martial arts school abroad(china?)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• martial arts school abroad(china?)

After looking on google and eventually on this site for a few hours, I didn't really get the answers I was looking for, so I decided what the heck, why not just just ask.
    I'm not into martial arts at all, I'm not even a fit person, have had a desk job for 3 years and just very recently quit.
    Want to do something else, experience life, see the world!

Saw an ad for martial arts school on a gap year site and it appeals to me.
    My main goal would be to get fit and learn a valuable skill. Perhaps find what I want to do in life.

So what I'm looking for:
    - Duration: 3-4 months (more or less)
    - Basic training is fine, nothing particular.
    - All-inclusive school, including stay/food/etc.
    - rural quiet nature place (away from it all), not in a densely populated or tourist place
    - preferably not a rip off/very scabby place, I can afford it.
    - Either in China or another asian country (but China seems to be the place to be?)

On googling I basicly find shilin and yantai, but there's some very bad comments on this forums about them.
    Any tips?
    Any other alternatives?

Thanks!

It sounds to me like you're looking for a vacation rather than martial arts training. If you really want to help yourself, you should look at learning something that you will take with you to apply for the rest of your life, not live with for a little while before getting back to reality.

I highly recommend that you treat retreats as just those, and instead focus on finding a good instructor in the local area to where you live. You're far better off taking things slow, and applying a little training to your life every day, than you are trying to immediately immerse yourself in an environment that's foreign to you. I think you will benefit more from treating martial arts as something to be taken slowly, and appreciated every day, than something to jump into like a swimming pool and eventually get out of. Getting fit isn't a quick fix, and any program that treats it like such won't really be giving you the maximum benefit. 30 minutes every day for the rest of your life will do much more than 4 months of intensity. Think about it before you pack your bags.

Comment

Originally posted by Bear

Saw an ad for martial arts school on a gap year site and it appeals to me.

- preferably not a rip off/very scabby place, I can afford it.
      Your two comments are mutually exclusive.

Don't trust what you see on the internet. Especially when it comes to martial arts schools.

And if you have no experience in the martial arts, going to China to "experience it" will probably not be too much fun.

Have you considered just traveling in Asia? Doing a little here and there?
      Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

"You're just a jaded cynical mother****er...." Jeffpeg

(more comments in my User Profile)
      russbo.com

Comment

Where in Holland do you live? I can give you some adresses of shaolin schools in the Netherlands.

I suggest you get some basic training on stretching and stamina first, cause I don`t think your training in China will be what you expect it to be, you know, its hard work.

Best regards,
        Micha
        from Groningen

Comment

Thanks for your answers.

Originally posted by michabusch
          Where in Holland do you live? I can give you some adresses of shaolin schools in the Netherlands.
          I suggest you get some basic training on stretching and stamina first, cause I don`t think your training in China will be what you expect it to be, you know, its hard work.
          Best regards,
          Micha
          from Groningen
          I live in the middle of the Netherlands, but I do not plan to stay here, I am definetly going abroad some place...
          I realise very well that this will be hard work, a complete change of pace. But that's the sort of thing I'm looking for (I think )

Originally posted by Zhao Yun
          It sounds to me like you're looking for a vacation rather than martial arts training. If you really want to help yourself, you should look at learning something that you will take with you to apply for the rest of your life, not live with for a little while before getting back to reality.
          I highly recommend that you treat retreats as just those, and instead focus on finding a good instructor in the local area to where you live. You're far better off taking things slow, and applying a little training to your life every day, than you are trying to immediately immerse yourself in an environment that's foreign to you. I think you will benefit more from treating martial arts as something to be taken slowly, and appreciated every day, than something to jump into like a swimming pool and eventually get out of. Getting fit isn't a quick fix, and any program that treats it like such won't really be giving you the maximum benefit. 30 minutes every day for the rest of your life will do much more than 4 months of intensity. Think about it before you pack your bags.
          In a way I am looking for a vacation, a break.

I will probably not just take martial arts locally at this time.
          I look at it differently then most of you guys (no offense, you seem to take it very seriously - now I suspect your retort would be to say that it IS very serious )

I'm looking at all kinds of crazy ideas at the moment (ie geting a pilots license in south africa, joining the army, joining an expedition to Antartica).
          martial arts training is one option I'm looking at seriously.
          I've never done any martial arts before, although most websites say that's not a
          problem, all levels can join etc. Which I guess means taking it slower than most at the beginning...
          At the moment reality has come to a full stop for me. I can do anything I want, problem is figuring out what I want. Enlisting in a full time acadamy might be just what I need. 3 months seems to be the minimum of a decent training, perhaps I'll stay longer, who knows.

Originally posted by doc
          Your two comments are mutually exclusive.
          Don't trust what you see on the internet. Especially when it comes to martial arts schools.
          And if you have no experience in the martial arts, going to China to "experience it" will probably not be too much fun.
          Have you considered just traveling in Asia? Doing a little here and there?
          I don't really see why they're mutually exclusive... The idea appeals to me. And although I am, I think, not as sceptic as you of the bad bad internet , I do realise one should not just trust blindly. Hey that's why I'm here!

I'm considering all kinds of things, however just randomly travelling/backpacking, seeing the touristy sights and sounds, is not something I'm interested at the moment. I'm a bit of an oddball, not much of a 'partygo-er'.. I want to DO something...
          I get it might not be much fun in the beginning, but I what I understand is that most people find it a great experience afterwards...

Comment

Originally posted by doc
            -snip
            Oh and a little off topic, any way I can turn this annoying background snow off?

EDIT: NEVERMIND! I got it. looked again in the profile, and found it. I shouldn't sign up at 4am
            Last edited by Bear; 02-22-2007, 02:10 PM.

Comment

I just mean to say that you would have a better time in china if you would prepare your body for the stuff that`s awaiting you( 6-8 hours a day/ 6 days a week, which is pretty hard on whatever level you start).
              Whats the fun if you get overtrained after 2 months of struggeling and get sick and everything?

Comment

Originally posted by michabusch
                I just mean to say that you would have a better time in china if you would prepare your body for the stuff that`s awaiting you( 6-8 hours a day/ 6 days a week, which is pretty hard on whatever level you start).
                Whats the fun if you get overtrained after 2 months of struggeling and get sick and everything?
                Wouldn't the teachers make sure that doesn't happen?
                Don't get me wrong, I'm sure you're 100% right, It's always better to prepare
                But *I assume* a complete novice would have a different training than someone with experience...

Comment

Originally posted by Bear
                  Wouldn't the teachers make sure that doesn't happen?
                  If we're talking about China, you're dealing with guys that have second grade educations, who are learning how to be capitalists (ie, interested in making money).

As I've said before, don't believe what you see on these martial arts websites. Period.

You have a lot of reading to do. It's in the site. Start cruising through the Shaolin FAQ. The Site Map for suggested readings. Read some of the Shaolin Journals in those sections. Read up on the Shaolin Politics to get a feel for the place.

My impression is, you'd be better off touring China. Spend two weeks in Shaolin, get your fill of it, move on and experience the wonderful places in China, Vietnam and Thailand. If you have no experience in the martial arts, you're probably going to have an initial bad experience in Dengfeng. It's not the nicest place in the world, and if you really don't know if you have an interest yet, it's the wrong place to start.

Remember, China is a "third world" country, in most places.
                  Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

russbo.com

Comment

Originally posted by doc
                    If we're talking about China, you're dealing with guys that have second grade educations, who are learning how to be capitalists (ie, interested in making money).

As I've said before, don't believe what you see on these martial arts websites. Period.

You have a lot of reading to do. It's in the site. Start cruising through the Shaolin FAQ. The Site Map for suggested readings. Read some of the Shaolin Journals in those sections. Read up on the Shaolin Politics to get a feel for the place.

My impression is, you'd be better off touring China. Spend two weeks in Shaolin, get your fill of it, move on and experience the wonderful places in China, Vietnam and Thailand. If you have no experience in the martial arts, you're probably going to have an initial bad experience in Dengfeng. It's not the nicest place in the world, and if you really don't know if you have an interest yet, it's the wrong place to start.

Remember, China is a "third world" country, in most places.
                    I've been to China and thailand once already when I was younger with my family (I guess I'm a little spoiled in that respect ).
                    At the moment I do not want to be travelling around all the time, settle for a longer period in a place, not be a tourist

Note that I appreciate your comments and will take them into consideration.
                    But to go back to my initial question, what would you suggest would be the best place to go for me?

Comment

Well, I've written about this extensively, as I've mentioned before. Read up, just to get a better idea.

If you want to go, I would suggest a period of two to four weeks. Get a feel for it. If you like it, stay. If you don't (which many people don't), come down to Thailand and really enjoy life, LOL.

As for schools, the only one I recommend these days is Shi De Chengs. For many reasons. I've known the guy for twelve years now, he's a great teacher, though he's not there many times during the year, his school is accustomed to dealing with foreigners, and they won't rape you financially like almost all the other places in Henan will try to do.

Remember. Most Chinese don't like Henan Chinese because they don't trust them in financial terms. Think about that. Carefully.

I can set things up for you; I can kind of guarantee that the training is going to be good quality, and that the living accomodations (hotel) will be acceptable. If you want to stay long term, move into the school for even cheaper prices. Check out the Shaolin Gong Fu Schools forum for more details.

I understand your desire to hunker down and take in the culture. I really do. But, remember, this part of China is not a fun healthy place to live. If you don't like training in the martial arts, you're going to hate being there. Keep your options open; if you don't like it, get out and go somewhere else. Personally, I've found traveling throughout China to be a wonderful experience, though, lately, I prefer to stay in Thailand.

Read the site. Let me know if you want me to help you.

russbo.com

Comment

if you want to, then go. just know that china is a completely different animal. visiting and living there are two very different things, and going to dengfeng to learn MA will not be a vacation. although travelling in china can and often is a wonderful experience, if you plan to stay for a long period of time, without alternatives, you may just find that it's not to your liking. i spent nearly a year and a half in the mainland. most of my time was in qingdao working, but i also went to school for a while in hangzhao and also worked for a chinese company there. i learned a lot, i think, but it wasn't really "fun,"except for the time i spent travelling. you might want to consider taiwan (great place,) or thailand, which doc suggested.
                        ZhongwenMovies.com

Comment

In thaliand, little children will come up to you and challenge you in Connect Four for cash. Crazy country.

Comment

Little children? More like little ladies..., LOL. And yes, cash is at stake, with other amenities...

russbo.com

Comment

I have been following this conversation (lurking) and want to ask Doc if he would give me Shi De Cheng's contact info. I am also thinking of going to China to study martial arts. I am currently thinking of spending some time in Chen village learning Taiji Quan before moving on to study gong fu.

Comment

Working...
                              X