Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Blooming tianshi lotus, if you like group poops more power to you. As doc said, “I have my limits”. Electronic dictionary is a nice idea. I will definitely look into it.
    As it seems, I better train with decheng. If his facilities (toilets, heaters and showers) are as good as doc says and I know he can speak some English, he is a shore thing. I kind of feel bad for deyang as the first offer I got to train in the temple was with deyang’s school and I even met his disciples to discuss it. It’s unfortunate for deyang, though things can change.

Hey doc, how much is decheng’s school for one year.

Comment

What's wrong with group poops? Nice way to meet people.

As I've said extensively in the site, going for one year is not exactly the best first thing to do over there. Read the various sections of the Shaolin FAQ, written more than ten years ago, and still relevant.

Personally, I wouldn't do it. But, then again, I'm old and worn out. And I prefer private poops.
      Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

"You're just a jaded cynical mother****er...." Jeffpeg

(more comments in my User Profile)
      russbo.com

Comment

Group poops. Makes me think of Marine Corps boot camp. No stalls, just a row of toilets. As you sit doing your business, there is a line of a half dozen or so recruits in line, facing you, staring at you, waiting for you to finish so they can go, all the while a drill instructor is yelling at all of you. Ah, memories.

Comment

Originally posted by doc View Post
          What's wrong with group poops? Nice way to meet people.
          it is a good way to socialize with your coaches. met one guy who told a story from his first experience there. he was squatting over the ditch doing his thing when one of the coaches came in and squatted next to him. but they didnt speak each other's languages. so the coach took out a box of noodles and offered some to the guy and started eating. all the while squatting next to each other having a poop in the poopshack.

Comment

had a polish friend, bodegon, a few years back who once told me a story of how he went into one of these open poop shacks to poop. now, being white, of course, this attracted local chinese natives to his presense. (like bees to honey...) lol...

so as the story goes...he's there, on a trip somewhere in yunnan province, stooped down in classical mabu pooping position style... pooping. a group of about 7 men walk by, stop, look, stare, and begin to discuss my friend's appearance. he's pooping; they're watching and discussing.

seeing that this friend has been studing chinese for over a decade and has many degree's in it, he could understand their conversation without flaw. apparently they felt he was russian because of a patch he wore on his jacket, and this became the primary source of interest..

yet, in the end, my friend said nothing. he wiped, put the used toilet paper in a small trash can that contained other balls of used toilet paper, lifted his pants, zipped up, and walked off.

i mean, what could he say?
            ZhongwenMovies.com

Comment

I dont know, but apparently that's not all ppl like to look at when others are on the toilet.. and nOt just in china. the guy was lucky that's where conversation focussed.

Blooming tianshi lotus.

Comment

No doc, I can’t come there for a short time to check the place out and then have training trips. I said this is my first post that this is not an option. For me it’s either come for one year or don’t come at all. It’s complicated to explain but take my word for it. That’s why, I said before, I need to know exactly what to expect and how to prepare. I know it’s a big thing, different culture language and poop holes. That’s why I prefer to stay in a hotel.
                Frankly speaking, pooping is the only thing that I am having problems agreeing with. Doing hard training is fine and also is the strange food as long as I can come back and poop in peace (without an audience and smell of a post Chernobyl sewer).
                Doc you still haven’t told me how much is decheng’s school.

Comment

there is a thread on shi decheng's school stickied in this forum with all that information.

anyway, doc's advice on not going over and committing for a year before you have any experience there is advice from experience. what if you get over there and dont like it? what if something goes wrong and you want to leave, but you already paid your non-refundable money?

its much better to take a short trip to check it out first before committing to something like that. but if there's really no other choice for you, you've been forewarned....

Comment

I understand the yearly limitation. You're not the first. But make sure that you keep your expectations flexible. And keep an open mind. And read through the Shaolin FAQ in the main part of the site. Knowledge is power, and understanding stuff will make it easier over there.

Being there in the winter months is useless. Many of these schools are closed; the coaches are gone, the town is deserted, and it's bloody cold. Keep your options open. Go to Thailand in the winter to train in Muay Thai, go back in April when Shaolin becomes "hospitable" again.

Decheng's prices, as do all of these other guys, change from time to time. The problem with getting a yearly price is that you have to pay a yearly price. That prevents you from "keeping your options open". As I've said many times before, don't pay a year in advance, to anyone. There are multiple threads in this forum that have useful information about this sort of thing. If you ignore certain people's "ranting" posts, you can read through a lot here.

Get a monthly price. Pay monthly. Force yourself to stay month by month. If it gets too obnoxious, leave and go somewhere else (different school, or even, different part of China for different style). I've had students spend some time in China with gong fu, some in Thailand with Muay Thai, and have even sent them subsequently to Japan for other martial arts training.

Shaolin is not the end all place to be.
                    Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

russbo.com

Comment

I did read the site and I do understand the bad conditions. I do thank you for all the warnings as they did come in handy. I agree with the monthly payments but one of the things that a yearly stay is useful, is in getting the one year student visa. I don’t want to waste time going back and forth to and from china on a visa run. The plane and accommodation prices in and out of china would outweigh the cost of a year stay. Also I want to challenge myself with stepping outside my comfort zone (but not by too much). I am not expecting the stay to be a breeze and frankly I am looking forward to some hard core training. Maybe I you are not understanding me or I am too enthusiastic to see the big picture, be it as it may, I am still determined to stay there for a year or not go at all. Perhaps, if they let me get a one year visa and let me pay monthly that will be great. Hey doc, to your understanding, is that even possible with schools, do they accommodate such arrangements.
                      I am not in the position to go from country to country learning different martial arts as I have big responsibilities waiting at home. This is the most I can do and I am pushing the envelope with it as it is. Long story short, this is my last time to do something I want before I take over the family business and fall into commitments. I hope this makes it more clear. It seems to be a double edged sword.

Comment

listen, he is going for one year damn it, we can't talk him out of it! that's what he wants. furthermore, he is going to be the first in history to find "privacy" in China, on his own, personal shitter!
                        ZhongwenMovies.com

Comment

Hate to tell you.

But I found privacy. Not sure if I was the first, but, it was private.

And god knows there were times when I needed it a lot....

russbo.com

Comment

well i hope he continues to keep us posted on his adventure. i'm sure he'll find what he seeks.
                            ZhongwenMovies.com

Comment

the website couldn't be opened ,whart iis the matter?

Comment

the website was not master deyang's official website and was therefore closed.

his official international website is http://shideyang.com/

Comment

Working...
                                X