Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is Mind/Body connection New Age baloney, or a real thing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is Mind/Body connection New Age baloney, or a real thing?

You will always hear people talking about mind/body connection. Wasn't Bruce Lee famous for saying that people needed to make the mind and body one?

Is mind/body connection a philosophical idea? A thought that you should ponder over to enlarge your mind. Maybe something like a Zen koan?

Or is mind/body connection something real? Of course the body and mind are connected by blood vessels, nerves, etc. But if you look in an anatomy book, your brain is inside of your skull which is solid bone. The pictures look like the brain is kind of separate from the body.

What do you think? Would you mind posting your reasons or your thinking as to why you have the opinion that you do?

Very bored at work today.

Of course the body and mind are connected by blood vessels, nerves, etc. But if you look in an anatomy book, your brain is inside of your skull which is solid bone. The pictures look like the brain is kind of separate from the body.
    How do you figure? It's just part of your head, which is no more "separate from the body" than an arm or leg.

Anyway, no, the mind/body connection isn't a philosophical idea. If your mind and your body are not connected, bad news, you're dead. As far as what Bruce Lee was talking about... naturally you can train your brain to be more actively and accurately aware of your body, and thus feel as if the two are more "connected". But the brain like any organ has a defined role. You can't philosophize with your pinky and you can't type with your brain. (For now anyway.)

Comment

I philosophize with my pinky all the time !

I say, "pinky, how do you think the world came in to existance?" To which he relplies, "God found in in a cerial box, duh!"

He also told me what the point of life is. According to my pinky, the point of life is to find out how to speak out of your asshole! He seems to be of the influence that Ace Ventura was the only person who was on the right path, and the rest of humanity is way off! I tried to tell him that Ace Ventura is just a fictional character in a movie, but he doesn't want to believe me. You should see him every time I watch one of the Ace Ventura movies he starts freakin out, all twitchin and shit.

My pinky's a pretty crazy little bastard! I'm glad the rest of the fingers don't talk or I'd really be in for it! I'd probably just end up chopping them all off.
      "Winners turn to losers, losers are forgotten..." - A Tribe Called Quest

Comment

He also told me what the point of life is. According to my pinky, the point of life is to find out how to speak out of your asshole!
        Your pinky should really get in touch with Happeh.

(Couldn't resist.)

Comment

Originally posted by Happeh
          Or is mind/body connection something real? Of course the body and mind are connected by blood vessels, nerves, etc. But if you look in an anatomy book, your brain is inside of your skull which is solid bone. The pictures look like the brain is kind of separate from the body.
          Yes the mind/body connection is real. The problem though is that small brained people like the ones who posted above this, think very literally. Their brains are too small to think outside of the box that anyone puts them in.

That is why you do not want a small brain. Anyone can make you think what they want by choosing the words and ideas presented in a conversation. If you have a small brain, you will never think to use anything but the words and ideas you were given.

If you have a bigger brain, you don't do what people want. You have the ability to do what you want. So if someone asks a question using certain words or ideas, you can sweep it all away and rephrase it a different way if you want. Because your bigger brain has that ability.
          ---------------------------

The small brained guys are in a box because they think in terms of physical things they can hold onto. Blood, nerves, flesh blah blah blah.

If they had a bigger brain and an education, they would know that there are invisible things in the world that are involved in any kung fu.

Those invisible things are called forces.

In physics, you will learn that "force" is an invisible thing that accomplishes an action. When you punch someone in the face, your fist does not hurt the person.

Doesn't that seem weird? That stuff drove me crazy in school because it sounds crazy. If I punch someone, my fist hurts and maybe bleeds, and their face hurts and maybe bleeds. Of course my fist hurt the person.

A physicists will tell you that force hurt the person's face. Your hand only carried the force to the person's face. A force is like an invisible rock that you pull out of your pocket with your hand, then hit another person in the face with.

The mind/body connection is real and it does exist. Except it is not physical. The mind/body connection is a force connection.
          --------------

That's enough. It will take a week for that to percolate through your mind.

Comment

Interesting.

Happeh's responding to his own questions.

Hmmmm.... Another clue. Gotta get my small brain moving on this one.
            Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

"You're just a jaded cynical mother****er...." Jeffpeg

(more comments in my User Profile)
            russbo.com

Comment

Originally posted by doc
              Interesting.

Happeh's responding to his own questions.

Hmmmm.... Another clue. Gotta get my small brain moving on this one.
              Ya. What can I say? You guys seem so mentally slow and your character seems very lazy.

I felt I needed to demonstrate how to have a conversation. You know. Like saying "Goo Goo and Gaa Gaa" to a baby? And then the baby says "Goo Goo Gaa Gaa" back"?

Are you guys as smart as a baby? Can you mimic the examples of intelligent discussion I am presenting you with?

Comment

Happeh,

Please, smoke a joint and get yourself laid.

Sincerely,
                The Rest of the World

Comment

happeh,

dont listen to zachsan...

stop jacking off and stay away from crack... it kills.

sincerely,

Robert. (sorry zachsan, you're highly intelligent and give great advice, but i think mine is better this time)
                  "Life is a run. In attack we run, in defense we run. When you can no longer run, time to die" - Shichiroji "Seven samurai"

Comment

Who said anything about crack?

Comment

YE.
                      "Life is a run. In attack we run, in defense we run. When you can no longer run, time to die" - Shichiroji "Seven samurai"

Comment

Interesting thread. Too bad it died....it says back at the end of June.

I would have liked to have read more. ;(

Comment

I think that what bruce lee is saying is that you must learn and understand your physical body through hard working of the muscles.

Some fat people lose circulation in their legs and can barely feel the muscles under there. Their mind and body are not connected because they obviously havent been excercising and therefore, their mind has lost connection with the muscles. This is my interpretation of what Bruce Lee was saying anyhow.

I notice that when I excercise more, I can feel my body more, I can feel the shape of the muscles and can concentrate my mind on certain ones to relax them or tense them up. If I havent trained in a while, the feeling goes away somewhat, and over time becomes less intense. My mind(or more accurately, my conscious mind;perception) has lost some of that concentration on my body. The unconcious mind can lose the connection as well, and work less hard to maintain the body, not something you want to progressively get worse until you are a crippled old man.

It is really very simple. Just keep excercising and the connection can only get stronger. Damn, that was some serious rambling.

Comment

I disagree. I think you are saying that mind body connection is your mind thinking about your body.

Your mind is directly, physically connected to your body. Anything affecting your body will have a direct affect on your mind. This connection is.....coded in a way. If something happens to your legs, one part of your mind will be affected. If something happens to your arms, another part of your brain will be affected?

You want to know why? Because your brain is like a seed. The roots from your brain grow down into your arms, into your body, and into your leg. So of course anything that affects the roots of a plant, affect the plant itself.

If you can understand that, then you are a real kung fu man.

Comment

Yes, your brain is connected to all other parts of your body. You don't think that these connections are fragile and can deteriorate over time without proper maintenence? say it is coded in a way? Of course it is, but the code can become corrupted throughh bad diet, drugs, lack of excercise and that crappy aging process.

Think of an engine that sits for years and then stops working. Your body is the same way. You must maintain and strenthen your muscles, which will enliven the nerves running throughout, which therefore strengthens the connection between your brain and your body, and your brain is what creates your mind.

I dont see how it is that your post disagrees with what I was saying. It seems to be in direct agreement if anything.

Comment

Working...
                              X