Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Doc Journal: March 2007 (Discovery Channel scout trip)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm not calling him a saint, but he's not pure evil either. It has to be difficult to be the Abott of the most well know Buddhist temple in the world. He's expected to be an upright Buddhist, but at the same time all the not so Buddhist politics, such as a suicide, fall on his shoulders and he's forced to make decisions that some may not like or view as a proper Buddhist decision.

Again. I know he might have some rather un-Buddhist agendas, but he has done some good for the temple as well. He is the one behind turning Shaolin back to a peaceful and very beautiful place....

Not that I wouldn't mind seeing him replaced by someone who's intentions are to return Chan to Shaolin. Though, at this point, that's just a fairy tale......
    "Winners turn to losers, losers are forgotten..." - A Tribe Called Quest

Comment

Only China, and the Chinese don't work like that.

Guolin was always cited as Yongxin's successor, a position he couldn't have gotten into without Yongxin's support. So Yongxin's decision to covet Guolin as his successor comes into question... therefore so does Yongxin.

You know I don't think that we should look at his position as any different to a CEO of one of China's major corporations. Those CEOs public & private have only a few things to do, as far as the CCP is concerned, carry out the policy that the CCP has outlined for them, ensure growth and keep everything running smoothly on their watch. If they fail in any of these things, the CCP just steps away from supporting the company, until the company comes back to them with a replacement CEO to approve.

Problem here is something just terrible has happened on Yongxin's watch, at possibly the worst time. And it happened in America!!! The USA I think is China's biggest trading partner, if not the biggest trading partner of the western nations. This flags up all the issues in Chinese culture of work place abuse and Human trafficing. I saw the docufilm about the Morecome Bay Cockle Pickers on the plane on the way out. I thought it was extremely accurate as far as reflective of how things work socially within the Chinese international at this level, and I think you find that this is the situation that most of the monks find themselves once the get to the west, if they have been brought over by another master.

Why else is Yongxin suddenly taking such a vested interest in what the West wants to say about the Shaolin. You think it doesn't matter?

Think again.

Chicken

Comment

How is going on, my friend? enjoy everyday there? it's said you got a new girlfriend again?

i called master deqian, he explain the name of the book, but i didn't understand, i will call him again to make sure.

for the shooting, finished perfect! you really did a good job! wothout you they can carry out nothing! so in think they need give you some special appriciation, at least reinburse all you expense happened in China!

and yesterday, i went to see the weapon store, there are some new swords, but it's a little pity, not allow me to take photo in case of copy!

stay well, keep in touch

Comment

Apparently the Discovery Channel team was happy with what we put together for them:

Dear Rich,

First off – thank you so much for all of your help and advice regarding Shaolin kungfu!

I sincerely hope this email finds you well and I’m guessing, just back from a lovely massage?

I am back in the land of Starbucks and scrambled eggs… our shoot was very successful and the footage we have is beautiful and I think our hosts might have learned a thing or two… What ended up besting Jimmy, who was with Shi DeYang – was the stick kata he had to learn. Jimmy is not the most graceful man…

Shi DeCheng was a pleasure and a delight to work with and we have some sweet footage of him with our host Doug at a nearby pool table area going over his stick kata. The demonstration that both Shi DeCheng and Shi DeYang put on were incredible.

There were hardly any problems – and the little ones we did have were quickly resolved. It was a good shoot.

So now we’re all done and in post and I am off to the next country which, besides my wanting to thank you and update you on our little China shoot – I wanted to pick your brain regarding muay thai and Thailand which, coincidentally – is the show I find myself in pre-production on…

So– if you have a moment or two – I would love to hear your thoughts on muay thai in Thailand…and if you can think of any masters/schools I should research please let me know.

I’m also attaching a pic from our opening day – hope you like it.

Warmest regards,

xxxx
          It apparently went so well, that they changed their next documentary shoot to be in Thailand...
          Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

"You're just a jaded cynical mother****er...." Jeffpeg

(more comments in my User Profile)
          russbo.com

Comment

You must be doing something right !!! Maybe you should hang up the Doctor racket and pursue a new field,,, "Production Manager".... eh ! eh !

Comment

Great to hear from your adventures...always nice. You indeed are making a difference, not only in China and the US, but even here in Puerto Rico. Thank you for your words, remember you have a brother and a very good friend...
              If you want, we can do a Doc-umentary here too...
              Keep it up, Chumbo!
              No Chumbas, por favor!

Comment

and as always, respect to the Chumbas!!!!
                ZhongwenMovies.com

Comment

True to that, Onesp1ng!!!
                  Anyways, culonas deserve even MORE respect!!!!
                  No Chumbas, por favor!

Comment

Funny how Spanish women come in many voluptuous shapes and sizes and the language supports them with the many adj. "Jevas, Chumbas, Culonas". Where as China has very few voluptous women at all and a language with possibly no adj. at all specific to the women.

Funny how that works.

Sorry for taking this thread further off track.

Big Up to the Culonas round the world !!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Interesting concept.

The prevalence, size and shape of breasts in a society dictates the structure of that society's language.

The things we learn every day on russbo.com.
                      Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

russbo.com

Comment

Getting through the gate

As i understand it from a French language forum post of people who work with Shi YanLu (sorry can't find it now). In order to use the title Shaolin monk you have to pay a due to the temple. I belive Shi De Cheng nolonger pays. When i asked him why he left the temple he said he wanted his freedom, not to have to do what YongXin told him anymore.
                        Hence the not getting through the gate, and as mentioned before he's too much of a figure within the community to slip by unnoticed.
                        Also as i understand it from DeCheng it is someone else who really has it in for DeCheng and tells tales to YongXin. DeCheng said YongXin is too clever to be taken in by tale telling, and said to DeCheng he hopes they will work together again in the future.
                        I suspect YongXin knows that DeCheng could actually be quite influential if he wanted to be.
                        But there is no doubt that all of them lead a merry dance around each other in a delicate game of politics.
                        I have to say that i did find the argument that demanding registration payment was helping to protect the Shaolin heritage from charletans was a bit of a shot in the foot. A Chan Buddhist abbot asking for payment in order to legitimise a monk? I think he missed the first lesson on Chan Buddhism. But he does live in difficult times.

Comment

Originally posted by sarah
                          I have to say that i did find the argument that demanding registration payment was helping to protect the Shaolin heritage from charletans was a bit of a shot in the foot.
                          Excellent points. A "merry dance". I couldn't have put it any better. But, remember, and I've mentioned this before in a previous post from a few years ago, most people in the Dengfeng area starting mentioning publicly that they were "Yongxin's disciples" in their advertising. I had seen this, back then, as a ploy to stay in business, so to speak. (It was in one of my older Shaolin Journals)

Decheng did not go that route.

russbo.com

Comment

Working...
                          X