Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shaolin Monks deal with Paparazzi

http://www.zonaeuropa.com/20061203_1.htm

Seems these guys have extremely vested interests in staying out of the limelight... now I wonder why that might be?

Chicken

WOOOOOWWWWWWW !!!!!!!

What ever happened to the vow's to not harm another living creature ?

I like in one of those pic's (6th) the camera man is already on the ground and still taking pic's of the monks beating him. Not that's commitment to his job.

Also in the 7th and 8th pics down there's a police man in the crowd just watching ! He's got a white hat and large white suspenders, the Chinese police uniform. But you can only see him from the back.

The cops here in my town do the same thing for traffic violations, just sit back and watch....

It's one of the many problems in China that needs to change for the country to really move up in the world. Cops need to do their job. That and monks need to not beat people in the streets !

Good one Chicken ! In fact, I gotta take a second look. That's crazy...
    "Winners turn to losers, losers are forgotten..." - A Tribe Called Quest

Comment

Oh, yes, the men were "monks" who had set up (without any permits) at the pedestrian mall to do martial arts performances as well as sell medicine.
      I see in China, they have doubts too.

The self destructive behavior that these guys seem to exhibit doesn't do anyone any good. Including Yongxin. Kind of makes you understand why he tries to do what he tries to do sometimes.
      Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

"You're just a jaded cynical mother****er...." Jeffpeg

(more comments in my User Profile)
      russbo.com

Comment

I suspect its more straight forward than that. I think pictures of these guys showing up in the hands of the CCP party is going to lead to trouble with Yongxin... they will probaby fall out of favour with him.

That's given that they are Shaolin... I mean looking at these pictures there's nothing about the way that they are engaging with these photographers that leads me to conclude that they've had any wushu training whatsoever. Which would imply that there would be even more reason that these "monks" didn't want their pictures taken in this contentious situation.

What I like about the pictures, is that there is a little dude in orange just standing back, as if he's chomping at the bit to put his kungfu into practise.

It looks to me that these might be organ grinding monks, who have worked out that if you engage a couple of performing Shaolin monkeys, you do better business. Therein its easy to understand why they didn't want their pictures taken.

Chicken

Comment

i thought i noticed a couple guys trying to hold back one of their brothers, but on second glance they were just trying to get their whacks in too.

this is even more negative light on shaolin and traditional wushu. even if they arent from shaolin at all. its the image.

imagine how difficult it is to be a shaolin monk these days.

Comment

I think these struggles have been going on for millenia though... why else do you think that all monks carry staffs? They didn't do it purely for decorative reasons.

They have surely always been struggling to find the best spot to receive alms...and have always sold medicine to derive income. If they have trully grown up in monastries, well they probably would have a very poor understanding how the present day works with regard to requiring permits, and probably were just trying to resolve the matter when all of a sudden a paparazzi stuck a camera in their faces.

I mean... the infringement was in photographing them without their consent. After it was clear that the monks didn't want to be photographed, well, you would expect someone to respect that.... the fact that they didn't clearly cause these scenes, and the photographers had it coming to them. Bear in mind that if an arguement was going on, everyone was losing face. You try photographing a shamed chinese... any shamed chinese and see what happens.

So the only thing that is different is that today we have cameras to record these events, and people gauche enough to not use them with respect, which at least gives us the opportunity to observe a facet of monk life that has probably been going on within most of China, and probably the whole of Asia for the last few millenia.

Chicken

Comment

C'mon, do you actually believe that.

Are you saying just because someone tries to to take pictures without consent that they desirve to get beat ? And with sticks non the less....

I mean, I can understand someone pushing and shoving a bit, but the poor man was still getting kicked while on the ground in one of the pics. It didn't appear like he was trying very hard to fight back either being that he was still holding his camera in his hands.

Are you really supporting the monks actions ? I mean, Shaolin or not, their supposed to be MONKS !
              "Winners turn to losers, losers are forgotten..." - A Tribe Called Quest

Comment

hahahahahaaaa Yeah they're supposed to be monks! You find yourself saying that a lot nowadays. hahahahaa They're supposed to be MONKS!
                we are all monks! They do what I would do if someone stuck their camera in my face
                -Go shaolin brothers!
                /Secret qi gong master of stockholm shaolin temple and raving lunatic shi yan-LU

Comment

And some people say shaolin isn't for fighting. They looked like they handled themselves pretty well.

I bet after they all went to the whore house to celebrate.

What a sophisticated and intriging culture.

I am a fan!

Amitabha

Comment

In America, from a legal standpoint, if you are visible in a public place, anyone can take your picture, electronically or otherwise, without your permission.

They cannot use it for commercial purposes (to make money), without your consent.

I do not know if China has any laws such as these, but I do know that the Chinese sometimes do not like their pictures taken (think historically of the CR and stuff), and, even if there were laws that allowed public picture taking, most Chinese would be ignorant enough not to understand them.
                    Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

russbo.com

Comment

Imagine if you are photographed wrong doing in China and that picture gets into the CCP hands.... i.e. in a police state? The CCP don't think anything of torturing Christians and their nearest and dearests, just for being practising Christians. If that was a possible outcome of this situation that you found yourself in, are you telling me that you would let them click away, even when you had made it very clear that you did not want your picture taken?

So that as well, but I think you will find that just the concept of face, and being shamed in public and then being photographed in that state, will probably cause the majority of chinese people to attempt to forcibly regain control of the situation, as these monks appear to have done.

Chicken

Comment

Yes, I understand the mentality here. But, ironically, said mentality got them photographed doing worse...

russbo.com

Comment

We have a site for sports games. You must be interested. Paano Maglaro ng iRich Bingo in Philippines

Comment

Working...
                          X