• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Introduction in the Chinese language

[FONT='Arial','sans-serif']Introduction in the Chinese language[/FONT]
    [FONT='Arial Unicode MS','sans-serif'][/FONT]

[FONT='Arial','sans-serif']Ni hao! - Hello[/FONT]
    [FONT='Arial','sans-serif']Who plans a longer stay in Shaolin has to learn the fundamental basics of the Chinese language. There is at maximum one Chinese who can speak or understand English. However their English is awfully bad and the most simple communication can last hours. We were the lucky ones who had the following conversation with a group of Chinese:[/FONT]
    [FONT='Arial','sans-serif']1. I am a chinese.
    2. I live in china.
    3.[/FONT]
    [FONT='Arial','sans-serif']I sit on a bank.
    4. I have shoes.[/FONT]
    [FONT='Arial','sans-serif']This conversation took us over half an hour.....[/FONT]
    [FONT='Arial','sans-serif']In Shaolin only Chinese is spoken. This means that for each meal, for each small shopping tour or for each sight seeing tour in Shaolin the Chinese language is absolutely necessary![/FONT]
    [FONT='Arial','sans-serif']Most of you will travel to several parts of China too. Unfortunately the north and south dialects (Mandarin and Cantonese) differ considerably, so that your Chinese knowledge is useless in any another region.[/FONT]
    [FONT='Arial','sans-serif']And now a little lesson:[/FONT]
    [FONT='Arial','sans-serif']Chinese characters[/FONT]
    [FONT='Arial','sans-serif']The Chinese writing consists of several thousand characters. In the 60's many complicated characters were simplified and the so-called abbreviations are far common now. However a daily paper exists of approx. 2000 characters and the Chinese need at least 5 years intensive learning in order to understand daily news. Therefore the foreigners should learn first the fundamental basics of the language and then the characters.[/FONT]
    [FONT='Arial','sans-serif']Phonetic transcription[/FONT]
    [FONT='Arial','sans-serif']The official phonetic transcription of the People's Republic of China is called "Hanyu pinyin". This phonetic transcription tries to convert the Chinese characters into our well-known latin letters, however this is not completely possible. The largest learning effect arises as a result of listening and speaking.[/FONT]
    [FONT='Arial','sans-serif']Words and syllables[/FONT]
    [FONT='Arial','sans-serif']Nearly every Chinese syllable possesses its own meaning and its own character. Chinese is written not word by word but syllable for syllable.[/FONT]
    [FONT='Arial','sans-serif']Tonality[/FONT]
    [FONT='Arial','sans-serif']The Chinese is a tone language, i.e. each syllable can have one of four possible tone intonations. So, if a word is stressed wrongly, it will get a completely different meaning. Here a small example, in order to clarify the four tones of the Chinese.[/FONT]
    [FONT='Arial','sans-serif']Two people look at an airplane, which they can only hear, but not see. A sees it first and calls with joy "there" - B looks in completely different direction and asks doubting with rising tone process "there?" - A is annoyed at B's ignorance, it says mocking "there", then he points at the airplane and repeats with forced intonation "there". Chinese would understand the terms as the following: to set up - dozen - strike - large.[/FONT]
    [FONT='Arial','sans-serif']1. Ton: The syllable is spoken high with a flat process, e.g. the word "game" in the sentence "Baseball is a fantastic game."[/FONT]
    [FONT='Arial','sans-serif']2. Ton: This is a rising tone like an asking "Yes?".[/FONT]
    [FONT='Arial','sans-serif']3. Ton: The syllable is deeply spoken, i.e. neither with a flat nor a high tone, e.g. the syllable "well" in "well done".[/FONT]
    [FONT='Arial','sans-serif']4. Ton: This is a falling tone like an aggressive "no!".[/FONT]
    [FONT='Arial','sans-serif']In the Chinese language there are scarcely 1600 acoustically distinguishable syllables.[/FONT]
    [FONT='Arial','sans-serif']Grammar[/FONT]
    [FONT='Arial','sans-serif']There is no special grammar in Chinese language, i.e. conjugation and declination are completely unknown. This simplifies the learning of the language immensly. Nevertheless the construction of the sentence plays an important role.[/FONT]
    [FONT='Arial','sans-serif']Vocabulary[/FONT]
    [FONT='Arial','sans-serif']Ni hao[/FONT][FONT='Arial','sans-serif'] - "Hello" is one of the most important empty phrases and can be used every time.[/FONT]
    [FONT='Arial','sans-serif']Tài guì[/FONT][FONT='Arial','sans-serif'] - "Too expensive" each foreigner should know this phrase since every ignorant foreigner must pay a much higher price.[/FONT]
    [FONT='Arial','sans-serif']Lao Wài[/FONT][FONT='Arial','sans-serif'] - "Foreigners, you will hear those 2 words at least every minute.[/FONT]
    [FONT='Arial','sans-serif'][/FONT]
    [FONT='Arial','sans-serif']For more information please take a look at http://www.shaolin-wushu.de or http://www.trip-to-china.com.[/FONT]
    [FONT='Arial','sans-serif']China Kung Fu[/FONT]
    [FONT='Arial','sans-serif']www.shaolin-wushu.de - Shaolin Kung Fu Training in China, more than 1000 pictures and videos, traveller reports, Forum and more[/FONT]
    [FONT='Arial','sans-serif']www.trip-to-china.com - Learning Chinese language in china, Shaolin Kung Fu/Tai Chi/Sanda Training in China[/FONT]
    [FONT='Arial','sans-serif']
    [/FONT]

Well, that didn't work out too well, lol. but nice try.

And I'm sorry I can't help you fix it because I have no idea how people get chinese characters into the forum. you might want to try with pinyin, AND, leave the font to default. Different views of ths forum will show differently, and if you use black text all the time it's not too visible.
    Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

"You're just a jaded cynical mother****er...." Jeffpeg

(more comments in my User Profile)
    russbo.com

Comment

I have a great little program that I used in order to learn. Its called 'Before you kow it'. Its a visual and audio program.

YF

Comment

Working...
      X