No announcement yet.

Cyclone Nargis in Burma kills 15 000 people

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sorry if i am not clear. It is because i am not clear.
    are you sure? :-)
    ZhongwenMovies.com

Comment

I have some advice.

Tell your buddy Antonio to devote his volunteer energies elsewhere. Where he might be able to do some good.

Burma for now, is a lost cause. He's not going to change anything there. He doesn't have the capacity to do so.
      Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

"You're just a jaded cynical mother****er...." Jeffpeg

(more comments in my User Profile)
      russbo.com

Comment

I would never do that. Do you expect I might tell yoU hun to drop your heart's work and listen to mine ??

I think I'd rather just love ppl through whatevver they decide to do and wish them well with it.

I thought trying to enforce one's will was thereabouts the entiiiire topic here lately. @).

I think it's good for ppl's souls to offer a hand however they see fit if that's what they believe in.

Blooming tianshi lotus

Comment

As you get older, you realize that the concept of "wasting your time" is just that.

There are so many other areas of the world where volunteerism is worthwhile.
          Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

russbo.com

Comment

I dont know how old You are, but Antonio is, I think, 40 this yr . Myself 33.

I 've written to antonio many many times telling him how much I've enjoyed hearing about stories and experiences of his with things I might not ever have heard otherwise. Just like when you show photos and report on your experiences, or others do, and how that is appreciated and all adds to the collective pool.

If I could only find patronisation and dismisal of spirit toward others for how they choose to spend themselves vocationally or otherwise, to the point where I felt I had to hold an opinion where they ideally would be doing something else, I may aswell rot in hate and get cancer, because that really is what would likely happen.

You have to remember that just like your 'accident' and preceding events changed your life and direction, so did september 11 antonio's. I doo think he means to help and understand how to cooperate better towards world peace. who am I to say that my idea is better than his about how to do that ? I think all of it helps. Best truth wins. if that's his way, then godspeed to it.

Dont worry, I dont usually hear/ settle on a bad word against most ppl and what they do.. including yourself. I can't stand that type of garbage, because it assumes superiority. we dont have to do likewise, but, f*ck, you know. let ppl explore their hearts. they will anyway, sooo, we may aswell just accept that. I trust that ppl will do as they deem best and have gods honest reasons for it all the way to the core of their souls. I dont know what I wOuld suggest most helpful for an adult to do toward it all. I like what ii'm doing though, offering upcoming generations another way through my education syllabus reform, but I think it has to be something we personally come up with out of whatever principal we do and dont arrive at. I'm not going to force my teaty in his mouth though. In fact I quite like keeping it out of there.
            I'm probably not quite so willing to try to dominate like that, speaking of wasting time. I think you may've missed that about me. I dont want that kind of intimate responsiblity for someone.

Blooming tianshi lotus.
            Last edited by blooming tianshi lotus; 05-13-2008, 03:20 AM.

Comment

Chew on this for a while:

The Burmese government is allowing a few trucks into Burma, from Thailand. These trucks are carrying aid packages from the UN. The boxes have stickers on the side of them, labeling them, as from the UN (as usual).

The Burmese immigration officials are charging the drivers of each truck that crosses the border, 40,000 baht. Which, is about 1200 USD, depending upon the day's conversion rates.

The Burmese government then directs these UN aid trucks to deposit their loads into government storehouses. In these storehouses, they apply new labels to each box, identifying the box "as a gift from General xxxxx". They are then distributed, sometimes for a fee, to the Burmese people. Selected Burmese people.

You might tell Antonio to pick a better battle. There's absolutely no reason to waste one's life dealing with shits like this.

russbo.com

Comment

A news article from the Phuket Gazette, a local Thailand news organization. Which kind of mentions what I said above, though, in a "nicer way"

Navy accepting donations for cyclone relief

CAPE PANWA: The Royal Thai Navy Third Naval Command at Cape Panwa is accepting donations of food and equipment to provide emergency relief for victims of Cyclone Nargis in Myanmar.

Appropriate items for donation include florescent strip lights and fittings, corrugated iron, canvas and tarpaulin for tents, dried and canned food, rice and drinking water.

The donations will be taken to the Royal Thai Navy headquarters in Bangkok then handed over to the Royal Thai Air Force to be transported to Myanmar by air and handed over to the Myanmar Air Force....

After initially blocking international aid from arriving due to “security concerns”, Myanmar officials started letting foreign aid into the country yesterday, 11 days after Cyclone Nargis devastated the region.

However, the junta will not allow mass direct aid to be provided. So far, donated items must be handed over to Myanmar officials to distribute.

russbo.com

Comment

It sounds appropriate enough of a way to accept help if ppl feel they must offer. It's quite a bit diffreent to ppl going in and trying to occupy as saviors when clearly that would cause a threat to the national government's seat of power where it's not on the agenda to be incorporating external input.

Antonio isn't the only one pushing and application or for an invitation to assert a personal presence and control measure though. Aid agencies all over the world are doing exactly that, virtually exactly the same way, and from what I hear on the news, increasingly more emphatically.

I'd rather negotiate with the government factions and individual departments about infrastrucural changes in forums designed for that already, but, once again, If other ppl think they can succeed by other means, then good luck to them. At very bare bones least, it does continue to highlight the base issues for those who see those, and that will do me personally just fine.

Blooming tianshi lotus.

Comment

Latest update.

I almost hate to admit that I'm back online instead of working out or doing my godamming homework, but on the news tonight just moments ago, the new death toll for Burma was counted at 100 000 ppl, and many more still missing.

100 foreign doctors, after appeal to the Junta have also just received permission to attend on site.

A World vision leading executive says on his return from negotiations there to have burma accept more aid, that burma is the single most difficult place to do this in that they have ever experienced and that the burmese military say they have enough resources to deal with it and clearly just dont.

I dont know if anyone else gives the slightest toss about aany of this in either china or burma, but, I saw that happen, and I really dont mind saying so.

what I want to know is, who the godamming hell is offering these ppl a way out, by legal proposition mind you, to somewhere better if they want it? same old, same old mofo b.s. .

we can't alll just go there and pimp someone out. can we??

Bloomin tianshi lotus.

Comment

Some of these missionary types contacted me about going to Burma again. There's a medical team supposedly leaving on Wednesday,and they wanted to know if I would join them. On top of that, I've been asked to help out with some financial distribution stuff that originates in the US. But what's important here, is what these contacts have told me.

The Burmese govt is letting foreigners into Yangon to bring aid, however, they generally are not letting them out of the area to actually do work in the delta area, which was hit hardest. The military is searching supplies for monetary instruments, and apparently, "cherry picking" stuff is still going on. Some of these organizations based in Thailand have teams that go into Burma to try to help and find out what's going on, but they are still having trouble sending in "white" people. They seem to have greater success with darker skin Thai's who tend to look like Burmese. I'm not sure what chance a large bald white guy would have there at this time.

So, again, what's on the news and what's happening, some slight differences. It remains to be seen what I'll do; more meetings tomorrow.

russbo.com

Comment

Another fatality:

PHUKET: A dwarf sperm whale that washed up on Patong Beach this morning died from ingesting a wide variety of man-made items, researchers at the Phuket Marine Biological Center (PMBC) today told the Gazette.

The whale was discovered by local residents on the beach near the Soi Bangla intersection about 6 am...

However, the main cause of death was likely bleeding and inflammation of the whale’s stomach, which was densely packed with 1.6 kilograms of man-made debris, including rope, bottle caps and plastic bags, one of the latter produced in Malaysia and another bearing a United Nations logo.

Researchers believe that the trash rendered digestion impossible and was the main cause of the whale’s beaching and subsequent death.

russbo.com

Comment

Working...
                        X