Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Too Funny!!!! (China regulates Tibetan Buddhism)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

As rediculous as the Chinese Govt. is for all the wild decisiouns it makes and claims for concerns it obviously does not have (human rights) what I personaly got a kick from was this,
    "Recent surveys by the Barna Group, a Christian research nonprofit, have found that a quarter of U.S. Christians, including 10 percent of all born-again Christians, embrace it as their favored end-of-life view." (reincarnation)

A distinctly non-Christian view... Ha, what is the religious world, or secular, coming to?
    "Winners turn to losers, losers are forgotten..." - A Tribe Called Quest

Comment

I'd be a little more pissed if i wasnt under the impression that china invented the dalai lama and was basically behind the opressive system the current one supposedly fled.

http://www.michaelparenti.org/Tibet.html

Could be totally wrong tho...

Doc, shoot me a PM with your phone number. been changing phones more than underwear lately (not that thats a big accomplishment...)

Comment

Fa Hui, you say buddhism teaches the absence of self. To my understanding of Theravadan buddhism, this point of view is not ultimate as the Buddha does not answer the question whether there is a self or not. The meditation on anatta is just a tool to let go the clinging to a self.
        I might be wrong, though

Just make a search on anatta at www.accesstoinsight.org

Ananda Sutta
        To Ananda
        (On Self, No Self, and Not-self)
        Translated from the Pali by
        Thanissaro Bhikkhu

PTS: S iv 400
        CDB ii 1393

Source: Transcribed from a file provided by the translator.

Copyright © 2004 Thanissaro Bhikkhu.
        Access to Insight edition © 2004
        For free distribution. This work may be republished, reformatted, reprinted, and redistributed in any medium. It is the author's wish, however, that any such republication and redistribution be made available to the public on a free and unrestricted basis and that translations and other derivative works be clearly marked as such.

Then the wanderer Vacchagotta went to the Blessed One and, on arrival, exchanged courteous greetings with him. After an exchange of friendly greetings & courtesies, he sat to one side. As he was sitting there he asked the Blessed One: "Now then, Venerable Gotama, is there a self?"
        When this was said, the Blessed One was silent.
        "Then is there no self?"
        A second time, the Blessed One was silent.
        Then Vacchagotta the wanderer got up from his seat and left.
        Then, not long after Vacchagotta the wanderer had left, Ven. Ananda said to the Blessed One, "Why, lord, did the Blessed One not answer when asked a question by Vacchagotta the wanderer?"
        "Ananda, if I — being asked by Vacchagotta the wanderer if there is a self — were to answer that there is a self, that would be conforming with those priests & contemplatives who are exponents of eternalism [the view that there is an eternal, unchanging soul]. If I — being asked by Vacchagotta the wanderer if there is no self — were to answer that there is no self, that would be conforming with those priests & contemplatives who are exponents of annihilationism [the view that death is the annihilation of consciousness]. If I — being asked by Vacchagotta the wanderer if there is a self — were to answer that there is a self, would that be in keeping with the arising of knowledge that all phenomena are not-self?"
        "No, lord."
        "And if I — being asked by Vacchagotta the wanderer if there is no self — were to answer that there is no self, the bewildered Vacchagotta would become even more bewildered: 'Does the self I used to have now not exist?'"

Comment

How can you let go of something that doesn't exist until you understand what it is you're meant to let go of perception of and what quantifies it??

Comment

Originally posted by liutangsanzang View Post
            Guan Yin Bu Sha!
            lol, that was a nice one!

Comment

Originally posted by liutangsanzang View Post
              Fa Hui, you say buddhism teaches the absence of self. To my understanding of Theravadan buddhism, this point of view is not ultimate as the Buddha does not answer the question whether there is a self or not. The meditation on anatta is just a tool to let go the clinging to a self.
              I might be wrong, though

Just make a search on anatta at www.accesstoinsight.org

Ananda Sutta
              To Ananda
              (On Self, No Self, and Not-self)
              Translated from the Pali by
              Thanissaro Bhikkhu

PTS: S iv 400
              CDB ii 1393

Source: Transcribed from a file provided by the translator.

Copyright © 2004 Thanissaro Bhikkhu.
              Access to Insight edition © 2004
              For free distribution. This work may be republished, reformatted, reprinted, and redistributed in any medium. It is the author's wish, however, that any such republication and redistribution be made available to the public on a free and unrestricted basis and that translations and other derivative works be clearly marked as such.

Then the wanderer Vacchagotta went to the Blessed One and, on arrival, exchanged courteous greetings with him. After an exchange of friendly greetings & courtesies, he sat to one side. As he was sitting there he asked the Blessed One: "Now then, Venerable Gotama, is there a self?"
              When this was said, the Blessed One was silent.
              "Then is there no self?"
              A second time, the Blessed One was silent.
              Then Vacchagotta the wanderer got up from his seat and left.
              Then, not long after Vacchagotta the wanderer had left, Ven. Ananda said to the Blessed One, "Why, lord, did the Blessed One not answer when asked a question by Vacchagotta the wanderer?"
              "Ananda, if I — being asked by Vacchagotta the wanderer if there is a self — were to answer that there is a self, that would be conforming with those priests & contemplatives who are exponents of eternalism [the view that there is an eternal, unchanging soul]. If I — being asked by Vacchagotta the wanderer if there is no self — were to answer that there is no self, that would be conforming with those priests & contemplatives who are exponents of annihilationism [the view that death is the annihilation of consciousness]. If I — being asked by Vacchagotta the wanderer if there is a self — were to answer that there is a self, would that be in keeping with the arising of knowledge that all phenomena are not-self?"
              "No, lord."
              "And if I — being asked by Vacchagotta the wanderer if there is no self — were to answer that there is no self, the bewildered Vacchagotta would become even more bewildered: 'Does the self I used to have now not exist?'"
              Got'cha Bitch!!!
              "For some reason I'm in a good mood today. I haven't left the house yet, though. "

"fa hui, you make buddhism sexy." -Zachsan

"Friends don't let friends do Taekwondo." -Nancy Reagan

Comment

I never suspected a humorous link would provoke such a deep discussion....

Comment

they say it's always the quiet guy.... lol...
                  ZhongwenMovies.com

Comment

Fa. Such words for an ex monk.

And whats with the facial do?
                    Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

"You're just a jaded cynical mother****er...." Jeffpeg

(more comments in my User Profile)
                    russbo.com

Comment

Oh you know, just being me.

I actually just shaved my face this past weekend.
                      "For some reason I'm in a good mood today. I haven't left the house yet, though. "

"fa hui, you make buddhism sexy." -Zachsan

"Friends don't let friends do Taekwondo." -Nancy Reagan

Comment

Working...
                      X