X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

w00t, thanks = )

Comment

I'm not trying to be political. I think that those of you who know me, know that I am far from "political".

Obnoxious is probably more appropriate.

What I'm saying is, spend a month with Deyang, and a month with Decheng, living at each respective school, totally separate the experiences. Base your time on their schedules (when they'll be around). No reason to just train with one.
      Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

"You're just a jaded cynical mother****er...." Jeffpeg

(more comments in my User Profile)
      russbo.com

Comment

obnoxious is probably much more appropriate. . :P.

I plan to go back to dengefeng myself . the plan is that I will study shaolin calligraphy with one monk and study kungfu with another. you might just have to eat the expense and do it. if that's what you want.. that's probably what you're looking at.

Hatsumi Sensei once said somerthing like " the journey to be able to do it, is half the lesson".

Blooming tianshi lotus.

Comment

Interesting idea Doc but I don’t have that much money or contacts to jump from school to school plus the hassle with visa. I was thinking settling in one school and just focus on training without thinking where deyang and decheng are. This is the whole reason I am asking these questions. I want to know that I am making the right decision with deyang or decheng.

Doc perhaps you have more experience and connections dealing with the schools but I don’t. I also don’t have much time to shop around so I am trying to get information from knowledgeable people and on bases of that I will make my decision. Maybe you think this is not the best way to go about it but it is the only way I can do it.

Comment

bih- as doc said you'll not go wrong training with either of them. they are both about as high as you'll get in this day and age. not more than a few of that generation left.

the difference between the two schools i think will not be the quality of training but of facility. thats the only difference i can see. decheng has a school specifically for foreigners with all the western comforts. real toilets, showers, water, etc.. deyang's place cannot accommodate foreign students like that as of yet. you'll be thrown in with the domestic chinese students.

so really, the choice is yours and it is a choice of comfort, not training. even when the two masters arent there, their coaches will be teaching. and while their knowledge is not as vast, their skills are also tops and they know the applications and will teach them to you.

whichever way you choose you will not go wrong. as doc suggested maybe go to one for a while. then later go to the other. you dont have to do it all in the same trip. you said you want to go for a year or something. do it, and then the next trip you take, do the same in the other school, if you want.

the choice really isnt going to make that big of a difference.

Comment

Hi Doc,

Thanks for sharing the great story.

Best wishes,

George
              Shaolin Wahnam England

Comment

I kind of had an idea of staying in the nearby hotel while training in deyang’s school. My main problem is food as I will not be able to eat at the school cafeteria but will have to go back to the hotel and eat which might be a waste of commuting time. Any ideas on that.

Comment

bring your lunch...or eat nearby...
                  ZhongwenMovies.com

Comment

Originally posted by bih View Post
                    I kind of had an idea of staying in the nearby hotel while training in deyang’s school. My main problem is food as I will not be able to eat at the school cafeteria but will have to go back to the hotel and eat which might be a waste of commuting time. Any ideas on that.
                    there is a hotel 10 mins walk from the school. 1 yuan on the bus will get you there in no time. there are also stores right across from the school or up the street. then there are restaurants everywhere. but why cant you eat in the school?

besides, if you're going there for a long time it will just end up costing you more to stay at a hotel. the price is the same whether you stay at the school or in a hotel. if you stay in a hotel though, you can still eat at the school. you just have to pay for it of course.

Comment

You're better off not eating at Deyang's school, or any other school for that matter, LOL. Do what I always did; eat at the restaurants. They're cheap, and you have plenty of time to fit it in. I used to go with Decheng et al all the time. And I used to fit in about eight hours of training a day.

Now, another option for training is Shi Heng Jun's school. You won't train with him most probably, but his head coach is a friend of mine. I used to know and train with him (not as student, just train together) many years ago, when he was coaching for Shi Xing Hong's school. He's a good guy. Problem is, his understanding of traditional gong fu is Xing Hong's. Xing Hong used to change things all the time to "make them faster", losing the true combat applications in the process. But, it's all good. Also, Heng Jun's school is based up at the Da Fa Wen Si temple (where I brought the National Geographic team, and set up the Discovery Channel shoot). It is truly one of the most beautiful temples in China, and, on top of that, probably holds the true mantle when it comes to the "birthplace of chan buddhism" in China, as opposed to Shaolin. LIving accomodations are shit, but, it's one hell of a great place to be. I really love it up there.

Try using the standard font when you type. You're using black, which doesn't work well with all the various themes in the forum. I have it set up so that the standard fonts in each theme, "work".
                      Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

russbo.com

Comment

doc, that must be shi yongbin? he's a disciple of shi xinghong, correct? he was on the fight quest show training the group while at dafawangsi. that would be an awesome place to train.

Comment

I can't remember his name, and if that is his name, he doesn't deserve the "shi" part, LOL.

But he's very good at what he does, and though it may not be an awesome place to train, it is an awesome place to be.

russbo.com

Comment

Interesting idea doc. The reason why I don’t want to stay in school dorm is the toilets. Even if they have western style toilets, there is no way I will sit on a public or the schools one. It is just something I don’t do. I was told of a 3 star hotel near by deyang’s school so that might accommodate my toilet needs and perhaps heating and shower problems.

Thanks on the info about Da Fa Wen Si temple and Shi Heng Jun but I am more interested in learning unchanged traditional stuff, though I will certainly check the temple out.

For the restaurants, I need to have decent Chinese skills. I can speak limited Chinese but I can’t read Chinese, so menus will not help me. If I was in the hotel I might not have that problem as, I guess, they would have English menus and someone would spend at least some English (it’s a hotel after all).

LOL training in shaolin is so hard and I didn’t even get there.

Comment

At shaolin si, the toilets are a cement slab with a crack in it to excrete into. no doors on cubicles if I remember, but that's fairy standard all over china. When it comes down to it, it's not that big of a deal. a crack has probably never been so inviting, I can assure you, and i've been fortunate enough to appreciate such things at as cold as -20 degrees in the darkest night hrs .
                              lol@ "sitting" on the school's toilet seat, though. I almost hate to be the one t break it you, but there likely isn't going to be seat at most places. you can squat over the hole though. that's how most of the country does it from what I've seen.. and yeh. no doors.. so .. I may have seen and yes they may have seen me - the pale fml forgiener riight back. . particularly that they should inspect whether I was comfortable with the facilities or not.

I highly recommend that if you're concerned about food, a. you learn the words for fish - chicken - beef- eggs - milk- juice - and leafy veg and salt and fat and sugar and msg helps aswell. want and dont want - have and dont have also dont hurt to know.

you can buy a pocket translater from english to chinese for under $100 that also displays chinese characters and pinyin and has a function that will pronounce the words.

I think the main thing with nutrition in china, is getting enough protein, and being able to request fat free. fluids are a massive help, so I usually try to stay in stock of small lunchbox packs of milk that you can buy from the supermarket, which you can even get in no fat if you like, and also orange juice and something carbonated to aid metabolism of carbs and so forth. coffe if you drink is unsually another supermarket item aswell. particularly around dengfeng.
                              that way, I'm usually fairly covered no matter what happens. oh.. and multi vitamins. you might want to investigate what a chemist looks like and how to find them in there, and go and stop poop pills dont hurt neither.

I was considering last week myself how little I could live on out there, and I know some families exist only on 600 yuan a month. milk/ eggs / veg
                              and juice/ and I think I could probably get close.

I think that with some of these places are lighter on facilties and plushities, it's well worth the trade off of being there, and just the fact that if you're going through that helps to reaffirm your heart toward it. not only is that part of the gongfu lesson all of it's own, it also promotes sangha and respect for what ppl around you go through. well worth the adventure, imo. how often are you going to have the chance to go through that?

bring it on, I say. the more westerners who can, the easier it is the rest of us . that's exactly why so many places wont even bother trying to accomodate westerners, and why tibet's crying about being invaded.

enjoy your experience.

Blooming tianshi lotus.
                              Last edited by blooming tianshi lotus; 04-26-2008, 07:10 AM.

Comment

The Feng Yuan hotel is a mere five minute tuk tuk ride away from either Decheng's or Deyang's. I used to know the hotel manager there; he's gone to the Shaolin International, a more expensive "five star" place. Hotel prices have gone up over the past few years. There is a cheap place near Dechengs', he has a deal with them, so that's an option too. Understand your desire not to live in the school. After spending the first two year's trips at the wushu guan, I decided to hotel it also. I have my limits.

Decheng's school is currently rather clean, with hot showers and western toilets, and indoor training areas. It's a much better facility than what Deyang had last year.

russbo.com

Comment

Working...
                                X