No announcement yet.

Traveling without a guide

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Onesp1ng, i dont try to convert people to veg sinc e i try to aknowledge i dont hold a ultimate truth . Contrary to most meat eaters that would not ques tion their believes. I just try to put question ma rks, it is not about converting, it is about askin g.

And i believe food is a part of traveling to china . Though i ll try to be more concentrated.Thanks f or the focusing.Though you dont like the Zhuangzi  story? Cant he be a guide for traveling in C hina?

Comment

Originally posted by liutangsanzang View Post
      Onesp1ng, i dont try to convert people to veg sinc e i try to aknowledge i dont hold a ultimate truth . Contrary to most meat eaters that would not ques tion their believes. I just try to put question ma rks, it is not about converting, it is about askin g.

And i believe food is a part of traveling to china . Though i ll try to be more concentrated.Thanks f or the focusing.Though you dont like the Zhuangzi  story? Cant he be a guide for traveling in C hina?
      Yet, every time it feels like you are preaching.
      "For some reason I'm in a good mood today. I haven't left the house yet, though. "

"fa hui, you make buddhism sexy." -Zachsan

"Friends don't let friends do Taekwondo." -Nancy Reagan

Comment

he just doesnt know the difference between sharing and imposing.

anyhow, even if i ate meat, i would go vegetarian in china. especially not buying from the street vendors who keep their chicken out in the sun and flies all day long trying to sell it!

Comment

The chiinese chickens have no meat anyway. Chicken breasts are as bountiful and bodacious as the women's there.

There's something to be said for mass produced, hormone injected, unnatural food fed American chickens.

Yum. It's lunch time. It's KFC time.
          Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

"You're just a jaded cynical mother****er...." Jeffpeg

(more comments in my User Profile)
          russbo.com

Comment

dibs on the boneless buffalo wings...
            "Life is a run. In attack we run, in defense we run. When you can no longer run, time to die" - Shichiroji "Seven samurai"

Comment

Originally posted by kunoichi2003 View Post
              ok, Everyone I know seems to think that I am crazy to go to china without a guide or on a tour. Is it really that bad? I am only going for 2 weeks and have limited money to spend, I don't really want to spend money on a guide and I want to have the freedom of going to the places I want to see on my own schedual. Even my Taiji teacher (who is from china) is very concerned. Am I crazy?

K.

as usual by post 3ish the topic has drifted off on an all-together different tangent...

China without a tour guide, well i think that totally depends on your personality type. Thousands do it every year and if you don't fall to pieces at the first sign of pig dick on your plate, you should be fine.

I.M.H.O. half the fun of going anywhere is getting lost. Dealing with confusion and overcoming daily challenges. If you imagine the best thing about travel is room service, give China a miss.

You will be ripped off, but perhaps no more so than if you had a guide. Nobody will try rob you at knife point. Robbing a foriegner will only bring trouble. You'll be physically safe.

eat at road side stalls. millions do it everyday and very few of them die.

No matter how good you may think your Chinese is, your pronounciation probably sucks. Never mind that each region has it's own way of saying something. Chances are you learnt nothern based Putonghua. Be ready to be surprised at useless that can be sometimes.

So to sum it all up, go with the flow. Don't think you're terribly prepared or you'll get a shock. and enjoy the expiernace.

and lastly let me say that my dick is bigger than yours.

let's see where that takes this thread... http://russbo.org/vb/images/icons/icon12.gif

There are only 10 types of people in this world.
              Those that understand binary and those that don't.

Comment

Originally posted by renato View Post

and lastly let me say that my dick is bigger than yours.
                Well, let's hope so.

I think Kunoichi is a girl. One of the few that inhabits these dark dreary realms.

But great post, nonetheless.
                Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

russbo.com

Comment

yeh? Well, I think it's misleading.
                  Travellers might not get robbed at knife point , but the pick pocketing and general theft, particularly where bags are accessible, is widely famous in certain regions and even warned about in travel books like lonely planet.
                  It's also a misleading lie to say that women won't get attacked physically and that he can assure physical safety. I know I have had men knock on my hotel door and trying to force their way onto me once I opened the door and that I have to use martial skills to protect myself, and I 've seen more than one person pushed around and physically bullied whilst out and about in the many places I've been to there.

StUpid and misleading post. Are you sure you even read the whole thread??

Blooming tianshi lotus.

Comment

To reiterate what I said in one of my posts above, and what BL says.

Thailand is known as being very safe for foreigners, as is China. In fact, the laws are different to some degree foreigner versus domestic; crimes against foreigners are treated more harshly than crimes against domestic Thai's. The Thai's are very sensitive about tourists getting hurt; not only because it adversely affects their tourist economy, but because it goes against their openly hospitable nature. However, shit happens.

From the Phuket Gazette many weeks ago:
                    "The body of Hanna Charlotta Backlund, 27, who was found murdered on Mai Khao Beach yesterday morning, has been flown to Bangkok for forensic tests, Col Sakchai Limcharoen, Superintendent of Tah Chat Chai Police Station, told the Gazette this afternoon.

“There is no news to report at this time, but police are working quickly to solve this case. We have questioned many people, but no-one has reported being a witness to the crime, including her girl friend,” he said.

Hanna Charlotta was staying at Mai Khao Beach Bungalow resort with Emma Storman, who found Hanna’s body about 300 meters from the resort.
                    Tah Chat Chai Police Deputy Superintendent Lt Col Payongsak Petchrod told the Gazette, “The place where the body was found is hard to see and very quiet. There is a mound there and behind that is thick with trees. There are no restaurants near there, and no people.”

Emma told police that she did not see anyone in the area around the time of the murder, Lt Col Payongsak said. “Emma left the resort to buy some water and she told Hanna that she will join her sunbathing later. About 30 minutes later, she returned to find Hanna dead,” he said.

“Hanna was very beautiful and she was sunbathing topless. Emma said that they normally sunbathed topless if there were no people around,” he added.

“There were many stab wounds on her neck, one on her back, one near her navel and both of her hands had been cut by something sharp. It’s possible those wounds came from her fighting her attacker,” Lt Col Payongsak said."
                    It was an attempted rape. The Thai man that did this eventually gave himself up. He had been watching foreign girls on the beach for a while, and then, one day, just felt like raping one. She fought back; he killed her and escaped to Burma.

I still feel safe here in Thailand, but I don't let my girlfriend go anywhere alone.

russbo.com

Comment

to respond to blooming lotus...

Originally posted by blooming tianshi lotus View Post
                      Travellers might not get robbed at knife point , but the pick pocketing and general theft, particularly where bags are accessible, is widely famous in certain regions and even warned about in travel books like lonely planet.
                      um, show me a country that allows tourists and doesn't have theft. i thought i wouldn't have to state the obvious but let me anyway... there is theft in china. and if you're stupid enough to leave your luggage alone you deserve to robbed.

It's also a misleading lie
                      yes, you're good. that's most of us us do on this board. mislead others by lying. we all believe we are infallible and never wrong. so when it seems we are, it's because we enjoy lying.

StUpid and misleading post. Are you sure you even read the whole thread??
                      no of course i didn't read the whole thread... most of it doesn't have anything to do with the topic.
                      Last edited by renato; 05-18-2008, 06:45 AM. Reason: addition

Comment

Have you even beeen to china by any chance?

There are plenty of ways to contribute to discussions aound here without having to make stuff up, you know. It's not reeally that kind of a board .

I only corrected your post, because for 5 yrs now this forum has hosted all sorts of 'diary' and travel and follow up notes of some of the stuff I personally have been through and seen, alot of it there inn china, and I liike that ppl can come here and get real life information like that.

and room service iiis good in china. I 've had some room service crews go all over town to fetch me food they didn't have there and cook it for me aand deliver it to my door with a biig sweet smile and so forth. it's not all sticks and garbge .

oh, and in some places, like guangzhou, you can be robbed whilst weaaring your bag, let alone having had to leave it untended. and thaat is what Ii mean by using the force and staying aware of what's going on around one's self.
                        crowds are super dense there at times in places, and a backpack, standard item for many travellers world over, can get a person in the shit with crap like that.

dont blame mee because you decided to make stuff up.

Blooming tianshi lotus.

Comment

um...

lady, you're a twit.

i live in china, have for over one year and a half years. if you used the "force" you'd know that.
                          Last edited by renato; 05-20-2008, 02:31 PM. Reason: addition.

Comment

Well, I lived there for most of four years, and alll over the country just about, and if I wasn't using the force, I wouldn't have been able to tell everyone that you were lying in the first place, now would I.

As for the totally uncalled for 'twit' remark, besides that you came on this thread trying to earn some cool points by throwing around stupid words on a subject you just made things , Iup to speak about, I think I just might harbor resent for ppl who carry on like that and pretend otherwise that I didn't notice.

Doc, I can save for later also . .

I 've been there for longer than you though, and longer than most westerners around really, and I aam fml, so stU trying to argue with me! Everyone who has read the lonely planet travel guide for guangzhou knows you're lying.

Blooming tianshi lotus.

Comment

I give up...

i can see this a pointless conversation and i apologise to the rest of the board for goading the crazy lady. she's right, we're all wrong. at least i know i am.

and i'm a liar. my mom said so when i told her the dog ate my report card and now i have confirmation.

it must be true.

Comment

asshole,.. when you carried on trying to tie me sexually to fahui, ( Doc I'm addressing, btw in case anyone missed that) directly after LOOosing your attempt to get me to say something bad about antonio, and soon after you were fishing for something else similar by some comment or other when you were most recently in your subtle pre-hissy fit mode you sometimes kick into, I kneew you were brewing nasty. I didn't want to mention it though because pretending I can't hear and didn't notice is too much fun sometimes. just like clockwork! @).

I knooow you to be that type of insecure and jealous sooky baaaby in your private character and that you carry on like that in your tantrums, but , I dont choose others over you ( like reeeal life men ) when they insist neither, so I dont care if I dO say this publically. it's better than having you dream I stalk you anyway.

How's your mom, btw. it must be tough being all alone for real and indefinately permanently, decent partner aside. . mine's sick too.

I'm happy for you to just keep having tanties at my expense though until it's enough, so, que sera, huh.

I'll witness you.

Blooming tianshi lotus.

Comment

Working...
                                X