Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hematoma under the nail

Doc,

I bruised both of my big toes skiing. Have a subungual hematoma under each nail and I'm trying to put a needle through it to relieve the pressure (and having a bit of difficulty) but it's been about 5 hours since I noticed the bruising. Is it too late?

Thanks,

Shaolinstylee
    practice wu de

No. Subungual hematomas are quite treatable, even after a period of time. Getting the blood out from under the nail brings about good pain relief, but using a needle to do so is just, well, painful.

What we usually do is the following: Heat the tip of a paper clip, which has been opened, until it gets good and hot. Once red hot, just push it through the nail into the hematoma below. The blood should drip out through the hole.

Keep it dressed with antibiotic ointment and watch it for infection.

You might want to have a physician do this, though many have done it on themselves. It's easier than it sounds.

If you have any questions or doubts, get proper medical treatment.

You also might want to look into another pair of boots. You shouldn't be damaging your toes like that. Great you have snow up there though, we just got some in southern Utah this week. Let's hope it's a better ski season than the years past.
    Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

"You're just a jaded cynical mother****er...." Jeffpeg

(more comments in my User Profile)
    russbo.com

Comment

Hematoma under the nail

We just parked under the overpass every day and stuffed the meter with quarters. I did see some people that had parking passes hanging on their mirrors, but didnt notice tickets.

Comment

Working...
      X