Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What martial art is most practical in a fight?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

sounds mostly like preventative health care as opposed to neurosurgery or something more applicable when shit really goes down, what would TCM do with a gun shot wound or how would it replace a kidney?

I'm not knocking you personally but, "nutrition" and "exercise" and "medical massage" don't sound exclusive to TCM at all nor do they really support an argument for its effectiveness.

as for the comment about most TCM practitioners being doctors that may be that may not be, I would have to see some evidence to support that and a good reason for it as well, either way I cant imagine that in many states, California sure I could see that
    "did you ask me to consider dick with you??" blooming tianshi lotus

Comment

Originally posted by daodejing View Post
      I think folks who bash it excessively are often forgetting or entirely ignorant of the fact that most people practicing TCM in Chinese hospitals were MD's first and then later specialized in TCM.
      Just as an aside for information sake (and a little comic relief), it should be known that during the 67-76 Cultural revolution, most physicians were sent from the cities to work in the farming fields. And, bizarrely, some farmers who went to the cities ended up "practicing medicine" in hospitals. These guys were still working in various hospitals throughout China back when I was going there, which, in a way, explains some of the nonsense that I saw in the Dengfeng hospital. I think that things are changing now, as China's medical system becomes more westernized (and I was impressed with the diagnostic care offered to one russboian a few years ago who came down with a devastating illness while training at DeChengs, story to be written later). But there still are guys out there in China practicing medicine who never went to medical school.

Just a thought to keep in mind. You're not dealing with the west here, where certification processes and the like go back a hundred years and more.

Dao's right, oriental medicine is more let's say "generalized", dealing with the whole body's ecosystem (a good way to say it), western medicine is more specific to certain areas and certain processes. But don't think that eastern medicine doesn't have specific effects; I took some of this stuff for the spastic bronchitis / asthma I had back in 2004, the beta adrenergic effects of the ephedra that was put in the tea really did treat the asthma, but it caused some serious tachycardia and hypertension also. It wasn't a safe way, or a specific way, of treating the asthma. Western asthma medicines are specifically formulated to work B2 receptors in the lungs, with minimal Beta 1 effects on the circulatory system; ephedra, commonly found in TCM, has huge Beta 1 and Beta 2 adrenergic receptor effects, thus leading to a more, non specific shotgun like approach to treating the disease. Western medicine tries to be more like a sniper rifle.

And Dao, how the hell have you been? Damn, it's been a long time.
      Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

"You're just a jaded cynical mother****er...." Jeffpeg

(more comments in my User Profile)
      russbo.com

Comment

Originally posted by J-schum View Post
        It's maybe once every three months. I saw the documentary, but, I still would love to hear about the horrible effects of a 2,000 calorie lunch:
        Quarter pounder with cheese
        Large fry
        20 piece chicken nugget
        Large vanilla milk shake
        Super size me!!! I think thats 2,000 calories.
        It will super size you. And then, you'll deal with hypertension (lots of sodium in that shit), obesity (lots of fat and calories), liver enzyme alterations and eventual liver effects and possible damage, kidney disease (from the hypertension), heart disease (from the lipid alterations in your blood, and the hypertension), stroke risk (from all of the previous mentioned), diabetes (from the caloric intake, and the shit in the diet soda you no doubt drink to keep you weight down) which then contributes to heart disease and renal disease, and only god knows how many different cancers you're putting yourself at risk for in the future, because of the high fat diet and the fucking chemicals they put in the french fries to keep them from self destructing until Armageddon.

Worst food you can eat, in my opinion. Just look at the average black female in any city in the US; they predominantly take their kids to eat at Mickey D's, and well, just look....
        Attached Files
        Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

russbo.com

Comment

Lol, I think we should start another thread on nutrition. This is good stuff. My wife has been on me forever about my McDonald's addicition. When she gets on me about my occasional splurges, I like to flash the six pack. Luckily, that's the worst of it. I stay away from sugar entirely (water and seltzer for me). I think an entire thread alone should be dedicated to exploring how people who drink diet soda are almost always the fattest guys in the room. Although, hypertension related disease is definately in my cards.

Not too fat yet, about 160lbs (height 5'9"), before I started training Kung Fu I weighed in about 145lbs. I had an aggressive running regime of between 2 to 6 miles everyday. Kung fu has helped develop my upper body, especially the sholders/arms/chest. It is a nice balance to my workouts.
          _____
          I was curious to see where the best practical martial art discussion was going. So far you guys were leaning towards a definition that described essntials as:
          1) Lot's of sparring.
          2) Broad tools including punches, kicks, grappling and submissions.
          3) Simple concepts
          and I was trying to get someone to offer whether they thought it should be learnable in a relatively quick amount of time (i.e. six months).

Based upon these essentials I was thinking the forum was leading towards Jeet Kun Do or BJJ as a best practical martial arts system for fighting. It's still pretty vague the criteria for "best" from a consensus basis in the thread.

Interestingly, it did not seem you guys were going for breadth as essential which could have directed the discussion toward Shaolin as an ideal fighting method. Also, I found it curious that speed of attack wasn't mentioned specifically, just implied by the "hard work" discussion.

Comment

Let's just say it possible to become decent something like muay thai or bjj or sambo or boxing in 6 months but only if you are training ALOT, like 20 hours a week.

Notice I said decent not good.
            Show me a man who has forgotten words, so that I can have a word with him.

Comment

So, I am going to add a suggestion that the best practical martial art would require 4) a basic proficiency within 540 hrs of training. Not exactly a quick study at first glance.

But, I have read more than a few behavioral psychology based books that mention the 10,000 hour rule. I.e.: in order to master any skill you require about 10,000 hrs of diligent practice. I think it was mentioned a few times in the threads here too.

In that context, 5.4% is pretty darn quick. As a comparison, I estimate my total martial arts training (Shaolin Kung Fu) at 300 hrs (3%) and I don't think I have any practical fighting ability, caveat emptor.

Additionally, Boxing = no grappling/ submission moves. Does Mauy Thai teach submission? I wonder how necessary the submission moves are?

Comment

Originally posted by daodejing View Post
                Let's just say it possible to become decent something like muay thai or bjj or sambo or boxing in 6 months but only if you are training ALOT, like 20 hours a week.

Notice I said decent not good.
                As recently evidenced by Manny Pacquiao...

russbo.com

Comment

Lol, I think we should start another thread on nutrition. This is good stuff.
                  There are quite a few nutrition oriented threads already in the forum; mostly in "Doc's Hospital" I think. It is good stuff. McDonalds is not good stuff. Not much more to say on that topic...

russbo.com

Comment

Pacquiao v marquez '12 was a good fight. I thought Marquez was robbed in '11, so it was pretty sweet to see the K.O. Sligth bias as I watched the '11 fight in Cabo.
                    McDonalds is bad stuff, but, it is so delicious. I have seen the Doc's hospital stuff, it is good. Way more stuff on this site about STD's than you would expect. I was trying to get someone to provide some new insights

Doc, you have trained multiple disciplines. Where do you stand on the topic? What system do you prefer?

Comment

doc doesn't fight, surprised he knew about pac, i didn't until you guys just mentioned that, although writing this I now realise he doesn't care and it was almost certainly his wife he informed him, or maybe not....lol

Comment

No fighting at all? What about the best fighting method for a toddler with a plastic light saber? I recommend Italian wooden spoon training.

Comment

his toddler skipped swords and jumped right into shooting stuff

Comment

Way more stuff on this site about STD's than you would expect.
                            We have to take care of Maestro.

russbo.com

Comment

Doc, you have trained multiple disciplines. Where do you stand on the topic? What system do you prefer?
                              Lately, I don't prefer much of anything, other than sleep. These two kids are wiping me out. However, in the past, I seemed to prefer and enjoy gong fu the most. Really enjoyed learning the combat applications and the uses of the different techniques. It's a bit more elaborate sometimes, than meets the eye. Which is what fascinated me about it.

As for new insights into the Hospital section, just ask. I'll provide. Oh, let's see, here's a good one to start a conversation with:

russbo.com

Comment

that's my kind of article

Comment

Working...
                                X