Why do you train?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why do you train?

Okay, brothers, I have one question for all of you and I will be looking to see your answers, "Why do you train in Gong Fu Shaolin or any other type that you may have practiced?"

As for this "Iron Cross" Why do you call yourself "Iron Cross"? The only "Iron Cross" I am familiar with is the NAZI one. Are you some kind of Neo Nazi or something?

JW

Iron cross as in the gymnastics position on the rings. I also train in gymnastics. But then i also train hand balancing and acrobatics as well as rock climb. Some of the guys at wushu call me Joe-Eagle or Joe-E-Gall as they were putting it simply because I am practicing eagle claw now. Still, Iron cross was my nickname for a while and it kinda stuck and besides that position is so extremely hardcore. Strange enough everyone I train with now in all my activities knows what the rings are and that the Iron Cross is a bad ass position on them. Never before have I mentioned Iron Cross in any kind of fitness environment and been accused of being a nazi. Thats totally a new one cheers mate. Check it:

As for why I practice martial arts at all. I guess its the same reason people play soccer, football, tennis or anything or physical activity. Some of the reasons I study wushu is for the technical challenge and beauty the movements and forms hold. I see it as an activity with a level of physical prowess and precision not seen in very many sports. I train gymnastics because I marvel at the amount of body control and strength its possible to develop. Some of the movements and techniques defy belief at times. I train hand balancing because again I so admire the body control required to pull off the balances. It has given me not only extreme control over my own bodies equilibrium but also made that whole mind body link stronger and more clear. As for rock climbing. Well its just awesome to be out on a cliff wall on a beautiful summers day admiring the scenery. Plus he sheer challenge of trying to scale what looks like an unscalable cliff using just your fingers and toes. In that its kind of a metaphor for life. At first the obstacle seems impossible to conquer but if you really try hard and know what your doing anything is possible.

Some reasons i DONT do any of these things include; the social atmosphere, I need a master, My life needs direction, I'm lonely, im insecure and need to be pushed and many others I could list.

So questions back at you jack. Why do you train shaolin martial arts and more specifically why at USAST?
    The essential point in science it not a complicated mathematical formalism or a ritualized experimentation. Rather the heart of science is a kind of shrewd honesty the springs from really wanting to know what the hell is going on!

Comment

Be careful with the rock climbing stuff. I've seen, and taken care of, far too many rock climbers in the past. Gravity is a bitch to deal with. It always wins.
      Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

"You're just a jaded cynical mother****er...." Jeffpeg

(more comments in my User Profile)
      russbo.com

Comment

Man you have no idea. I see these guys climb without any gear, meaning no ropes or anything, because its more extreme. I call it more insane and definitely stupid. Even at the cliffs I've seen people that are inexperienced take falls or get hurt trying to climb things they shouldn't have been. Saw a guy get bit by a copper head snake once too that was interesting. I wouldn't dare climb something unless I knew I could handle it and all my gear was working, clean and not beat up.
        The essential point in science it not a complicated mathematical formalism or a ritualized experimentation. Rather the heart of science is a kind of shrewd honesty the springs from really wanting to know what the hell is going on!

Comment

Originally posted by jackwolf
          Okay, brothers, I have one question for all of you and I will be looking to see your answers, "Why do you train in Gong Fu Shaolin or any other type that you may have practiced?"

As for this "Iron Cross" Why do you call yourself "Iron Cross"? The only "Iron Cross" I am familiar with is the NAZI one. Are you some kind of Neo Nazi or something?

JW
          Inititially I began to train for general activity's sake, but the more I came to understanding and familiarity with shaolin, besides minimising my vulnerabilty, I also came to realise that it is a shaolin to tenet to take care of our health. Exercise and conditioning is a part of that for me and so is being able to defend myself.

It's amazing what rises to the surface once those vulnerabilties subside.
          Maybe thaat 's the point.

Maybe shaolin specifically eludes to a promise of betterment and peace and liberation from that which binds us., and to play or bounce that off of other styles and systems, is probably a v.good way to reality check that. .. particularly with certain applications that might not neccessarily be in any one package of shaolin kung fu lesson immediately available , to learn thOse and come back and integrate thaat into my shaolin kungfu, i find a really good way to stay fresh and keep my game on.

I initially began practicing shaolin kungfu conditioning as opposed to the qigong I 'd practiced from a very very young age, as much as it didn't reeally come together to make much sense as it did later until I had acheived a high level condition, because of hard how they worked , I wanted to see if I could or how close I could come.. just to see where I stood relative to that.
          NObody imo conditions like shaolin does. nobody.
          never hated that, and most likely never wont find home in it . Lovve that.

Blooming tianshi lotus.

p.s. not that we 're particularly overly attatched to these things or have anything against scientology and gay love, but if someone were to change my russbo.com god sig to russbo.com godess.. I wouldn't hate that. just in case you wondered. @) .
          *shrug*.
          Last edited by blooming tianshi lotus; 12-08-2007, 02:10 AM.

Comment

well, golly gee!! everyone's back........
            ZhongwenMovies.com

Comment

I shall make you a "goddess".

Got to keep our ladies happy.
              Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

"You're just a jaded cynical mother****er...." Jeffpeg

(more comments in my User Profile)
              russbo.com

Comment

another russbo christmas . .

I've been recruiting and infiltrating. stay tooned. .

Comment

Working...
                X