Topic Fifteen: The veracity of the present day Shaolin "monks"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Topic Fifteen: The veracity of the present day Shaolin "monks"

It's a concept which has erupted in many venues in the past. We've been exposed to individuals that have truly taken vows, and who have lived their lives consistent with our current commonly accepted views as to what a "monk" should be. We've also seen outright frauds continue to tout themselves as "monks", to the point of watching cult followings erupt around them.

And, everything in between.

I'll let the rest of the gang get started on this one:

Hello!

I just wanted to email to say that so far, the photos of Shaolin in Honan, are the best I've seen so far. I truly enjoyed them!

I hope you don't mind, but I would really like to ask just a couple of questions. I am quite curious about the current state of the Honan Temple.

I read your bio and read that you have visited that particular temple quite a lot. I was taught in America by a Shaolin who said his master had left (escaped) the temple in Fukien, because it had been burned out. As a student, I never knew just how many people had "Been trained by Shaolin who fled the temple" or by people...trained by people ...trained by people who fled the temple. With the internet, it appears there must have been millions of monks who fled the temple (wink).

My question goes along with this idea that people outside of China have, that the Honan temple only teaches modern kungfu but not "Actual Shaolin" kungfu. I really haven't any opinions of my own about this, but I wonder what YOUR response is to this? You seem to like the place fine...16 or 17 visits, and I can't imagine you'd go so often if it wasn't worth while. Nearly all modern martial arts say their art is "Shaolin in origin" and somehow the word Shaolin has become a household name to mean kungfu. Yet, many people say that there is nothing Shaolin about Honan today. The word "Real" is relative, but in your experience do you feel these are real monks doing kungfu for a spiritual reason or simply very talented martial artists? I ask this also because we often read about "Shaolin Monk kungfu shows" but never hear about lectures of Shaolin monks teaching how to find truth within.

This brings me to my more important question. I was always taught that the martial side was just a tool to use to master the mind and body (not for K-1) and that the spiritual aspect of Shaolin was the "Point". In your visits have you found this to be the case? Are you taught Buddhism there also or just martial arts?

I hope you don't mind these questions. In general, I don't email to ask about other people's experiences, but since you have visited one particular place I am interested in, I would like to get your input before making a trip there myself. I never had much reason to think the place was more than a tourist spot, but if you were simply a tourist there, you wouldn't be spending so much money and time to fly to China!

Thanks very much for the great photos, I hope to read your reply.

Sincerely,
    xxx xxxxx
    Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

"You're just a jaded cynical mother****er...." Jeffpeg

(more comments in my User Profile)
    russbo.com

With the internet, it appears there must have been millions of monks who fled the temple (wink).

Best line in the e-mail

Comment

Sure seems like any chinese martial arts teacher these days claims to either be a shaolin monk or in the lineage of one. Of course these claims are impossible to prove because all the records were burned in 1928.. how convient... I say judge someone on their actions and character not on whatever title they take for themselves...
      The essential point in science it not a complicated mathematical formalism or a ritualized experimentation. Rather the heart of science is a kind of shrewd honesty the springs from really wanting to know what the hell is going on!

Comment

Id imagine lying through their teeth about a title is an action that compromises their character.

Comment

I would tend to agree with my man dogchow.... met him once long time back when he visited USAST.. hes got more character than SYM thats for sure..
          The essential point in science it not a complicated mathematical formalism or a ritualized experimentation. Rather the heart of science is a kind of shrewd honesty the springs from really wanting to know what the hell is going on!

Comment

Working...
          X