Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What martial art is most practical in a fight?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well Joe, I don't know if u still want any suggestions, but I think u should find a teacher. since it seems like u like to "check nuts" anyway, do it the old fashioned way and challenge the masters that u meet. whomever beats you down the way u want to beat someone down, ask him to teach u.

btw the man u told that u are not in your area is a gigantic help to the serious.

after all u catch more bees with honey, than u do with vinagar.

biotch

Comment

you should go with what you are interested in, and learn a form of groundfighting.
      "Life is a run. In attack we run, in defense we run. When you can no longer run, time to die" - Shichiroji "Seven samurai"

Comment

Most Practical Style Depend on You

I don't know a lot about martial arts, but I know a lot about people. I firmly believe that there are superior forms or martial arts (this is based on nothing), however, what matters most is the style most suited to you.

Are you short or tall
        strong or flexible
        fast or able to endure a lot of damage
        straightforward or crafty?

You need to know yourself before you know what fight style will serve you best in a street fight.

Answer the above questions then ask around for the martial arts style that suits your type and find the best one of those. If you can do that I bet you will kick ass in all fights.

The guy that wrote the Art of War said, "if you know your enemy and yourself you will always win" He's talking about war and that might not be an exact quote, but he's got an excellent point there.

I guess from the way you write that you are a fairly straightforward guy who values speed and practicality, so search for a style that specializes in that. Good luck

Comment

I say study xinyi not Hsingyi.

Not sure where you are in China but there's really only one place i know to study it...

you can contact them with wugulun@hotmail.com

I know a few people in the know who've been at this school and they rate it. There some exceptional vids on youtube but since we both in china, i can't find them right now and anyway, you can't see them...

good luck!

There are only 10 types of people in this world.
          Those that understand binary and those that don't.

Comment

I think its mostly about how far your willing to go to win the fight.

If you get in first, and fast, and make sure your opponent stays down, you can't lose.

But its being mentally ready to kill or really hurt a person that should set
            you in front of your would be attacker.

"the prime directive of a living being is to maximize its chances of survival. You do not maximize your chances of survival by using the amount of force you deem appropriate to the threat."

Comment

"the prime directive of a living being is to maximize its chances of survival."
              Many centuries' worth of philosophers might disagree with you.
              "You do not maximize your chances of survival by using the amount of force you deem appropriate to the threat."
              Sure you do. If you use an amount of force inappropriate to the threat you might find yourself in jail. That does not maximize your chances of survival (not to mention the quality of said survival).

Comment

Originally posted by zachsan View Post
                Many centuries' worth of philosophers might disagree with you.

Sure you do. If you use an amount of force inappropriate to the threat you might find yourself in jail. That does not maximize your chances of survival (not to mention the quality of said survival).
                The philosophers may not agree, however the theory of evolution and survival of the fittest do. And im sticking with that. Its a fact.

I said living being not human.

And further more, as i said, being a good fighter depends on how far you're willing to go.

i would not be prepared to smash someone in the face with a piece of metal, nor would i shoot someone. But if someone wants to do that or wants to go that far, then they WILL win.

Conversely if someone attacks me with said metal bar, im going to step my game up and make sure that **** doesn't walk away.

The initial question was 'what martial art is most practical in a fight',
                to which my answer is, none, your mind set is the most important thing. If you are not as committed to winning as the person your fighting, you will not win.

Comment

i would not be prepared to smash someone in the face with a piece of metal, nor would i shoot someone. But if someone wants to do that or wants to go that far, then they WILL win.
                  wassn't that something bruce lee also suggested. i remember him saying something to the effect that, basically, if a person if willing risk everything in order to bite your nose off, eventually the'll probably do it. i think that's very telling.

i remember this kid when i was young. he would pick fights with everyone. i can't tell you how many times this kid and i got into it. when we started to get older, i just started to avoid him, though i was still friends with his brothers. he was tenacious. there was no stopping him in a fight. he had nothing to lose.

unfortunately when he was around the age of 18, while breaking into someone's house, he got shot and was killed. his brothers, on the other hand, live with his memory. they were his teachers....
                  ZhongwenMovies.com

Comment

Originally posted by onesp1ng View Post

unfortunately when he was around the age of 18, while breaking into someone's house, he got shot and was killed. his brothers, on the other hand, live with his memory. they were his teachers....
                    your point is taken, i agree.

Comment

I have a new teacher these days, and an even greater respect for internal styles.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V2Qvo_BUmNU"]YouTube - Fajin (Fajing) Exercises of The Pre-Heaven Power Method[/ame]

Comment

i've seen this guy before. seems he understands how to fajing, but i never understood what his students were doing or why he needs a pad on the wall like that.

what's the training like? 
                        ZhongwenMovies.com

Comment

The students are just acting like dummies, thats the point. The teacher is demonstrating different methods of attack.

the pad is to prevent people from getting hurt. lol
                          "Life is a run. In attack we run, in defense we run. When you can no longer run, time to die" - Shichiroji "Seven samurai"

Comment

Originally posted by Deerhooks View Post
                            I have a new teacher these days, and an even greater respect for internal styles.

YouTube - Fajin (Fajing) Exercises of The Pre-Heaven Power Method
                            erm, how come no one has ripped into this?

Comment

what would you like us to say? ms put it fairly well. i just don't get why he's not teaching them to be rooted, to know how to deal with the energy, etc. making them bounce into a pad is kind of counter-productive imo.
                              ZhongwenMovies.com

Comment

it's very productive in the sense that it makes him look cool (to certain individuals) and thus makes him money. Also, it was pretty funny watching that big guy flail backwards for no reason.

Comment

Working...
                                X