No announcement yet.

A seriously interesting question!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

a fighter is a classification for a person who competes in events and/or risks injury because of fighting, on a frequent bases, in order to win...accomplish... or prove something. although we can all get our asses kicked...not everyone is or cares to be a fighter. it's also a misnomer to call yourself something you are not. so... i don't want to be or call myself a fighter; i'd just rather, well, be......

but i do fight, and i will fight if necessary, too..

you can freely call me whatever you'd like..... just, please, do it "nicely". OR ELSE!!! hahaha, lol.. ;-)
    Last edited by onesp1ng; 02-10-2008, 10:49 AM. Reason: connection
    ZhongwenMovies.com

Comment

Arhats answer was not an answer- he just wrote "fighter", emplying god knows what. I give up, you people are nuts!!! Can't even answer such a simple question.

Comment

there ya go... that's the spirit!!
        ZhongwenMovies.com

Comment

the way i read it, arhat was answering that he considers himself a fighter in the most simple way there is- just saying "fighter". its like raising your hand and saying "i".

master-lu, i give up. you're nuts. cant even take a simple answer! lol

Comment

Originally posted by shit for brains View Post
            Arhats answer was not an answer- he just wrote "fighter", emplying god knows what. I give up, you people are nuts!!! Can't even answer such a simple question.
            What a simple answer to a simple question implies should be basically self evident. You defined your parameters and the only place I deviate from such are in regards to fighting to save face, ego, or to satisfy another's ego. as the majority of your conditions were satisfactorily met and since you said I didn't have to get into hairsplitting details, I didn't feel like I needed to explain as to why I disagree with some of your parameters, hence my answer: "FIGHTER."

Since now it seems you do not want simple answers to simple questions I would explain further by saying if for example some tool box mouths off to me in the club, and challenges me to a fight, why should I bother with some drunken ridiculous sh!thead and their nonsense? At this stage in the game my reputation speaks for itself. I can see no value in tuning them up just for the sake of it. Such an attitude has no place in my way of life. First of all I work there. And if I am not working I am there to enjoy myself, or I am in a friend's establishment. Secondly, I have many responsibilities and people to look after. So I don't need to thump my chest anymore, that was like, 6th grade kind of sh!t. Challenge matches and what not are for people who do not know. Now things are quite serious, I already know what I can do, so there is no need to fabricate a weak cause for engagement. I have security for dealing with that. If the drunken ridiculous sh!thead is a pickpocket thief, or molested some girl, now we might have a different story if I am the one who catches them or the victim is known to me. So usually in those situations you just consider the source and conditions and their manner of arising and usually the source is more comical than threatening. You could easily crush some tool only to have them come back and shoot you dead. So much for you being a "fighter", under those parameters.

But I do not hesitate to fight to defend another for a just cause, to protect the innocent, fulfill vows or ties of friendship, or aid those weaker than myself if I feel there is justification and the need for action language.

Out of curiousity you said something about no guns or knives.

Do you have X-Ray vision...either you are willing to personally sacrifice and engage or you are not. What happens if you engage in a fight and suddenly the conditions change? Do your parameters presuppose fair opponents and if so that is not very realistic, in my opinion, because I have fought people whom I knew to be armed, and have not known to be armed. What difference does that make about whether you are a fighter.
            "Arhat, I am your father..."
            -the Dark Lord Cod

Comment

i think master lu is just trying to find comfort in that fact that he may or may not be talking to people who know their business...maybe not though maybe he really cares if we can fight lolo

i dont care who can fight or how good they are. ill fight pretty much anyone i have to unless its blatantly obvious i will die, and even then maybe lolo.

alot of people do like to call themselves "fighter" but if you dont like to fight, if you dont do it regularly, if your not good at it, and if your not REALLY training to FIGHT then whats the point in calling yourself a fighter
              "did you ask me to consider dick with you??" blooming tianshi lotus

Comment

I met Arhat.

He's a fighter. With great skill.

Don't even question it.

You should have seen him in our favorite Las Vegas place of worship. Some of the locals that he took on and repelled... Oh, it was great. Let's see, there was Blondezilla, the twins Polka Dots and Polka Ditz, oh, and that very dangerous Russian chick...
                Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

"You're just a jaded cynical mother****er...." Jeffpeg

(more comments in my User Profile)
                russbo.com

Comment

Was Gandhi a fighter? I think he said to become a victim might be the best way to non violence.

Of the bhikkhu it is said:
                  Beneficial is control of eye,Control of ear is beneficial too,Beneficial is control of nose,Control of tongue is beneficial too,Bodily control is beneficial,Control of speech is beneficial tooBeneficial is control of mind,Everywhere restraint is beneficial.The Bhikkhu here restrained in every wayFree utterly is he from every ill— Dhp 360-361

All the various rules of the Vinaya might indeed be summed up in these verses. Further we have the famous exhortation of Lord Buddha to the bhikkhus: "Be perfect in virtue (sila), O bhikkhus; be perfect in the Patimokkha. Dwell restrained according to the Patimokkha. Be perfect in conduct and (place of) resort seeing danger even in the slightest faults, and train yourselves by undertaking rightly the rules of training." It is from such exhortations as this that the scrupulousness of a good bhikkhu is born. He resolves to make effort to train himself thus: "I shall be perfect in virtue. I shall be perfect in the Patimokkha. I shall dwell restrained... perfect in conduct and (place of) resort, seeing danger even in the slightest faults..."

Unscrupulousness, if we consider it in the light of these passages will obviously indicate the presence of unrestraint and lack of mindfulness to say the least, and probably the lack of shame and fear of blame (ahiri, anottappa). Quite often strong currents of craving (tanha), possibly unrecognized, may be involved, pride (mana) may have a hand, (not wishing to submit to the whole discipline), and false views (miccha-ditthi) so often allied with pride, may tangle matters further by throwing out a smoke-screen of "reasons."

Comment

A fighter is one who fights simply for the love of fighting.

A warrior is one who fights because there is no choice.
                    Show me a man who has forgotten words, so that I can have a word with him.

Comment

Originally posted by liutangsanzang View Post
                      Was Gandhi a fighter? I think he said to become a victim might be the best way to non violence.
                      Like I said in another post.

Ghandi is dead. He didn't die of old age on some beach in India.

He was shot.

I guess being a "victim" didn't work for him.
                      Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

"You're just a jaded cynical mother****er...." Jeffpeg

(more comments in my User Profile)
                      russbo.com

Comment

Working...
                      X