playing to much legacy of kain...

sleep paralysis used to happen to me alot, like 3 times a week, especially when im stressed out, i absolutly hate it.

i remember one time i actually got up and walked to my door, i felt like i was 100 pounds heavier, the funny thing is, when i reached my door, i blinked or something, and i was back in my bed, still paralyzed, like it never happened, there was another time where i screamed at the top of my lungs trying to sit up, no voice came out, but i felt the physical strain of screaming, then i heard a deep screaming behind me which freaked me the hell out, maybe it was an airplane or something...

sometimes when it happens, i can see the room, but i cant move, and the room will be slightly different, the t.v is in a different place, crap like that... its really weird, and its sucks, sometimes it scares the hell out of me, and it will happen consecutively. like 5 times in a row, sometimes it will even keep happening if i get up, get a drink and then lay back down, i began to associate it with my sleeping position since it happened usually when i was on my back and my head was tilted backwards, so i lay on my side to prevent it from happening, i think it is linked to the id conciousness, just a wild guess...,
      i never tried zhao's tactic, but i wake myself up by calming down, focusing and jumping myself out of sleep.
      i just realized that i have issues...
      "Life is a run. In attack we run, in defense we run. When you can no longer run, time to die" - Shichiroji "Seven samurai"

Comment

Splinter what you just described is pretty standard.

The heavyness you experienced is normal because you were so close to your body. Here's the deal.

You energy self was out of your body, but you were still within 5-6 feet of your physical sleeping body. Within that distance there's a really really strong pull from your energy body back to your physical self. If you can break away from that distance then you'll get slack and have more freedom of movement.

Here's a good method if you're having a lucid dream, or you manage to break away from that 5-6 foot range, and you don't want to wake up. What you do is look at your hands and bring your hands into focus, then put your arms out and spin around a few times. It stimulates your inner ear, and generally helps you focus on the lucid dream more, keeping you from waking up longer.

See, sleep paralaysis happens because when you go to sleep, your mind paralyzes all of your muscles to keep the body from hurting itself while your brain goes into rem sleep. When you have sleep paralysis and you are aware of it, generally your energy body has returned to your physical form, and is hovering either right above your body, or inside of it. You're aware that you're paralyzed, because your consciousness has returned before you had completely returned to your physical body. Getting up, and walking away, then feeling the heavyness, means that you've gotten up before you rejoind your physical body, so it's your energy body walking away - enter the 'pull' of the 5-6 foot range.

The thing that really sucks about it, is when people are 'aware' and not yet in their physical body, so they feel trapped, or trapped in the dark, and get scared. In that state negative spirits can take advantage of you. I've known a lot of people who have had that sleepy paralysis, and then felt harassed by someone or something. If it ever happens, and you can't move. Like I said, wiggle your finger, then wiggle your hand, then wiggle your arm. You'll break out of it, and get right back into your body. It ALWAYS works.

Remember - there's nothing to be afraid of.

Comment

I experience sleep paralysis most during the school/work week when I run to my car between classes to nap. In my mind, I want to just take a quick nap, so I try to sleep as light as possible so I don't over do it and miss the class entirely.

Ironically, since during the week I am pretty much REM-deprived, my body will jump into this heavy stage of sleep as soon as possible. I've had sleep paralysis on a number of occasions, and even SP while dreaming about SP. I suspect that the majority of things I see during sleep paralysis are actually hallucinations, rather than my eyes being open and I am unable to move.

A trick I typically use is to stop breathing or control my breath until I can wake up. It usually works, but sometimes I'm just unable to struggle with it anymore, so I just go back to sleep.

And I guess while we're on this...

Lucid dreaming? I gone lucid pretty often these last few months...
          Becoming what I've dreamed about.

Comment

"I suspect that the majority of things I see during sleep paralysis are actually hallucinations, rather than my eyes being open and I am unable to move."

Your eyes are NOT open during sleep paralysis. If you can see, you're seeing into the astral with your energy body. Hallucinations are just the non physical forms of the astral.

Comment

I don't know about that. I've had some instances where my eyes were half open and I could see everything below my eyelids...

There are probably magnitudes of paralysis, I don't know. What do you think?

Comment

Sleep paralysis, straight up, is returning to consciousness before you have returned to your body. While it's certainly possible your eyelids might be 'half open' if you sleep with your eyes half open, the overwhelming majority of the time anything you see while experiencing sleep paralysis is just you looking out into the local astral of your sleeping area. It's not hard to understand.

Comment

Wow I guess you're just scores above anything I can ever comprehend. While it's obvious you've been reading up on your shit, it doesn't at any point give you permission to talk to me like I'm an idiot. If I don't accept your definitions and explanations, then don't take it like an insult.

Comment

zhao yun,

you seem to believe everthing you are saying, which to me, is hilarious.

unless you think that im stupid enough to believe you...

"stick your arms out and spin around three times" lol, gotta admit though, i almost almost wanted to try it.

i am aware that the brain "chemically" paralyzes you since during sleep, there is no difference while draming, the neural action that take place during dreaming, would cause you to act your dreams out in real life (lol i wonder what would happen during a flying dream)

i feel that its all in the mind, but if it is some sort of astral projection, im not messin with it, i like my body, and i prefer traveling the physical plane, thanks but no thanks psycho yun.
                    "Life is a run. In attack we run, in defense we run. When you can no longer run, time to die" - Shichiroji "Seven samurai"

Comment

I don't know anything about sleep paralysis, but I do know about DXM... !
                      Have any of you ever heard of or taken "Coricidan", a cold and flu medicine ?
                      Maybe I shouldn't talk about this 'cause I know theres some of you out there who are still into drugs, but......
                      I could never drink cough syrup, just too nasty, so when I was 16 or 17 a friend introduced me to Coricidan. I has the same chemical, DXM, in it. THough not the same as DMT. Comes in packs of 18. Take hlf the pack and you get a mild high, take the whole pack and you get destroied. Not a visual halucination but a phyisical one. You get waves through your body, but not like X. Once, under the influence of Coricidan I felt as though I could control every individual muscle in my body. I spent half the night rolling around on the floor in a ball as if no-one else (sober) could do this. Then I bench pressed my friend Dan. He weighs 180 lbs and I can't bench 180. But I did bench press him that night !!!

I don't suggest anyone to go out and try this drug though. On another occasion I shut my eyes and listened to my heart slow down to the point that I felt If I didn't open my eyes again my heart would stop and that would be that. I opened them, my heart resumed normal function and all was well. I saw on the news a week later that, in some state out west, two kids had overdosed off of Coricidan and two kids were hospitalized !! The scary part is all four of the kids had taken less than I ever did ! That was almost the last time I took the drug !

It was my drug of choice for a while, but way too dangerous to play with !!! I was lucky.
                      "Winners turn to losers, losers are forgotten..." - A Tribe Called Quest

Comment

Wow. Hahahaha, well, I'm glad I just want to research this stuff.

Comment

Better stay off that lean...

Comment

Would'nt the muscles and repair of muscles have to do with the nervous system and the spine, more than chemical changesinthe brain?
                            which also makes me wonder, what is it that sustains maintains and directs cell growth. i dont think modernmedicine knows the answer to that.

Comment

Tissue repair by cells tends to be a local phenomenon, triggered and maintained by local cells, aided by peripheral cells that travel to the area of injury in the blood. The spine has nothing to do with it; I don't think the nervous system has much to do with it either, other than the fact that denervation of muscle can cause it to atropy (but will not prevent localized injury from scarring down and healing). Cell growth is maintained by the cells themselves; as directed by the DNA within the cell's nucleus.
                              Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

"You're just a jaded cynical mother****er...." Jeffpeg

(more comments in my User Profile)
                              russbo.com

Comment

Working...
                              X