Buddhism in practice, in China & on Russbo & BTL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Buddhism in practice, in China & on Russbo & BTL

Aiya... lots of stuff about what is Buddhism, but not so much discussion about it in practise.

Two developments in the last day:

The 9 year old little girl that lives in the same house as me, came to me last night telling me that Kinky our white kitten has turned up.

I find this rather hard to believe, because the cat has been missing for over 10 months, and its either not with us anymore or found another home. But she assures me that it's there, a white cat with white eyes and a kinky tail. Anyway I get her to take me to see the cat. So we walk 30 yards up the compound road, and sure enough lying in the road is a white cat that could be Kinky, only Kinky-mao is surely bigger by now as this cat is juvenile size like 13-14 inches head & body. Anyway, its not moving and other than managing to raise its head and make one hiss at me, but no paws or anything (I mean this is very strange for a cat)... The guys working in the house explain that its been in the house, it hasn't been fed and that it walked out the entrance and collapsed. There was food next to the cat, they were obviously trying to get it to eat.

I went back and got a bag, and a towel and some rubber gloves and went and collected the cat... it was having seizures. Back at the house it raised its head and drank a little water, but refused cat food and then again collapsed and went into a more major fit. I picked up the bag, jumped the queue in the vets and was told that the cat's temperature was 32c and it was severely dehydrated and losing fluids, fitting, pupils dilated and not responding therefore they believe it had organic phospate poisoning / rat poisoning. They gave it antidote, and fixed it up on an IV, all this time it continued to fit. I went back 2-3 hours later and it was as if dancing, all 4 paws moving.

This morning they had it on, I think, just strait IV fluids, and told me that it had eaten a little cat food this morning. So I'm not counting my chickens but I figure that well there's a chance its gonna pull through.

But then I have to step back and look at this. I mean, its interesting that its another white cat with white eyes. It does have a small kink in its tail, but not the two much larger kinks that Kinky had, and I think its female... so she's Kinka.

Its like, there are plenty of other cats around, but its not like half of them are white... in fact I've never seen another white cat other than these two here... although I realise that there must be others around. This cat is probably related. Only... well its quite a coincidence that another almost identical white cat should come into my life.

Then I also question, why I did not just leave it to die... and I suppose that is where the Buddhism comes in. In that I could not pass by and not try to relieve the suffering of this tiny creature, that I now suspect is Kinky-mao reincarnated. I mean its a right pain in the butt. I'm not out here long term now. We have a new baby in the house, the cat is in a state (its clearly been feral for a couple of weeks at least) and well, I'm now in the conundrum of what to do with it, should it survive... it costs a fortune bringing them back to the UK.

The fact that I think its a reincarnation and its clearly come back because its here to teach me a lesson, well I'm taking it as a sign that there is something in the reincarnation stuff after all.

Which brings me back to the other development, which is Doc eternally damning our most outspoken "Buddhist" BTL. And its occured to me that that cycle of events is reincarnation in the World of Russbo.

Additionally, I'm struggling with psychic reincarnation on a lot of levels at the moment.

Amtioufu

Chicken

Forum User Chicken,

A rather important reference you have made

Buddhism<=>Enlightenment<=>Evolution

Void=>Buddhism<=>Evolution=>Void

Comment

Just for the record, BTL is eternally damned not for being buddhist, but for repeatedly harrassing members of the community with bulk text messages, cell phone callls, and incoherent letters.

She also has an interesting habit of attacking the credibility and character of any strong female persona in the forums, which currently happens to be you Chicken. I watched as she did the same thing to a lovely young woman who teaches plumflower praying mantis gongfu, essentially driving that woman out of this community.

Personally i think it's an overcompensating mechanism, a drive seeking to prove that she is the only alpha female in any community which she chooses to engage in.

If she actually lived and spoke via the eightfold path, she would not be in hell.
      Show me a man who has forgotten words, so that I can have a word with him.

Comment

Daodejing, yup... I understand what is going on with BTL... I'm more familiar with these types of behaviours than I would like to be.

Doc has been very busy, and Onesp1ng has obviously been getting on with his life, BTL meanwhile appears to not have any other relationships in her life, other than the interaction she gets on Russbo. The problem then is that being able to post on the board or not becomes everything to her, and when she's banned, she's worked out that if she eventually pushes Doc and Onesp1ng's buttons long enough, eventually they relent and let her back on.

As for her attacking other females, yes, I couldn't agree with you more. Its sad, in that it seems that females have failed her, therefore she only sees them as competition. I have some time for her, underneath the disasterous interpersonal behaviour she is an intelligent and interesting woman.

I do agree with you on the 8-fold path bit, she bullies so much to get people to accept her projections and in deed hell have no fury like her if you scorn her. There is evidently great duplicity in her in that on the one hand she can cite buddhist references and concepts, and then fail to live them.

I think she sees all other women a threat out of her own insecurity (scared of being abandoned)... and its not until we stop subjecting her to reincarnation that she will work it out.

I have no time for being the alpha female, or for alpha females... I wish other women would come back to Russbo, it would be a healthier place. You can mitigate BTL, well at least I think I can. She's made enough associations of me to her little sister, who is clearly her original Narcissistic Injury, playing that dynamic through again on the board, might help her work it out, and get to a healthier place. But then this is BTL so I'm not holding my breath!

In the meanwhile the cat is now back in my apartment... I found out in the interim that it had 2 kittens that nobody could find (must have perished)... it is ferocious... evidently feral for a while... between BTL and Kinka I'm not sure which is the bigger challenge. She's really in a poorly way, drinking profusely (so I think her kidneys have been affected) and walking around as if she's drunk (so its seriously taken out her motor-control).

Anyway, trials and tribulations.

Thanks Daodejing

Chicken

Comment

Its funny and simulaneously sad how many times ive seen friends, aquaintences, or patients experience reincarnation and unprocessed karma even within one lifetime.

The standard model is that someone experiences a traumatic event (often abuse as a child) and then never learns from it, never transcends the suffering of the trauma. As a result, throughout adulthood that person seeks to recreate the events of the trauma (i think, so that they can have the chance to learn, and change. to transcend the suffering and heal those physcological scars).

Sadly though, even with this unconscious drive to recreate the traumatic events to learn from them, it is often the case that the person enacts and reacts to these events the same way they did it the first time. Thus perpetuating their cycle of suffering.

The first step in this is awareness. Understanding that you are recreating the trauma, and why you are doing it. Once a patient has realized what they are doing, and has the will to change it, they can then explore other methods of resolving the traumatic situation. This is often a painful thing for people to confront, and many will never make it this far, simply stifled by their own fears.

But it is essential to healing. We dont recreate old traumatic patterns so that we can keep doing the same thing and enforcing the injury over and over. We do it to give ourselves a chance to change. To resolve that karma. To end the suffering.

This is part of the essence of buddhism I beleive. This is what has attracted me so much more deeply to this faith as I delve deeper into medicine. I remember hearing it said that guatam buddha is the patron saint of doctors, for he seeks to help them deliver their patients from suffering.

Regardless I find myself invoking siddartha guatama more than any other saint or spirit in my practice. I invoke his spirit to seal the room for the patient when complete an acupuncture treatment, and I invoke him as the solidification of my intent for any treatment. Oddly enough, I've always considered myself to be a daoist. As i get older, and let go of my old distinctions, the lines between dao and ch'an fade away.

Das my two cents.
          Show me a man who has forgotten words, so that I can have a word with him.

Comment

Tkx for you two cents Dao DJ. I have to say I concur with you about the lines of distinction fading... I thought I only got the dao until relatively recently. Still I think my enlightenment to buddhism has taken a while longer than yours!

Kind regards

Chicken

Comment

Well Chicken to save one's life is a good task but what if it drives to the suffering of other sentient beings? Namely the food you feed him on is made from factory farm animals that might suffer a lot in their life and slaughter. I suggest you feed your cat on a vegan base and visit www.petatv.com to see about the suffering of animals in factory farm.

Comment

Originally posted by liutangsanzang View Post
                Well Chicken to save one's life is a good task but what if it drives to the suffering of other sentient beings? Namely the food you feed him on is made from factory farm animals that might suffer a lot in their life and slaughter. I suggest you feed your cat on a vegan base and visit www.petatv.com to see about the suffering of animals in factory farm.
                it will be a real celebration when your carcass goes to feed Kirttimukha. Have compassion brother, and make it sooner rather than later. Hundreds of millions are all starving!
                "Arhat, I am your father..."
                -the Dark Lord Cod

Comment

Originally posted by arhat View Post
                  it will be a real celebration when your carcass goes to feed Kirttimukha. Have compassion brother, and make it sooner rather than later. Hundreds of millions are all starving!
                  Awesome.

"For some reason I'm in a good mood today. I haven't left the house yet, though. "

"fa hui, you make buddhism sexy." -Zachsan

"Friends don't let friends do Taekwondo." -Nancy Reagan

Comment

Kirttimukha? U r being too esoteric for me Arhat.

But if he is the Pinochet style i am not sure i want to give him my body. Many people i surely dont want them to eat me .

And about starvation, some wonders if we are not going on a worldwide food crisis with rising prices. Vegetarianism being space and energy saving could be an answer though.

Comment

But if he is the Pinochet style i am not sure i want to give him my body. Many people i surely dont want them to eat me .

And about starvation, some wonders if we are not going on a worldwide food crisis with rising prices. Vegetarianism being space and energy saving could be an answer though.
                      Regardless of the saving money-point, you just can't force it down their throats. People will do what they want to do, and when they want to do it. Using Peta as support for vegan and non-violent lifestyle is as LFJ says, hypocritical.

I remember one story that really pissed me off about these animal activists. Apparently a research lab, I forgot where in the U.S., had discovered that one of it's rats had developed a special immunity to carcinogens (that which leads to cancer), and were making studies off of it. However, some activists decided it was time to free the animals and that rat was lost for good.

I heard the story word of mouth, so I don't have many details about it, but when it's people like that who ruin things that may help the people I know and care about overcome things like cancer, it upsets me. Why should my loved ones die because people like that feel like they need to "save" animals?
                      "For some reason I'm in a good mood today. I haven't left the house yet, though. "

"fa hui, you make buddhism sexy." -Zachsan

"Friends don't let friends do Taekwondo." -Nancy Reagan

Comment

That's alright. considering LFJ's lifestyle, I find his use of his interperatations of buddhism and dharma as a reason for alot of stuff , including vegetarianism, equally hypocritical.

nevermind just pick and choose the bits you want to live by.

I heard on the news last night that australia is apparently following america into this new recession. do you ppl not understand how survival parameters are central to buddha dharma??
                        I think animals need to be pooped into our soil for the homeostatic balance to be maintained and corrected anyway. plain and simple science, so, I really have to believe that anyone in extremist radical opposition, just doesn't understand the simple dynamic. therefore, they speak shit and rant and rave. we get that. when foliage booms, animals respond likewise because there's food. when there's too many animals pooping, it grows too much foliage and we end up in noahs boat. some of you might like to try a less emotive and more clinical reasoning on occassion perhaps?

Blooming tianshi lotus.
                        Last edited by blooming tianshi lotus; 05-01-2008, 11:18 PM.

Comment

it's nothing esoteric, it's the way. take heart it doesn't require your understanding anyway as you don't have any choice, you're already consecrated to him since birth. the way you have been carrying on about meat eating and compassion i just thought you would have the most compassion out of all of us and decide to feed your meat sooner rather than later to all the starving...
                          "Arhat, I am your father..."
                          -the Dark Lord Cod

Comment

Originally posted by blooming tianshi lotus View Post
                            considering LFJ's lifestyle,
                            seriously, how the f#$& do you know anything about my lifestyle?

Comment

Working...
                            X