Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hi everyone

Hi Everyone
    Just a quick post to introduce myself, I'm 21 and from Cornwall, UK. I have been trawling through the vast amounts of info on this website for a couple days now. I've been training a mixed syllabus of Wing Chun, Lau Gar and Sanshou for almost a year. My club is quite small and modest, we don't have much equipment or anything, just a shitty little hall to train in but we love it!! My master is a top bloke, really down to earth, he's been training for about 42 years since he was 13 and he is extremely fed up with all the bullshit in the martial arts world and seems quite content with his small group of dedicated students. I was considering a trip to China to further my martial arts but after reading alot of the entries on this website I'm starting to re-consider my options. It's starting to sound like I've got it pretty sweet where I am at the mo! I guess I just want to say a big collective thanx to everyone who has posted info on this site, I think I was pretty close to going to a shaolin tourist trap in Yantai but you've saved me wasting money. So Hi and cheers!
    p.s Doc what is the best player to use for the videos, I'm having problems??

cheers.
    "Life is a run. In attack we run, in defense we run. When you can no longer run, time to die" - Shichiroji "Seven samurai"

Comment

u've got brain bruv

If I ever went to China I'd find a good Wing chun teacher, but in Hong Kong not mainland (that's where they teach practical e.g. police special forces etc). That's also where most can speak at least a little bit of English, and trust me that is an enormous plus. Of course life is expensive there, so it can't really be for very long.

I've had the pleasure to learn some Wing Chun with a Hong Kong teacher in Malaysia, and I have to say it's from far the best "martial" experience of my life. His skill was far greater than everything I had seen before and I had seen quite a few really good WC practitioners. And he only taught the really good effective techniques. Surprizingly, he kept everything so simple it was just a revelation for me, like the essence of Wing Chun in fact, just keep it simple.

But i've also had the pleasure of training Wing Chun in the UK, and It was also very practical, lots of pad work and even free sparring. Very good stuff too.

So yea there's not necessarily any need to travel 5000 miles to learn good Kung Fu or else. We have really good stuff here in the UK. But going to the right place also is worth it. I'm not into going somewhere and train like crazy all day long, that's not my approach. A few hours a day are enough, you can also spend the rest of the time seeing other aspects of a very rich and interesting Chinese Culture, u know, the food, the places, the people, the girls...hahaha

Peace
      The East? The West?

Men and Women, that's all...

Comment

welcome to the gang zaphod. hope you enjoy your stay here.

You'll need the latest version of Quicktime to view the videos in the Forum / Library section here; you won't need much of anything to view the videos in the main russbo.com site, which lie in the "video submissions" area. There are far more videos here in the forum than in the main submissions part of the site.
        Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

"You're just a jaded cynical mother****er...." Jeffpeg

(more comments in my User Profile)
        russbo.com

Comment

Working...
        X