Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: online daodejing

About Jains, i think an online version of Daodejing is also a good way to save paper: so no need to cut trees and take the risk to kill insects. Preaching again? Just try to be logical with non violence?

you've been warned.......  

I m just a miserable ignorant imitating the jain path without even believing it. Excuse my weaknesses and tendancies to believe i hold some truth and non violence.

By the way, what about killing insects walking the Dao? I always like this idea of the Dao being a real road where you should not step on insects. Had a beautiful view of the path at Tiger leaping george in Yunnan.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by liutangsanzang View Post
    I m just a miserable ignorant imitating the jain path without even believing it. Excuse my weaknesses and tendancies to believe i hold some truth and non violence.

By the way, what about killing insects walking the Dao? I always like this idea of the Dao being a real road where you should not step on insects. Had a beautiful view of the path at Tiger leaping george in Yunnan.
    Does that mean that eventually you will let yourself starve in an effort not to harm plants? That's what the Jains do.

Any chance of that occurring in the next 5-10 minutes?
    "For some reason I'm in a good mood today. I haven't left the house yet, though. "

"fa hui, you make buddhism sexy." -Zachsan

"Friends don't let friends do Taekwondo." -Nancy Reagan

Correct me if i am wrong but if jains starve to death it is to end up karma and not to be reborn. They dont think plants have a soul, jiva, so they cant hurt them.

That s an option i m considering but might be too Hinayana.

you know, they say where there's water, there's life.

the buddha spoke in one the quotes I posted about meat eating, and he says sentience being qualified as being 'created "from moisture " ' amongst other things. are you familar with any branch of darwinism or physics or chemistry by any chance? do you know how life comes about physiologically? it's by one or other solute or combination ( heavier molecule or combination thereof disolved ) in water . that's it. that's the rocket science of it.

Maybe the idea is to find another way to look at it.

Do you know about the science of the nature of how things come together? the forces and laws that apply to that?

there has to be a matching polarity harmony . the "vacancy" always exists though and so does the potential to have it filled. if you look at orbital diagrams, and electrons you can see this for yourself.

Blooming tianshi lotus.
    Last edited by blooming tianshi lotus; 05-03-2008 at 04:34 PM.
    "honestly girls dont seem to want anything other then whatever they want "atm" then that can always change:"
    maestro's love genius.

first we work to live, then we live to work, ..& then when someone else can do it good enough without us - we can all run off and die.
    Blooming tianshi lotus

"find something & thatd turn me on.." drahillionaire, warren buffet.

'if you keep going, eventually you get there' chuck norris

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by liutangsanzang View Post
    Correct me if i am wrong but if jains starve to death it is to end up karma and not to be reborn. They dont think plants have a soul, jiva, so they cant hurt them.

That s an option i m considering but might be too Hinayana.
    The practice is called Santhara:

Jainism believes that each and every action (eating included) may or may not become karma. Jains are strictly vegetarian, but a tree, even if it has only one sense, has life, and hence taking away a piece of it (vegetable, fruit, leaf) hurts it - thereby adding a negative karma to all who encourage this process.
    Seems a little extreme to me, and the dumbest thing is to call this Hinayana since it has nothing to do with Buddhism. The Buddha detested austerities like this.
    "For some reason I'm in a good mood today. I haven't left the house yet, though. "

"fa hui, you make buddhism sexy." -Zachsan

"Friends don't let friends do Taekwondo." -Nancy Reagan

No reactions about killing insects while walking on the Dao? Personally i always watch where i put my feet when i practice gongfu in nature.

Anyone would like to comment on Daodejing, 36?

"It is best to leave the fish down in his pool;
    Best to leave the State's sharpest weapons where non can see them"

Sorry if translation is bad.

Something to do with vegetarianism and political non violence?

That link doesn't seem to work anymore. You might try http://www.zhongwen.com/. click on read in the top left side. there's a version in Chinese and you're able to translate each character as you read.

There are only 10 types of people in this world.
    Those that understand binary and those that don't.

the link works fine for me.

as for the daodejing on zhongwen.com, well, if be fine for people who understand chinese. but for people who don't understand chnese, especially classical chinese, clicking on each character is a wothless pursuit (in my opnion), and only adds to the confusion.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast