Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What do you know about the Yin Yang Symbol?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well i believe Guan Yin is very linked to Yin Yang. According to Daoists she was a daoist under the name of Ci Hang. Guan Yin is tipically chinese, as such she inherits from Yin Yang symbol.

Comment

pretty much every chinese figure has a buddhist, daoist, and confucian interpretation. but that doesnt make the differing philosophies one and the same.

Comment

Originally posted by doc View Post
        Quite honestly Happeh, your question about the yin yang symbol is a good one. Though I have read many things about the origins of yin and yang, I know absolutely nothing about the symbol. I think most of the rest of us probably feel the same way. It's kind of like a traffic light; it's something that you've seen for your whole life, but you have no god damn idea as to why some guy designed it that way a hundred years ago.
        Please re read the above post by Doc. At the very end of the post, Doc says:

but you have no god damn idea as to why some guy designed it that way a hundred years ago.
        I think this could be the source of misinterpretation that got Happeh riled.

The sentence says "But you". Happeh interpreted the "you", as Doc saying "Happeh. You have no idea why some guy designed the Yin Yang symbol that way hundreds of years ago.

On re reading the entire paragraph, it is possible that the "you" was meant in a generalized way as in "You, me or anyone thinking about the Yin Yang symbol, has no idea why some guy designed the Yin Yang that way hundreds of years ago.
        ----------------------------------

If the "you" was meant as "you happeh have no idea", then happeh was justified in being rude. If the "you" was meant as a generalized "you, me, we all have no idea", then there was a misinterpretation that led to the angry reply.

Comment

i tried to explain that to "him," but "he" wouldn't listen. why did it take you so long to see that you're wrong and that do wasn't attacking you? why do you act like a little spoiled brat? and why are you talking about yourself in third person?
          ZhongwenMovies.com

Comment

Originally posted by onesp1ng View Post
            i tried to explain that to "him," but "he" wouldn't listen. why did it take you so long to see that you're wrong and that do wasn't attacking you? why do you act like a little spoiled brat? and why are you talking about yourself in third person?
            Because he's a psycho.
            "For some reason I'm in a good mood today. I haven't left the house yet, though. "

"fa hui, you make buddhism sexy." -Zachsan

"Friends don't let friends do Taekwondo." -Nancy Reagan

Comment

it's something that you've seen for your whole life, but you have no god damn idea as to why some guy designed it that way a hundred years ago.
              "You" was used as a general term, not meant to specify one particular person.

As opposed to:
              Happeh, you truly are a piece of unexplainable work
              That's not general.

Hope that clarifies my comment.
              Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

"You're just a jaded cynical mother****er...." Jeffpeg

(more comments in my User Profile)
              russbo.com

Comment

Yin and Yang

Going back to the original topic. Maybe I am getting old, but I did not see any reference to this link in the answers.

The Origin of Chinese Yin Yang Symbol - Explain How Yin Yang Tai-Chi Symbol was Created

Uwe

Comment

Do you actually believe that? It's a great theory, however, maybe a little more complicated than what the average Chinese in the Shaolin area could understand.

I'm having trouble understanding it...
                  Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

russbo.com

Comment

Same here... I always wonder when I read these things if they make any more sense in a Chinese language...

Sometimes it's called Tai-Chi symbol. The Tai-Chi is from I-Ching. The I-Ching is the greatest foundation of Chinese philosophy. It’s development is from the natural phenomena of our universe. Because I-Ching comes from nature, it should be easy.
                    Even pretending to follow that logic, I'm not sure what exactly is supposed to be easy...

Allow me to think out loud (uh, in print) for a bit...

an 8-foot (Chinese measurement) pole,
                    Nonsensical... how long is a Chinese foot?... semantics maybe....

Alright, I think I've finally wrapped my mind around what this article is getting at. The point at the center of the circle doesn't represent the pole... The circle is a kind of time graph showing the length of the shadow of the pole, with the measurement starting chronologically at the first of the 24 cycles mentioned previously in the article, extending from the outside of the circle inward until the Winter Solstice, at which point the length of the shadow spans the entire radius. Then, the measurement is (for some reason) recorded from the central point of the circle rather than the outside and shrinks inward. (Apologies for taking so long with that, alcohol is to blame...)

Anyway that's all pointless because there seems to be a fundamental discrepancy. This:

Is obviously a lot different from this:

...In that the first represents a kind of spiral, with the two dividing lines originating from a definite point in the middle, whereas the classic Yin-Yang symbol, the second image, has no hard point in the middle where both "shades" meet, but only curves...

This makes it hard to believe that the Yin-Yang we all know and love represents anything cosmological or mathematical, unless someone along the line decided to discard the central meaning of the symbol for aesthetic value.

...I have got to learn to stop eating speed on Tuesday nights. That is all.

Comment

Yea, I figured that out. (Not that you need to stop eating speed on Tuesdays..)

What I didn't understand, is how some Chinese from thousands of years ago, figured out to make a circular time line like this. Seems like a pretty advanced way of thinking, especially for a people in villages, whom I find now, to be very uneducated and kind of regimental in their thought processes.

The rest of that web site is interesting though, especially the horoscope part about my favorite politician, Barack Hussein. Love that stuff...

russbo.com

Comment

Do you actually believe that? It's a great theory, however, maybe a little more complicated than what the average Chinese in the Shaolin area could understand.

I'm having trouble understanding it...
                        No, but it makes for some good discussions.

Comment

Maybe he likes fondling his own breasts.

russbo.com

Comment

Originally posted by zachsan View Post
                            ...In that the first represents a kind of spiral, with the two dividing lines originating from a definite point in the middle, whereas the classic Yin-Yang symbol, the second image, has no hard point in the middle where both "shades" meet, but only curves...
                            Someone can put an answer right in your own mouth and brain, and you still can't see it.

No wonder none of you understand my videos. They are just sounds and pictures. Someone went to the trouble of inserting an answer in this man's brain, and he still doesn't get it.

Comment

i thought it was funny

"Hey asshole, anytime you wanna fight, you let me know."

that is funny to
                              "did you ask me to consider dick with you??" blooming tianshi lotus

Comment

LOL... Absolutely ****ing hilarious... I knew it would come to this. Once upon a time He would show us diagrams describing the nature of the Universe... now The Wise One presents images with captions that begin with, "Hi. My name is Fa Hui and I am looking for sex."

I've got an idea, let's play a game! One of these people is an ex-monk, and the other has an all too well-documented history on Internet messageboards which makes it fairly clear he's a repressed homosexual who's channeled his frustrations into a creepy personal vendetta against the practice of masturbation!! Which is which??
                                Last edited by zachsan; 08-21-2008, 04:28 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X