No announcement yet.

Shi Yan Ming????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

here's one of the performances from the austrian temple at rza's concert. not a very well structured performance though. kinda sleeping style.
    http://www.shaolintempel.at/videos/s...tempel&rza.mov

i find it interesting.... though i probably shouldnt start it.

we've all heard the longwinded arguments about the basic drills and forms at usast "not" being traditionalized modern wushu..

but even more interesting is how some of the advanced forms from what i've seen are modernized traditional shaolin. or at least they all have that yanming style alteration to it, the way he made-over yiduan changquan or wubuquan for example. and you know he likes modern wushu.

just an observation of mine.

peace!

Comment

I took a look at both of the clips and I gotta say,,,, I'm not so impressed ! I had always thought Yanming was better than that. Maybe he is, by himself, but his teaching must not be phenominal. The two person routines with that girl were just sub-par, and and the girl, by herself, wasn't all that impressive at all. Not to mention any of the choreographing. It was all super simple. I'm not trying to sound like a hater, just wasn't as impressed as I thought I would be.

If you don't know a thing about wushu then maybe it would look great, But,,,,,

If you hop on Youtube and check out any of the Chinese Shaolin performances, or see them for yourself, you can compare and see the difference easily. Speed, skill, ability of complex movements and of course the choreographing is worlds apart.

Anyway. He is pretty damn ripped up for a Chinese guy though ! I"ll give him that. He must have one hell of a diet plan !
      "Winners turn to losers, losers are forgotten..." - A Tribe Called Quest

Comment

Oh yeah thats the video... I forgot how high her stances and weak her kicks were... I remember she had bad knees though... but thats also a factor of improper training at that place.. doing a tornado kick and having all your weight fall onto one knee i swear someone is gonna blow their knee out bad one day... Also the way drills are done more than they should be in this tense mode.. puts alot of strain on the joints and does more harm than good..

Yeah theres another thing mentioned... all the talk of "authentic" shaolin kung fu ebing taught.. you dont even get to the basic shaolin forms until level 2 and those are considered to be advanced forms by the temple folk... you will only learn 3 basic forms there and be doing them for the rest of your time there... any luck you might pick up 1 or 2 more at a seminar you pay $100-$200 for.... I was uber fortunate because i was on demo team we learned a few other sets not taught to everyone else.. guess it made my time there slightly more tolerable...

So, for most of the time your there all you are learning are modified wushu sets.. the first two sets are indeed modified wubu quan and yiduan changquan and mentioned... then you learn what they call erluquan, which in itself makes little sense... this is nother modified changquan set... though yan mings version takes out all the jumps... no tornado no east west kick.. basically kills the flair... I never understodd why he even did that... i mean if new students can do that stuff pick a different form there must be 50,000 of them.... he himself claims to know like 200 why bother changing one if you know a suitable replacement...

Also... I was told dozens of time the reason he did that was because no one could do xiao hong quan correctly and wanted to train their stamina and basics before learning REAL shaolin forms... except xiao hong quan IS te basic shaolin form... its easy as crap... 90% gongbu and dingbu.... when I finally got to this form i thought to myself this is so easy why didnt we start learning this??
        The essential point in science it not a complicated mathematical formalism or a ritualized experimentation. Rather the heart of science is a kind of shrewd honesty the springs from really wanting to know what the hell is going on!

Comment

Originally posted by LFJ

but even more interesting is how some of the advanced forms from what i've seen are modernized traditional shaolin. or at least they all have that yanming style alteration to it, the way he made-over yiduan changquan or wubuquan for example. and you know he likes modern wushu.

just an observation of mine.

peace!
          Iron Cross is right all the level 1 forms are simple Wushu forms that Yan Ming altered. Not really sure why he did that. From what I understand many years ago Yan Ming hired other masters to teach at USAST, one being a wushu coach. This coach pretty much taught everything while Yan Ming sat behind his desk and "ran the business" (drinking special water, hitting it with the ladies, interpret however you want). So all the wushu elements are from what I believe residue of the previous coach who actually knew things.

Yes it is sad that all the forms that are Shaolin traditional forms are taught in the advanced class. Xiao Hong and Da Hong are both forms beginning elementary children do in China which makes no sense why people need to wait so long. 65% of the students who actually finish the forms up to the basic Shaolin forms fail the $50 dollar test and have to do the basic wushu forms for another 6 months till the next test. Some students fail 2 or 3 times. Imagine waiting 2 years to learn one shaolin form and paying $200 dollars for nothing.

My belief why Yan Ming seems to continually post-pone learning new forms is either one he truly believes, "you are not ready" or he doesn't have enough of a curriculum and most people can finish learning all he can teach in 2 years. I knew a few people who have been there for 7 years and just recently touched the staff. And I had other friends who had been there for 3 years and never learnt a single authentic Shaolin form. He ended up quiting and moving to learn real wushu.

Also to note, Yan Ming always does the same stuff in every video or demo. You always see him using the Pudao, doing the one chen taicihi form, doing the basic wushu forms, or just kick and punching really fast. It is my belief that Yan Ming has forgotten a lot of the forms and has only retained a few essential ones for him to run his school. There are so many weapons in the temple that no one can use and I highly doubt Yan Ming can use them either. If you go to a MA school and they have weapons on the walls that no one can use, definitely think twice about signing up.

Comment

wow, so many shaolin masters post here......
            http://americanshaolinkungfu.org/3.html

Comment

Yes sir! We're all here!

Comment

Tell me, you who know my colegue Yan ming. Does he sometimes offer this special water to some of the female students?

Comment

Originally posted by SongshanMonk
                  wow, so many shaolin masters post here......
                  Is that irony comming from someone who has a picture of David Carradine acting like a Shaolin monk as his avatar.

Comment

What do you think?
                    http://americanshaolinkungfu.org/3.html

Comment

Originally posted by azz
                      God dam it!!!!, are there any good kung fu schools out there anymore? It just seems that all the good teachers have become corrupt. Where have all those masters ive seen in the old kung fu movies gone

When I was in Wudang one teacher told me there is a mountain close to Taishan (Shandong province) where there are many old gongfu masters, a place not widely known.

Who knows..

Comment

I had heard, durring the prosecution of Martial Artists in the Cultural Revolution and the entire Mao era many teachers fled to Taiwan and Korea. Infact my old grandmasters grandmaster was one of these who fled to Korea. (my old grandmaster is Korean)

Never have I heard about any of these masters residing in Shandong. You've perked my interest with this info, being that I live about three hours from Taishan !!!!!
                        Interesting. I'll have to start asking around...

Comment

Hey plaese do I'm just as interested as you! Get back when you find something

Comment

I still havent got an answer to my question. Does Yan ming some times offer this very special water to some of his female students?

Comment

I didnt know you asked that question... I can answer it... He has two kids now with a former student of his.. they have been together for a while now but started to see each other while it was still a student teacher relationship.. I've also been told he had a wife and 2 kids back in china and left them behind when he came here..

I've heard numerous first hand accounts from women who have said he acted rather inappropriately towards them.. One girl told me she felt uncomfortable there because when she went to class yan ming would always hug her and kiss her on the cheek.. I was told by another during one of his druken stoopers he attempted to put the moves on her... I heard a very similar event involving another girl... I have personally see rather odd behavior between him and female students and non students... I can recall one night after friday class a littel too much drinky drink led to massages and giggling... Though I left after that so as to what happened after I left I have no idea... Could be he sat up and said "I am a monk this is wrong" then recited the heart sutra 30 times before going home... who knows...

But again I'll mention everything I jsut said isnt some hand me down story from a friend of a friends roommate... These are things I've seen myself or been told of later by the people involved...

Hope that answers your question...
                              The essential point in science it not a complicated mathematical formalism or a ritualized experimentation. Rather the heart of science is a kind of shrewd honesty the springs from really wanting to know what the hell is going on!

Comment

Thank you Iron cross it does answer my question. Hm he sounds a lot like me hahaha one thing I find very interesting. My first chinese master here in sweden did not claim to be a monk but claimed to know shaolin gong fu and Bagua and xinyi and qi gong and almost anything you can think of. He acts the exact same way that you discribe Yan ming. One could think they're a team or something. This guy has been scamming people for money the same way with the expensive uniforms, stealing money they make from performances etc and is now being sued for around a 170000 in dollars. Teaches the same basic wushu form forever like he doeesnt know anything else. Nobody has ever seen his xinyi. His bagua was just a dance nothing more. he too hits on female students and often looked jelous when girls got close to anyone of us instead. If i wright all of my experiences from there with him you'll think i'm just copying your story I'm telling you. He too has kids with an ex student who now moved all the way to the cold north to get away from him and has got a restraining order forbidding him to visit them. The funny thing is that he too has students protecting him no matter what he does thay refuse to believe. Blind religious followers defending everything he does. Hell he got thrown out of his appartment and now lives with a female student which of course he is now boning. I don't have a problem with this but it's just so strange that people exhibit the same type of mentality around their chinese gods. When many of us complain they sound like Arhat when they make up advanced excuses for his behaviour. What I'm saying is i know several Arhats, songshanmonks and chickens here in sweden. We who used to train there saw a lot of shit but still many of us there turned a blind eye and continue to follow this god of theirs- it is truly incredible a sect. Many other gong fu schools i have visited also exhibit the same type of sect like mentality and behaviour. Not all but a lot of them. I know another master also a chinese who teaches xinyi bagua, tai chi and modern wushu he shocked me with his open and well mannered approach. Teaches anything you want to learn that he has to offer. Does not offer to teach anything he doesn't know. So there are good masters out there just like you say. people should stay away from the mind bending ones that don't even teach them good gong fu or wushu

Comment

Working...
                                X