Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sarah
    How about this for a definition.
    " The willingness to extend yourself, (push your own limits) for the growth of yourself or another."
    How about this for a man's definition.

"The willingness to extend a part of yourself so that you can push your own limits into another".

Oh, I'm such a pig.
    Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

"You're just a jaded cynical mother****er...." Jeffpeg

(more comments in my User Profile)
    russbo.com

Comment

Fate is fickle, and then you're going to die, so will your children, and all the future generations, and the planet and eventually the universe.
      I'm with you 100% so far.
      When you look at it in those terms the only thing which will give you a profound sense of well being right now and through the greatest of hardships and the full enjoyment of good fortune is that sensation love.
      It can do that. But it can equally create problems (big ones) and basically drive you insane as well. And the hard truth is that the profound sense of well-being that happens when you're loved back is really just as fickle as everything else in life. We want to talk about how "love is forever" but we're deluding ourselves and I think we all know it.

Not that I'm against love or anything, of course... All I'm saying is, it's not the answer to all of life's problems. It's just part of being alive, good or bad.

Gotta love the range of topics discussed on russbo.com.

Comment

Agreed. Someone can love you all they want and still be an utter dick. All the love in the world isnt going to change that

Comment

Sit in a room of ordinary people and start talking about the love you feel for them all and watch everyone getting really uncomfortable! Isn't that sad!
          no its not. The self-righteous prick whos talking about loving people thet they could turn out wanting to kick in the face just dosent get that not everyone cares about everyone.

Comment

I had a heart surgeon friend, many years ago (he's dead now), who, after having been married a few times, and having gotten involved in many things here and there, lived by one mantra:

If it flies, floats or ****s, rent it.

OK. not sure what that has to do with love, but...
            Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

russbo.com

Comment

ok, i may be an utter dick, but i still love you guys, and girls.
              ZhongwenMovies.com

Comment

Sorry i think you really have to be interested in love to read through this one.

Zacsan, Hi, I guess you’re talking about boy meets girl, or boy, or whatever. Romantic passionate, hot sweet and sweaty as Doc would have it.
                I would agree with you most wholeheartedly that that kind of love is a complete illusion and bound to fail, and i had until recently disregarded it completely, until as i mentioned before i came to the conclusion that “enlightenment” feels like that, only it’s built on solid foundations. Rather than being evoked by the presence of one individual it arises in the presence of everyone and everything and comes from the way one sees things oneself. I think romantic love is a sort of teaser, but not necessarily a good path to something more durable. But like Splinter’s poem i think it’s important to keep evoking the sensation from time to time if one is trying to study the art.
                I do agree though the hard truth is love as per definition is difficult, painful, torturous, causes dilemmas and soul searching. Getting up every night for years, wiping snotty noses and shitty arses, arguing day after day about eating your vegetables, putting up with your adolescent, trying not to pass on all the bad habits you learnt from your parents. Taking a deep breath and putting up with dogchow’s self righteous prick going on about loving everyone when the next minute you know he could kick you in the teeth, and managing not to get all self righteous yourself. That takes years of practice and self control, and why bother cause nine times out of ten the prick never gets it. Learning to appreciate and provide for someone after the romantic thing has gone. Turning off your lights and recycling when no one else gives a shit. None of that is pleasant or easy, no lovely thrill there. So i think it is useful to have some definition to refer to so that you don’t get seduced by the longing for that lovely warm feeling and think that alone is love.

It’s interesting though about the being loved back. We can’t actually feel someone else's feelings, we can’t feel someone loving us.
                Being empathetic means that by observing someone else's behaviour we experience the feeling we experience when we behave like that. What we are in fact feeling is our own love, based on our own understanding of what that is and what it means, commitments obligations the lot. Which is why in the case of romantic love we are so often disappointed when the object of our affection turns out to have an understanding all of their own. It also means that the disappointment we feel in someone else's love can come from our own limitations in our capacity to love. ( This might get a bit hard to follow but it is actually logical if you think about it.) The more ways we are capable of loving the more ways we are capable of feeling that people love us. Because we can’t feel someone else’s feelings loving and being loved are actually the same thing. We are inevitably imprisoned in our own minds with only us to love ourselves, we have to learn to be satisfied with that and just look out at the other human beings we see around us and imagine they too have the same profound longing and capacity and difficulty in getting the two to meet.
                No that’s not true, you don’t have to do that at all if you don’t want to. You can just dose up on pleasure as much as you can as fast as you can and hope that it keeps you content till the end of your days. It works for lots of people, most people, more or less.
                Personally i’m a little bored of pleasure, stuff, achievement, after a while it all just becomes more, so i’m going for the learning to love option, it’s something to do with the rest of my days. What are you going to do with yours?

Comment

Zacsan, Hi, I guess you’re talking about boy meets girl, or boy, or whatever. Romantic passionate, hot sweet and sweaty as Doc would have it.
                  At this point in doc's life, he would have it cold, nasty and dry, with a woman who could really give a shit about him, and he'd probably even pay for it too.

Oh hell, you always pay for it, one way or the other.

russbo.com

Comment

What are you going to do with yours?
                    Eat, drink, sleep, ****, play music, and drink some more. And almost certainly fall in love a few times, since I'm a sucker.

Oh, and amazingly, without any medical training at all, I'm going to stumble upon the cure for cancer. It sounds unlikely, I know, but it'll happen. I can feel it.

Comment

I can feel it calling in the air tonight. Oh Yeah.
                      and I can feel it calling in the air tonight. Oh yeah. Oh yeah.
                      "Winners turn to losers, losers are forgotten..." - A Tribe Called Quest

Comment

Oh God no... anything but Phil Collins...

Comment

if anything, wouldnt love in a spiritual sense, be a tool for evolution, or should i say revolution?...

look at the polar opposite of love, (another interesting question)

What is the foundation of life, isnt there a saying that all things are in sympathy with each other?

so what is the ultimate product of life?

imho it is love. and not in a gooey way,

does anyone have a better word?
                          "Life is a run. In attack we run, in defense we run. When you can no longer run, time to die" - Shichiroji "Seven samurai"

Comment

The ultimate product of life is lust. Not love. It's the hormones that make us want to reproduce. The drive for survival via reproduction is probably the strongest in the animal and plant kingdoms. When you look at it in that light, love becomes meaningless. Well, IMHO. But then again, I'm just a jaded cynical motherf....

As for the polar opposite of love, well, I'm curous as to what people think about that. I know that's going to be interesting...

russbo.com

Comment

polar opposite of love? easy: hate...right?
                              No Chumbas, por favor!

Comment

Of course, the drive for implanting your seed is the driving force in which this planet uses as the primary source of motivation and evolution, probably due to the fact that we as physical lifeforms are not immortal and are subject to death and the only way that we are survived are by our children.

love, is most likely a psychological tool that we humans use to band together and survive, probably because since the earliest times we learned that there is strength in numbers.

but i also think that things change and we as a race can actually evolve past our primal urges by using our intellect, a more promising evolutionary mutation...

sure, i guess you could say that the main product of mortal life is lust, but either way, without love, i believe that we are nothing more than wild animals.

i think that someday, humankind will achieve immortality, which will then (hopefully) transcend lust, which will only be another small leap on the time/evolutionary scale...

what do you think?
                                "Life is a run. In attack we run, in defense we run. When you can no longer run, time to die" - Shichiroji "Seven samurai"

Comment

Working...
                                X