Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Present Situation of Chinese Martial Arts

Hello everybody,

Can anybody tell me the present situation of Chinese martial arts? I read from various sources that much of Chinese martial arts being taught today are for demonstration/health purposes but the combat root has been lost. Further, I heard that only a handful of masters exist that have the depth of knowledge in the traditional arts. Thanks for helping me understand the present state of Chinese martial arts.

Shoebox, I know you don't want to hear this, but, you can read alot about this in the site, specifically, in my Journals, which can be found in the forum here, and also in the main russbo.com site.

What you have read seems to be true. Unfortunately.
    Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

"You're just a jaded cynical mother****er...." Jeffpeg

(more comments in my User Profile)
    russbo.com

Comment

Long time since I commented, and especially on this.

You need a very inventive and probably destructive insight to be able to interpret the quan movements into combat movements. However, some have this insight and / or have had the right instruction on such insight. Shi Heng Xuan sees what he is doing as a sequence of attacks & defenses. He even decodes Taichi into combat manoevers, for those who are ready to accept such knowledge. Yes parts do not appear to have attacking or defensive content, but he seems to understand their value in their wholeness and in the managment of suppleness and flow of qi.

Good teachers out there will not impart this knowledge until they are sure of the student. Unless you are with a known warrior, its should be hard to work out if your instructor appreciates the combative aspects of what they are conveying. However if you have a destructive insight... however elegantly the quan is performed, you will realise through the focus of the performer's moves whether or not they are killing a tiger... or tweaking its tail.

Chicken

Comment

Originally posted by Chicken View Post
        You need a very inventive and probably destructive insight to be able to interpret the quan movements into combat movements.

Not really. My Kung Fu knowlege isnt amazing or anything, but from the various videos of forms that I've seen (traditional or not) it is easy to interpret the combat applications of many of the moves and stances. I learned a Nan Quan competition form and it really gets you in the habit of blocking just before you move forward for an attack.

Comment

Originally posted by shoebox View Post
          Hello everybody,

Can anybody tell me the present situation of Chinese martial arts? I read from various sources that much of Chinese martial arts being taught today are for demonstration/health purposes but the combat root has been lost. Further, I heard that only a handful of masters exist that have the depth of knowledge in the traditional arts. Thanks for helping me understand the present state of Chinese martial arts.

no offense, but what a strange question.

Blooming tianshi lotus.

Comment

i dont think it can ever die,

the people that love it always teach and keep it going.
            "Life is a run. In attack we run, in defense we run. When you can no longer run, time to die" - Shichiroji "Seven samurai"

Comment

i wont say just CMA but most traditional arts are watered down. lots of reasons for this. to much to get into about that. biggest ones are no one fights, in the past if u trained a martial art u were fighting often..training fighters not "artists"

modern laws and such have alot to do with it to.

the cultural revolution had a big impact on chinese culture and of course cma to

like i said alot of things but in the end most traditional arts, and they practitioners are full of shit and cant fight, even if they can defend themselves they arent real fighters

no one even cares about being a real fighter anyway.
              "did you ask me to consider dick with you??" blooming tianshi lotus

Comment

Working...
              X