Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• xing yi

Hey whats up guys, its been a while...

just wanted to say doc that i appreciate your contributions to the preservation of shaolin, and im sure people like me who want to learn shaolin kung fu some day do too.

I give xing yi a thumbs up on the martial arts critique board, ive been studying with this one dude who is pretty good, hopefully he will teach me ba gua later on.

anyway, i found this pretty interesting book preview on xing yi, i gonna get this for sure, has some good names in it, tim cartmell, bruce kumar, luo de xiu, etc... sounds really good
    http://books.google.com/books?id=JzG...xsilgU#PPP1,M1
    "Life is a run. In attack we run, in defense we run. When you can no longer run, time to die" - Shichiroji "Seven samurai"

That book looks very interesting. I'm going to pick it up. Thanks for the heads up.

Comment

no prob....
      "Life is a run. In attack we run, in defense we run. When you can no longer run, time to die" - Shichiroji "Seven samurai"

Comment

hey this is real kung fu!

Comment

Originally posted by master splinter View Post

anyway, i found this pretty interesting book preview on xing yi, i gonna get this for sure, has some good names in it, tim cartmell, bruce kumar, luo de xiu, etc... sounds really good
          http://books.google.com/books?id=JzG...xsilgU#PPP1,M1
          Kumar lives close to me. From what I have heard, he is not the best person in the world to learn from.

He is said to be good at his skill, but as a person he is not so good. He seems to be a typical kung fu fighter actually. Attained some kung fu power, then turned into a bullying jerk because he can punch anyone who bothers him.

I know he doesn't know all he claims to know. I read that he said it was OK to do kung fu within hours after sex, when his chinese master and chinese literature says to wait at least 24 hours after sex to practice kung fu.

Kumar is wrong about that. Of course you can have sex and then go do kung fu, but it will cause you health problems if you do. Kumar's statement that anyone could have sex and go practice kung fu within hours, and that the chinese guys recommendations for 24 hours were because they were old conservative chinese, demonstrates he does not know everything about the human body and kung fu.

That comment of Kumar's was written years ago. Perhaps by now he is more knowledgable about kung fu and the human body and he has changed his advice. I don't pay much attention to him anymore, after he started up with the money making activities playing yuppies for chumps.

Comment

People look for Sifu's in much the same way that they look for answers. they want the deepest, most complex one that they will get the most out of.

this is unfortunate.

there is no such thing as a simple answer; only a simple-minded interpretation of one.

Comment

practicing gung fu within a day of having sex isnt neccesarily bad for you. i believe the chinese are right in certain circumstances for instance practicing some forms of hard qi gong.

gung fu forms and drills are ok, i believe your level of jing and chi are effected but i think that also varies with age because..well im not going into details about my personal experience lolo but whatever

and in response to "dogchow" i think its important to look for people who have skills you wish to obtain, and nothing more. alot of people practice gung fu for different reasons...i wanna say "wrong" but who am i to say lolo.

personally ive had 2 gung fu teachers and met many different martial artists, but between both my teachers i never really judged them on personality, if u do that then you put yourself in a position your not really even supposed to be in..and thats according to the chinese not me.

your sifu isnt supposed to be your friend or your role model as a person, morally or ethically. thats what your parents are supposed to teach you, your teacher is supposed to teach u an art
              "did you ask me to consider dick with you??" blooming tianshi lotus

Comment

personally ive had 2 gung fu teachers and met many different martial artists, but between both my teachers i never really judged them on personality, if u do that then you put yourself in a position your not really even supposed to be in..and thats according to the chinese not me.

your sifu isnt supposed to be your friend or your role model as a person, morally or ethically. thats what your parents are supposed to teach you, your teacher is supposed to teach u an art
                i've never heard chinese say that, and it's uncharacteristic of chinese thought as a whole...
                ZhongwenMovies.com

Comment

"i've never heard chinese say that"

well i have, and what exactly is "that", why dont u specify what u disagree with or do u disagree with all of it lolo

"and it's uncharacteristic of chinese thought as a whole..."

what is uncharacterisitic of chinese thought. what are you talking about?

i disagree with your disagreement lolo. and what exactly is chinese thought, are we talking sterotypes now or chinese martial arts sterotypes

from my experience with the chinese arts is the student teacher relationship is about transmission of knowledge, not morals or ethics or about upholding a standard or rule. now..if u want to talk about the preresiquites of the art thats one thing, many styles have a standard they follow which the students follow

but thats not what the teacher is there for, thats what paper is for.

Comment

well we'll just have to agree to disagree then, won't we? lol.. but actually i never said that i disagreed. like you said, it's from your experience...

i'd say that seems to be more of a modern expression of the martial arts transmission that we know today. you pay money, the teacher is used as a kind of employee in order to learn some new skills, and that's that... but of course the masters were, and are still, looked to for their "ethics and morals." to look toward the elders, the masters, as role models is a traditional chinese value. that's basic chinese thought.

but it may just depend on the situation. i've had teachers who i've never looked to as a guide, and some that i have or do. in the west students typically seek out a teacher who can teach them skills, beat their ass, etc.. in the east the teacher was considered an extended part of the family. students listened and listen without question. people in the east want to learn skills, sure, but they also expect to get to know their teacher, as well as to become part of his or her extended family.

in taiwan, for example, i don't pay my teacher. he doesn't expect money, and he won't teach or support people who only want to use his arts to fight, for their own benefit, if they're too violent, etc.. he teaches by example, and a lot of it involves morals and ethics...as you put it. that's my experience.

anyhow, as a side, i just started learning the 形意五行拳 (xingyi wuxingquan) last night.
                    ZhongwenMovies.com

Comment

"i'd say that seems to be more of a modern expression of the martial arts transmission that we know today. you pay money, the teacher is used as a kind of employee in order to learn some new skills, and that's that... but of course the masters were, and are still, looked to for their "ethics and morals." to look toward the elders, the masters, as role models is a traditional chinese value. that's basic chinese thought."

this is complete bullshit. anyone who believes this is living in a dream world. this is like the karate kid mentality only theres one fatal flaw. the real masters of the past werent looked to as role models, most of them werent even literate!! and most teachers didnt even have formal schools, a handful of students and that was that. up untill recent years did these people open schools and even then, they werent well educated, they didnt know shit.

everyone talks about past masters like they were supreme martial scholars and perfect people walking around like wong fei hung. this is utter bs.

and i wasnt talking about paying money and expecting a service lolo but whatever...

now again im not arguing that elders arent looked to for knowledge..but thats not exactly exclusive to the chinese lolo. but if your implying that the chinese masters were looked up to as role models and for their wisdom and ethical standards and morals and all this shit is such bs. martial arts in china during the last 500 years(the qing dynasty and this century) were illegal for a shitload of the time and not to mention, everyone who had any skills were trying to overthrow the manchu rule "destroy the qing restore the ming" was a common saying lolo.

its funny u mention ethics and morals considering...that most of the old school guys seem to lack those qualitys lolo

what about the white haired devil

what about chan tai san lolo

what about all these monks who are crazy as hell

what about yin fu who was an imperial guard most "chinese" would consider him a traitor and did lolo

what about bak mei

what about all the hung ga and wing chun legends who were known outlaws and rebels who just happened to be the most famous martial artists

fong sai yuk, hung hei goon

i could go on...but its whatever. the facts are out there, anyone who wants to know what the real deal is should go find out.

my oppinion is what i stated before, the teachers with real skills are more about transmitting skills then teaching someone how to be a good person. people who look to teachers for a big daddy figure are killing the arts imho. there is so much knowledge out there people get caught up in all this hollywood bullshit and disregard what is really important in gung fu!!!

hard work

real fighting skills

transmission of knowledge!!

Comment

you know, maestro, the smartest thing i've heard you say on these boards recently is that you're an eternal white belt, but now you suddenly seem to know all the answers again. again, this is your experience.

i don't train with monks, nor would i care to train with some ignorant bully just to pick up a little "knowledge." i also never said all the old masters are "supreme martial scholars and perfect people." but i'll tell you that (from my understanding) filial piety and ancestor worship are still key components to chinese culture and thought. it may be slowly disappearing some, but it's still very much alive in most asians' minds. i see it everyday, and it's not something that can be completely absent from the masters, as you suggest. the classics are quite clear on these matters. whether someone is literate or not isn't necessarily important.

btw, there have been, and there still are, many many teachers and masters. some are positive examples, others aren't. my teacher lived with his teacher for over ten years...now his primary student lives with him here in taiwan. skills and knowledge are all present, but why, especially in this day and age, train if not to use the knowledge you've gained for good? to help others? etc?

but they say people attract like minded people....i don't know. perhaps if you look hard enough you'll see a bit more positivity out there. believe me, i'm not into master worship. i'm far from it. but things may not be as plain as you'd like to think. it may be that both exist.

my point was that to say people don't look to their teachers and masters for "morals and ethics," which were your words, btw, is uncharacteristic of chinese thinking. you can call it bs or say i'm delusional, but i live here. so i'll stick with that perspective for the mean time....
                        ZhongwenMovies.com

Comment

Very interesting debate, i guess u both hold a part of the truth

But the thread is going out of topics, it seems like an energy habit of the shaolin users of this forum. The thread is about Xing Yi, not what a master is. Beware Judge Fa Hui is going to catch you, he doesnt like double standards in politics and ethics.

Comment

Liu, the problem is not necessarily threads going off-topic, it's threads going off into the same topic, repeatedly.

Comment

its not about knowing all the answers..and like i said before its not about a teacher being a bad person or good person, neither should matter in a student teacher relationship.

just imagine, if teachers in america taught according to their own ethics and moral standpoint. lolo, maybe i should take that back maybe they are doing that hahaha that would make more sense!!

lolo, the fact of the matter is plenty of styles have standards which is what i said before. 90% of martial arts schools dont believe in teaching people who are "bullys" like you say lolo, i havent been disagreeing with that fact, and neither of my teachers were anything of the sort

but my point was, in chinese martial arts, these people arent there to teach u right from wrong and how to conduct yourself in public and what the role of a individual in society should be. im sorry to break this to you but the most important thing to teachers or "masters" in the past is if you can FIGHT. can u fight using what they taught you, can u pass on the art, can u SURVIVE lolo.

thats what it was about, not about being a social butterfly and sucking everyones dick and turning the other cheek.

why do u think there are so many fing weps in chinese martial arts? because they are fun to play with? THEY ARE ****ING WEAPONS, WEAPONS ARE FOR KILLING.

why is gung fu all about killing people and breaking bones and joints with litteraly every move. just now in this day and age have people been CHANGING the techniques to control people and subdue them non violently as possible.

but the techs out the forms are for killing, and maiming people and breaking shit.

anyway nough said i guess

Comment

Working...
                              X